Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › London Stadium it is….
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

London Stadium it is….

This thread currently has 12,996 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2022, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from marinerjase
Rumours that the National League are now looking at a more ‘convenient’ location to host the play off final than West Ham’s ground.

But Elliott Jackson EXCLUSIVELY told everyone it was at West Ham's ground?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 104
Poojah
April 22, 2022, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Bit pony that less than two months out we still don’t have an official venue or a date.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 104
RichMariner
April 22, 2022, 2:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
It's just poor comms.

I don't think many fans (if any) would kick off if the league came out in the first place and said, for this season at least, it was going to wait until the very last possible (and reasonable) moment before deciding on the venue of the play-off final so that it was in the most convenient location for the likeliest clubs involved.

"Because we know that's what the fans want."

But I bet they're scared that four northern teams would make it, secure Old Trafford, and then the only two southern teams in the play-offs make the final!

They needed to agree it at the start of the season so everyone knew what it would be and couldn't complain. The fact that it's still unknown and up in the air doesn't reflect well on them at all.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 104
Son of Cod
April 22, 2022, 2:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
No issue with the location for me. It's easy to get to from pretty much anywhere in East London. Crap stadium though. Emirates or the new Spurs stadium would be better choices when all factors are considered. Or somewhere up North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 104
diehardmariner
April 22, 2022, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
You quite literally couldn't make it up.

As it stands at the minute, the most southerly team in the top 7 is Solihull.  You're talking nearly 3 hours on public transport for them, before you even account in the fact that the game is going to be on a Sunday in the middle of a bumper Bank Holiday, with a congested to hell London and reduced train services.  

Dagenham need to make up 4 points on us in their next 5 games or make up 3 on County, who have a game in hand.  I'm not saying it's unlikely but my money would be no-one dropping out of the top 7 before the end of the season.  The only team with form that suggests otherwise is Chesterfield but they've possibly got enough of a buffer.

If only you could stick a pin more or less in the middle of Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Chesterfield, Grimsby and Nottingham and find somewhere that has a large football ground...You know somewhere like Hillsborough (40,000 capacity) or even Elland Road (38,000).  Hell, if you wanted to move away from that central pin and increase capacity options you've got Old Trafford (74,000).  Both the Etihad and Anfield are around the 55,000.  There's loads of more suitable options than anything in London.   The fact Wembley is out of use was as gift to the Conference bigwigs, at a time when they would be able to look at the table and look at what would be best for the majority.

The London Stadium is a horrible and soulless experience.  I went there to watch West Ham v Birmingham in the FA Cup the same day we played Palace, thought it would be the chance to tick of a new ground whilst down there and I expected a good atmosphere.   I couldn't have been more disappointed if I tried.  

Hopefully the rumours of a review are true, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ashton Gate again that gets the nod.  Y'know, something that will be best for the fans...
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 104
Poojah
April 22, 2022, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from diehardmariner
You quite literally couldn't make it up.

As it stands at the minute, the most southerly team in the top 7 is Solihull.  You're talking nearly 3 hours on public transport for them, before you even account in the fact that the game is going to be on a Sunday in the middle of a bumper Bank Holiday, with a congested to hell London and reduced train services.  

Dagenham need to make up 4 points on us in their next 5 games or make up 3 on County, who have a game in hand.  I'm not saying it's unlikely but my money would be no-one dropping out of the top 7 before the end of the season.  The only team with form that suggests otherwise is Chesterfield but they've possibly got enough of a buffer.

If only you could stick a pin more or less in the middle of Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Chesterfield, Grimsby and Nottingham and find somewhere that has a large football ground...You know somewhere like Hillsborough (40,000 capacity) or even Elland Road (38,000).  Hell, if you wanted to move away from that central pin and increase capacity options you've got Old Trafford (74,000).  Both the Etihad and Anfield are around the 55,000.  There's loads of more suitable options than anything in London.   The fact Wembley is out of use was as gift to the Conference bigwigs, at a time when they would be able to look at the table and look at what would be best for the majority.

The London Stadium is a horrible and soulless experience.  I went there to watch West Ham v Birmingham in the FA Cup the same day we played Palace, thought it would be the chance to tick of a new ground whilst down there and I expected a good atmosphere.   I couldn't have been more disappointed if I tried.  

Hopefully the rumours of a review are true, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ashton Gate again that gets the nod.  Y'know, something that will be best for the fans...

To be fair, the National League has staged the play-off final at a northern ground as recently as 2011. At the Etihad in Manchester. When the two play-finalists were Luton and Wimbledon.

I don’t know what to expect, but I don’t expect it to follow sound logic.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 104
LH
April 22, 2022, 3:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
A two legged final with the second leg at the team finishing highest would make sense. A flashy stadium final makes sense in the league but the TV viewership will be 5 to low 6 figures. No-one’s really bothered outside of the this league.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 104
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2022, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair, the National League has staged the play-off final at a northern ground as recently as 2011. At the Etihad in Manchester. When the two play-finalists were Luton and Wimbledon.

I don’t know what to expect, but I don’t expect it to follow sound logic.

As much as I would like Wrexham gone if we don't go up, their arrogance towards this final needing to suit them makes me really hope they don't get to the final.

Given everything that is going on in London that weekend, it does make sense to move this final away from the capital. Most decent stadiums north of Birmingham would be a commute of about 2-3 hours max for the teams currently in the play-off places.

I'm thinking:
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
Goodison Park
St James Park
Stadium of Light
Riverside
Elland Road
Hillsborough
Villa Park
King Power

I'm expecting something to suit Wrexham best though so probably Millenium Stadium, somewhere in Liverpool/Manchester or Ashton Gate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 104
Theimperialcoroner
April 22, 2022, 3:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Either of the Manchester stadiums would suit

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 104
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2022, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Either of the Manchester stadiums would suit

Old Trafford please. I went to the Etihad about 14/15 years ago to randomly watch Man City v Tottenham in the League Cup with my mates. Truly appreciated how great Berbatov was that night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › London Stadium it is….

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.