rancido
March 27, 2022, 9:50am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Whether a goal is conceded (or scored) in the first or last minute is immaterial to the result. A goal is a goal and a point is a point. It may FEEL bad to concede a late goal if you’re watching, but it’s the  number of goals conceded/scored that is important.

But the thing is that a better GD is as good as a point when it comes to finishing 7th or 8th. Even conceding 1 goal can make a difference to finishing in a play off position.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
jamesgtfc
March 27, 2022, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from rancido

But the thing is that a better GD is as good as a point when it comes to finishing 7th or 8th. Even conceding 1 goal can make a difference to finishing in a play off position.

It's very rare that goal difference is the settler.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
KingstonMariner
March 27, 2022, 10:45am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

What I said is if you conceded a goal it doesn’t matter what time it occurs. Not that it was OK to concede a goal.  So a 2:1 win, conceding a goal in the 90th minute puts you in no worse a position than winning 2:1, conceding a goal in the 1st minute. Same points, same goal difference.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
rancido
March 27, 2022, 10:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's very rare that goal difference is the settler.

Maybe but that occasion could arise. In the 1960's? Town finished in a League 2 relegation position by a fraction of a goal in GD's precursor, Goal Average. Fortunately there was no automatic relegation out of the league then and we were voted in to stay a league club. Never say never.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
devs
March 27, 2022, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Winning is everything and it totally changes mindset of fans
That match had all the hallmarks of 0-0 - it was pretty stale, dull, workmanlike, unexciting
We were gifted two goals - good job cos we created very little once again - and everyone happy
90% of our 'chances' are from around penalty box - very rarely do we create six-yard box chances

We all know that is the issue - final third and inability to create more chances and be ruthless

This is ultimately why I think we might fall short this season

And unless owners are prepared to splash a bit of cash next season we will struggle to get out if this league

Hurst's story about Solihull Moors player who he tried to sign in summer - suspect it was a striker/attacking player - but they chose SM over us purely cos of wages
Also revealed that player is on more per week than anyone at GTFC
That is what we are up against

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
NorthseaMariner
March 27, 2022, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
It could be very important come the end of season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
DB
March 27, 2022, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Chill out guys, we won and that's what counts. We are in the play offs now (again) and that's where we need to be. Two tough games in April and 4 games where we should harvest some good points.

Plays off and promotion for us I'm positive and optimistic for L2 football next year.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
Oly1987
March 27, 2022, 12:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Phil the cod
Stockport won't be caught now, so out af all the teams in the mix I think Solihull will cause us the most problems, they outplayed us for most of that game on Tuesday.
Chesterfield have been found out as a one man team, notts county a bit unpredictable, no one will want to play us.

Not sure i was watching the same game as you on Tuesday then. The way I saw it was an even contest first half with us sneaking the goal to go into the lead, then second half up until Efete went off we were the better team but and looking like we were going to get a second but with them also looking dangerous when they did get up our end of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
Phil the cod
March 27, 2022, 12:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Oly1987

Not sure i was watching the same game as you on Tuesday then. The way I saw it was an even contest first half with us sneaking the goal to go into the lead, then second half up until Efete went off we were the better team but and looking like we were going to get a second but with them also looking dangerous when they did get up our end of the pitch.

They were all over us second half.we had a spell for around 20 mins, but they looked dangerous every time they went forward.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
Phil the cod
March 27, 2022, 12:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from devs
Winning is everything and it totally changes mindset of fans
That match had all the hallmarks of 0-0 - it was pretty stale, dull, workmanlike, unexciting
We were gifted two goals - good job cos we created very little once again - and everyone happy
90% of our 'chances' are from around penalty box - very rarely do we create six-yard box chances

We all know that is the issue - final third and inability to create more chances and be ruthless

This is ultimately why I think we might fall short this season

And unless owners are prepared to splash a bit of cash next season we will struggle to get out if this league

Hurst's story about Solihull Moors player who he tried to sign in summer - suspect it was a striker/attacking player - but they chose SM over us purely cos of wages
Also revealed that player is on more per week than anyone at GTFC
That is what we are up against

is it really that long ago we were bemoaning the fact that we couldn't compete financially with the likes of Newcastle,wolves,notts forest, sheff United,Stoke,.......now it's the mighty footballing colossus that is Solihull moors.........did I dream those years in the championship? Solihull are another outfit that can only muster 40 fans for an away game btw, and we take 100 times that to notts county.....remind me how we can't compete to sign players? They'd rather go to Solihull! We are screwed if true.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.