lew chaterleys lover
March 23, 2022, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,785
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I totally agree with this. 7th or higher earns him another season. 8th or lower and we should bin him.

We finish 8th on goal difference, the club stable and improving but we get rid cos we didn't finish 7th ?

I think he has done enough to deserve another season and I don't think there is any chance the owners would make a change.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
GollyGTFC
March 23, 2022, 8:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359

We finish 8th on goal difference, the club stable and improving but we get rid cos we didn't finish 7th ?

I think he has done enough to deserve another season and I don't think there is any chance the owners would make a change.

1878 have shown they are quite happy to restructure and replace senior staff within the business side of the club. What’s make you think they won’t be similarly ruthless if they think Hurst has underachieved this season?

Hurst is spending their kid’s inheritance remember. They’re not going to just keep throwing more money at him if they aren’t convinced he will get the results they expect.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 52
GollyGTFC
March 23, 2022, 8:40am

Whiskey Drinker

Oh and finishing 8th is failure whether we’re 10 points behind 7th or -1 goal difference behind 7th.

1878 & Hurst will know the KPIs that were agreed upon before the season started and whether all/some/none have been achieved when the season is concluded.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
March 23, 2022, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Oh and finishing 8th is failure whether we’re 10 points behind 7th or -1 goal difference behind 7th.

1878 & Hurst will know the KPIs that were agreed upon before the season started and whether all/some/none have been achieved when the season is concluded.

There are many times I have wanted to pull the plug on Hurst including at the end of last season, but he seems integral to 1878's vision.

We are also playing some superb football which is a cut above any of our previous seasons down here. I still think we will make the playoffs as it happens and as long as the owners are prepared to back him financially once Fenty is paid off I personally wouldn't change the manager but it's only one opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2022, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
Hurst and the board will know if there are any mitigating circumstances that meant we didn't achieve our objectives. We've signed 20+ players this season so it was always likely to be an inconsistent one. Other teams like Bromley, Boreham Wood, Chesterfield had the basis of a good team to build on and that makes a huge difference.

Holohan on a 2 year deal shows the board still support Hurst and I do too. If we are there or thereabouts at the end of the season, I'm happy for him to continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
ska face
March 23, 2022, 9:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Can only talk generally as wasn’t there last night, but the interview with the Solihull manager demonstrates a completely different attitude to what Hurst has -

https://mobile.twitter.com/SolihullMoors/status/1506420238979670018

Overlooking the specifics, the general attitude is “if we lose, we lose, but we’ll go for it anyway” which is miles away from Hurst who’d rather sit and hope to nick a 1-1 rather than chancing it and maybe getting 3 points. I don’t think he understands the fans’ mentality and gets personally defensive when challenged on the issue. Nobody works all week and travels down to Yeovil or wherever to watch 90 mins of hopeful pragmatism.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Hagrid
March 23, 2022, 9:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,519
Gold Stars: 544

There are many times I have wanted to pull the plug on Hurst including at the end of last season, but he seems integral to 1878's vision.

We are also playing some superb football which is a cut above any of our previous seasons down here. I still think we will make the playoffs as it happens and as long as the owners are prepared to back him financially once Fenty is paid off I personally wouldn't change the manager but it's only one opinion.

im a big hurst fan, so much so that i was accused of fellating him  

But i feel we've got a good enough squad to be in the top 7 and in my eyes, if we dont achieve that, serious questions need to be asked of him. that said, i agree with you that the New Owners are unlikely to get rid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
GollyGTFC
March 23, 2022, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
- Albert Einstein
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 52
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2022, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
Can only talk generally as wasn’t there last night, but the interview with the Solihull manager demonstrates a completely different attitude to what Hurst has -

https://mobile.twitter.com/SolihullMoors/status/1506420238979670018

Overlooking the specifics, the general attitude is “if we lose, we lose, but we’ll go for it anyway” which is miles away from Hurst who’d rather sit and hope to nick a 1-1 rather than chancing it and maybe getting 3 points. I don’t think he understands the fans’ mentality and gets personally defensive when challenged on the issue. Nobody works all week and travels down to Yeovil or wherever to watch 90 mins of hopeful pragmatism.

I would love to see some data on taking risks vs pragmatism. I suppose it depends on where you are in the league too but at the top end the argument for taking risks is much stronger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
March 23, 2022, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
- Albert Einstein

Like changing the manager all the time?!

Football really is fine margins. Those last 12 minutes last night changed things dramatically but not my opinion that we are playing our best football in years and we still have plenty to play for.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Post match interview: substitutions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.