6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
April 20, 2022, 12:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from rancido
Regardless of what division we are in next season I am sure Crocombe will be 1st choice goalkeeper. However I do believe that Battersby will be developed to eventually become No 1. Crocombe is an improvement on Macca but I think he is really only good enough for League 2 football. If Battersby develops then he could, eventually, be our 1st choice 'keeper for many seasons to come.

Not sure Crocombe is the answer. He’s better in the air than Macca, his kicking is awful though and his shot stopping only what you’d expect.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
April 20, 2022, 2:29pm
Guest User
For me, the day Macca threw his toys out the pram was the end of his career at Grimsby.  At a guess I would say every player has been dropped at some time in their career, and not gone straight to the Managers office and asked for a transfer.

Thanks for the last 10 years Macca, but now it's time to move on!
Reply: 41 - 54
Poojah
April 20, 2022, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from 123614
For me, the day Macca threw his toys out the pram was the end of his career at Grimsby.  At a guess I would say every player has been dropped at some time in their career, and not gone straight to the Managers office and asked for a transfer.

Thanks for the last 10 years Macca, but now it's time to move on!

That happened under the ‘management’ of Marcus Bignot, who was an absolute fruit loop. I can’t imagine many people would be happy in their line of work if their boss was acting like a douche bag towards them.

I don’t see anywhere in the narrative that this did for him, anyway. He signed a lucrative 3 year deal and became team captain, rightly or wrongly, after the event. What’s cost him is a distinct loss of form and an increase in error making. That’s why he’s found himself replaced twice in two seasons, not because of his conduct off the pitch.

You don’t always need to read between the lines. Not everything is a conspiracy.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
horsforthmariner
April 20, 2022, 2:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
I think Macca has been a phenomenal servant to the club but Crocombe is better. It's really as simple as that. Macca might be a better shot stopper. But Crocombe is better with his feet, makes less howlers, controls his box better an fundamentally is the all-round better package.

Macca isn't getting better either. Since we got promoted he has frankly being going backwards. I think the Henderson debacle/ill health (was it meningitis?) knocked him. But he isn't the goalkeeper he was the season before we went up when he was brilliant, probably the best goalkeeper in the league.

It might be in the final game of the season if nothing is riding on it he could come on. I suspect he'll get another National League club, but it will depend on whether he wants to uproot his family.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Theimperialcoroner
April 20, 2022, 4:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I think Macca has been a phenomenal servant to the club but Crocombe is better. It's really as simple as that. Macca might be a better shot stopper. But Crocombe is better with his feet, makes less howlers, controls his box better an fundamentally is the all-round better package.

Macca isn't getting better either. Since we got promoted he has frankly being going backwards. I think the Henderson debacle/ill health (was it meningitis?) knocked him. But he isn't the goalkeeper he was the season before we went up when he was brilliant, probably the best goalkeeper in the league.

It might be in the final game of the season if nothing is riding on it he could come on. I suspect he'll get another National League club, but it will depend on whether he wants to uproot his family.

Generally agree apart from Crocombe being better with his feet. He’s awful. Watch the amount of times he kicks it straight down the middle to be meat and drink for NL centre halves or shanks it out of play.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
aldi_01
April 20, 2022, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whether there’s a wider issue or not, the fact nobody is even asking PH the question, especially considering it’s his testimonial season and all that hardly helps quash any rumours.

I like Macca and he’s been decent for us, won us games and kept us in games throughout his time here but to be honest, if you didn’t know Macca existed you’d have thought Crocombe had been our keeper for a while. I don’t think we miss Macca but equally, Crocombe is hardly a Henderson or Coyne…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
marinerjase
April 20, 2022, 10:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Fact is he’s been a loyal servant to the club, settled in the area when many others haven’t and been a great ambassador for the club. If, as it seems, that his time here is done - then that is what should be remembered imho.

Wish him all the best for the future, wherever that may be.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Maringer
April 21, 2022, 7:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Kicking is one of the strongest aspects of Crocombe's game. OK, he's only a bit more accurate than McKeown was, but he's a 5th division goalkeeper, so what can you really expect? The fact is that he generally keeps his goal kicks and clearances in and kicks them 20 yards further than McKeown was capable of. Pushing the opposition further back when they retain or challenge for possession is very important at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
Northbank Mariner
April 21, 2022, 7:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Can I just say Macca has been with us 10 years, he's into a testimonial year,how many players in our recent history can say they've given the club that kind of service?..
Yes, we all know he threw a wobbler over the Henderson/Bignot love affair but how do you expect him to react when a manager tells him he won't be playing whilst said manager is in charge!.
The man deserves so much kudos from the town faithful and the local community, so to see him almost fading into the shadows is a little disheartening tbh
We've all seen and known his weaknesses as a keeper, that's never changed in 10 years and I do believe Crocombe is a better all round keeper, do we need/want better still?, I'd say yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Abdul19
April 21, 2022, 7:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Poojah

That happened under the ‘management’ of Marcus Bignot, who was an absolute fruit loop. I can’t imagine many people would be happy in their line of work if their boss was acting like a douche bag towards them.

I don’t see anywhere in the narrative that this did for him, anyway. He signed a lucrative 3 year deal and became team captain, rightly or wrongly, after the event. What’s cost him is a distinct loss of form and an increase in error making. That’s why he’s found himself replaced twice in two seasons, not because of his conduct off the pitch.

You don’t always need to read between the lines. Not everything is a conspiracy.  

Exactly. The transfer request was more than 5 years ago! (he's signed 2 deals since then) Classic 2+2=73.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.