Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,558 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
April 9, 2022, 7:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Fao barralad. In the strikers defence every cross's fromm MD today was massively over hit or didn't leave the floor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 73
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2022, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Safe home to all that travelled, we clearly should beat sides like that based upon the league table but sometimes it doesn’t happen.

It’s still in our hands but we’ll at least need to avoid defeat on Friday and win on Easter Monday.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 73
essexexile
April 9, 2022, 7:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Good teams find a way to win, just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 73
lew chaterleys lover
April 9, 2022, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
It is certainly squeaky bum time, but obviously, I would rather have a squeaky bum than be out of the picture with 7 games to go.

I think we would do well in the playoffs, but the biggest problem is getting there.

Although we are slightly better off than this morning, it doesn't feel like it with Dagenham not giving up and even Torquay making a late push, and we play them in a couple of weeks.

On the positive side, I think Boreham Wood are finished, and Notts County's confidence will have taken a dip after their thrashing today.

Next Friday is very tough, and on paper at least our rivals have easy or easier games so although I am still hopeful we can make the playoffs it is going to be a nervy ride.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 73
chaos33
April 9, 2022, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from barralad
Surprised no one has beaten me to it so here goes.
I feared the worst when the taxi driver who took me from the station to the ground reckoned that given the almost certainty that Weymouth were going down their players had effectively given up with some of them already on their holidays. Too many times over the years of non-league matches we've seen teams raise their game against us. We should have won.....convincingly. That we didn't can be put down to three things as far as I could see.
1. Weymouth's willingness to put their bodies on the line. I lost count at the number of last minute blocks or tackles- particularly late on.
2. Some bad luck-shots deflected to safety etc.
3. And most importantly for me the failure of certain players to execute their part in what was perhaps the clearest game plan I've seen for a long while. Rarely this season if at all has a Town team made so much use of width. We now have players who can consistently cross the ball well, be it in the air or low inviting the likes of Taylor to get in front of their marker at the near post. Sadly, too many times particularly in the second half, where we had no-one prepared to gamble in the box and nick a goal. The fact that three of our best chances fell to Smith (2) and the irrepressible Waterfall tells a story. Defensively we were pretty decent apart from one aberration on the part of Crocombe where he inexplicably passed to an opponent who to be fair was so surprised he didn't make the best of it and a free kick which thumped Crocombes left hand post.
Midfield got through some sterling work-our command of that area was unchallenged and some of the passing was exquisite.
There was an interesting 20 minutes or so from Manny D who proved a real handful. The only time their keeper dropped the ball Manny was there but his goal bound effort struck a defender on the line.
Scannell did some good work with some excellent crosses at a time when the efforts of some Weymouth players had left them barely able to stand.
Six minutes of time added on simply prolonged the agony.
In my view 2 points definitely lost but it would take a special sort of awkwardness to be disappointed with four points from the last two games.

Thanks mate. Totally trust your judgement. Safe  journey back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 73
louth_in_the_south
April 9, 2022, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
Hate to say it but thrashing Chesterfield is no good when you go and draw at a club like Weymouth who are guaranteed to go down.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 73
Maringer
April 9, 2022, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
If we take 2 points a game for the rest of the season, we'll end up with a play-off spot, so it certainly is good enough.

Marathon, not a sprint, etc...

My biggest concern now is whether we have 2 or 3 good consecutive performances in us providing we do finish in a play-off spot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 73
Poojah
April 9, 2022, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Hate to say it but thrashing Chesterfield is no good when you go and draw at a club like Weymouth who are guaranteed to go down.

Ok, so let me follow your logic. Are you saying that the three points we picked up in last week’s tricky away fixture are now null and void, or that it would have been better not to have won there at all?

Going into the Chesterfield game we were 1 point clear of 8th placed Boreham Wood, who had 3 games in had. Following today’s game, we’re now 4 points clear of Boreham Wood, who now have only 2 games in hand.

Which part of that is ‘no good’?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 73
Northbank Mariner
April 9, 2022, 8:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Poojah

Ok, so let me follow your logic. Are you saying that the three points we picked up in last week’s tricky away fixture are now null and void, or that it would have been better not to have won there at all?

Going into the Chesterfield game we were 1 point clear of 8th placed Boreham Wood, who had 3 games in had. Following today’s game, we’re now 4 points clear of Boreham Wood, who now have only 2 games in hand.

Which part of that is ‘no good’?

C'mon pal, stop trying to reason with the nay sayers on this board ..their nowhere to be seen when we get good results but climb out the woodwork as soon as it's a "not so good" day.. honestly I give up, I'm banging my head on the sideboard as we speak!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 73
Poojah
April 9, 2022, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

C'mon pal, stop trying to reason with the nay sayers on this board ..their nowhere to be seen when we get good results but climb out the woodwork as soon as it's a "not so good" day.. honestly I give up, I'm banging my head on the sideboard as we speak!!

I just find it a bit odd. It’s football; you’re not going to win every game all season. You’ll get some wins and some defeats you didn’t expect - we’ve spent enough time in this division to know that, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Boreham Wood have hardly won a game since they knocked Bournemouth out the cup. Bromley have dropped off a cliff. Are Notts County fans content with their 5-1 spanking at Torquay this afternoon?

The crux of posts like that is basically “yeah, but I’d rather we’d won”. It’s an almost childlike response; the amount of times I have arguments with my primary school aged kids which basically go “yeah, yeah, yeah, I don’t care about all of these other external factors, I just WANT it and I WANT it now”, followed by the usual tears and histrionics. “No, you’re not having it you little cúnts because that’s life, and in life you don’t always get what you want”.

Football, like life, is a competitive sport. There are others going about their business to fulfil their own objectives and to dent yours. Yeah, it’s sad that a club of Town’s stature can’t comfortably dispatch the likes of Weymouth, but that’s a product of the last 20 years, not this afternoon.

There were always going to be afternoon’s like today’s, but as it happens on balance we’re better off than we were 24 hours ago, and better off than if we’d won 5-0 and Boreham Wood and Notts County had won themselves, as might have been expected.

This has been a funny season but on the whole we’re doing ok under the circumstances. Anyone who feels Town are not meeting expectations had misguided expectations at the outset.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.