2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
March 21, 2022, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
I thought it was interesting to note that they currently find themselves 3rd in the Championship. Evidently, we’re poles apart in terms of league position right now, but I’ve always seen a lot of similarities between us and Luton.

Both unfashionable clubs situated in maligned towns, with old, small, not fit for purpose grounds that they’ve been fighting to move away from for decades. Since I started watching Town in 1992, we’ve spent a lot of time in the same division, both clubs punching above and below their respective weights on occasion.

We both found ourselves grossly mismanaged out of the football league. Both clubs struggled to get back into it over several years, despite large and passionate followings for that level. Historically, we have relatively similar crowds, and I’ve often felt that Luton and Town fans are made of similar stuff, albeit with different accents.

Shortly before Luton’s relegation to non-league in 2009, they were bought out by a consortium of successful fans, and have slowly but surely gone from strength-to-strength since. There has been no massive injection of cash or investment in infrastructure, though a new ground does genuinely seem to be on the horizon for them now. Just good management and steady incremental improvement.

I just thought it was a good example of what a club of similar size, stature and history to us can achieve with the right stewardship. Of course there will be differences between the two clubs too - Luton’s proximity to London is something we will never have. But it’s an interesting barometer of what’s possible.

Premier League football in Luton next season, three decades after just missing out on featuring in its inaugural season? It’s quite possible.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2022, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah
I thought it was interesting to note that they currently find themselves 3rd in the Championship. Evidently, we’re poles apart in terms of league position right now, but I’ve always seen a lot of similarities between us and Luton.

Both unfashionable clubs situated in maligned towns, with old, small, not fit for purpose grounds that they’ve been fighting to move away from for decades. Since I started watching Town in 1992, we’ve spent a lot of time in the same division, both clubs punching above and below their respective weights on occasion.

We both found ourselves grossly mismanaged out of the football league. Both clubs struggled to get back into it over several years, despite large and passionate followings for that level. Historically, we have relatively similar crowds, and I’ve often felt that Luton and Town fans are made of similar stuff, albeit with different accents.

Shortly before Luton’s relegation to non-league in 2009, they were bought out by a consortium of successful fans, and have slowly but surely gone from strength-to-strength since. There has been no massive injection of cash or investment in infrastructure, though a new ground does genuinely seem to be on the horizon for them now. Just good management and steady incremental improvement.

I just thought it was a good example of what a club of similar size, stature and history to us can achieve with the right stewardship. Of course there will be differences between the two clubs too - Luton’s proximity to London is something we will never have. But it’s an interesting barometer of what’s possible.

Premier League football in Luton next season, three decades after just missing out on featuring in its inaugural season? It’s quite possible.  

interesting to note that they where in the same Division as us up until 2014 and proper leadership by people who care and appear to want to do things for the betterment of their club and it’s stakeholders has moved them forward.

I have confidence that 1878 will move us forward by attracting more investment from people with the right motives.

Where this takes in footballing terms? I think that it’s unrealistic to think we’d be at Luton’s current level but I’m confident ultimately we’ll be back in the EFL within a reasonable time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
jamesgtfc
March 21, 2022, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
We've received about £1m in transfer income over the last 12 months but unfortunately we've not been able to spend it. It's hard to say when we will come across that level of income again but reinvesting is key to sustained success. Fantastic for clubs like us to see those similar to us doing well as it gives us hope.

My medium to long-term expectation is that we establish ourselves in League One with occasional stints in The Championship. I wouldn't turn down being where Luton are right now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
tanga_the_indestructible
March 21, 2022, 12:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

I know the MD there (our eldest kids were in the same class at school), so I've watched with interest what they do. He's a smart guy, very switched on, and obviously appointing Nathan Jones was a masterstroke and, a bit like Eddie Howe's brief tenure at Burnley, Jones returned after not doing particularly well at Stoke. I know that Fenty used to call Gary asking for advice (the MD's mrs is from Louth, so he knows GY area well) and was very interested in finding out how they'd got hold of Nathan (I think that appointing Michael Jolley was an attempt to emulate that).

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
March 21, 2022, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

A very interesting post and another thing to remember is that so many of the clubs who were on a par with us over the decades often had very similar or worse attendances to ours, despite any perceived advantages of location, population or anything else.  

We are actually in a very good place if we are starting out with 5-6000 gates in the 5th tier with hardly any away fans and we would surely hope to fill BP if we were on an upward trajectory. Very few of the now successful clubs would have started off their journey to success with our gates in the lower divisions.

I am excited for the journey ahead if we could get on a roll which was never going to possible under Fenty.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
TownSNAFU5
March 21, 2022, 5:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Luton, like us, had many good years in the Championship equivalent.  They were known for attacking football, scoring lots of goals.  Ricky Hill, Stein (maybe 2 of them) and others.

David Pleat was their manager. He said that Kevin Drinkell had the most potential of any striker in the lower divisions.  He was probably right.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
GollyGTFC
March 22, 2022, 8:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from HertsGTFC

interesting to note that they where in the same Division as us up until 2014 and proper leadership by people who care and appear to want to do things for the betterment of their club and it’s stakeholders has moved them forward.

I have confidence that 1878 will move us forward by attracting more investment from people with the right motives.

Where this takes in footballing terms? I think that it’s unrealistic to think we’d be at Luton’s current level but I’m confident ultimately we’ll be back in the EFL within a reasonable time.

They were in the same division as us 4 years ago (2017-18 season) when they got promoted out of League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 19
Poojah
March 22, 2022, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They were in the same division as us 4 years ago (2017-18 season) when they got promoted out of League 2.

Aye, and we even beat them quite comfortably at their place. How times change.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
HertsGTFC
March 22, 2022, 8:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yeah I know that my point which I didn’t make very well was that at the time we where both non league.

One point to note for the “Hurst Out” brigade is when we went there and won In 2016 that was an excellent tactical win and we outplayed them.

The next season under Slade they returned the compliment and we looked what we where, p1ss poor!

Thanks again John!  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Les Brechin
March 22, 2022, 9:09am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

Aye, and we even beat them quite comfortably at their place. How times change.

We lost 2-0 at Luton that season, just before Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42375636

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.