4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2022, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
So firstly Aldershot aren’t very good but credit to them they came had a go didn’t p1ss about trying to cheat and got on with the game and scored a good goal against a Town side who’d gone to dopey mode after scoring the 3rd goal.

It’s lucky the visitors aren’t very good as we frittered away numerous decent positions and chances made by some really hard work and some good approach play.

All that apart Town controlled the game overall, tried to move the ball and looked lively before the changes. I liked Sousa’s goal as he kept running and put himself in the right spot and though he didn’t have a great game in terms of overall play credit to McAtee as he can have an average game every week if he returns a brace.

So 10 points from 12 is an improvement on recent weeks and the players deserve the credit for doing their best to turn things around.

Good to see Scannell on the pitch I didn’t realise he was that quick, fingers crossed he can stay fit and prove the numpties who have posted on here calling him a wage thief wrong.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Poojah
February 12, 2022, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Enjoyable enough afternoon of football; a decent performance against a pretty limited looking Aldershot side and the margin of victory really ought to have been greater than two goals.

Some nice interplay at times and some strong individual performances. One or two looked a little off the pace but today’s not the day to scrutinise; we were comfortably good enough.

The first two goals were a little bizarre in their own unique way; quite what the goalkeeper did with McAtee’s speculative shot for the second I have no idea.

I thought Sousa was absolutely superb first half, just unplayable at times. Deserved his goal but could if not should have had a hat trick. He certainly should have scored when put through clean on goal by McAtee at 1-0 but as Hurst alluded to in the pre-match build up his lack of end product is why he’s here. If we can fix that we’ll have a hell of a player on our hands, because that aside he is an absolute delight to watch.

Less obvious today, but Crocombe looks increasingly like a man who knows he owns that shirt. Some excellent aerial dominance from set pieces and I think he’s the undisputed first choice now.

McAtee was the obvious man of the match, having scored two goals, but I agree with one or two others that it wasn’t his best performance in Town colours today. Even on a bad day he will always be one of the best players on the pitch at this level, and his work rate is unquestionable - his decision making just wasn’t great at times. For me, the MoM goes to Clifton who was fúcking everywhere today, dictating things defensively and going forward. Cracking display for the lad.

The league table is looking ever so slightly better tonight than it did a month ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
HarrogateMariner
February 13, 2022, 1:09am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Similar views to everyone else from myself. Comfortable win against a poor side but to give them and their management credit they at least came to play and didn't stick everyone behind the ball and time waste. You can only beat what is in front of you and they do have a very good away record, so all in all a good win.

Thought Sousa was excellent first half and I have to say I prefer Raikhy to Hunt. Thought he was also very good and looks a lot stronger and wins the ball back more. For me Burgess grew into the game, which is understandable given it was his full debut.  McAtee not at his best but scored 2 so no complaints! Also absolutely love Luke Waterfall this season, thought he read everything very well today except for the challenge that got him booked. And as noted by others Clifton once more excellent. He will be disappointed with their goal but it was a superb tackle and pass for McAtee's second.

Enjoyable game, good result. We look a settled team again and in with a real shout for the playoffs. Happy days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
arryarryarry
February 13, 2022, 3:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
A good win. I thought we played OK in the first half but thought they looked poor.

2nd half, a very well taken goal by McAtee but after that it was a bit meh. Even the crowd couldn't get warmed up.

Dreadful defending for their goal.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 8:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I thought it was one of the best performances of the season so far. We are better than Aldershot and we made it look like it too. They aren’t the greatest team but they gave it a go at the least.

We played with more urgency as was needed and moved the ball quicker in midfield, Burgess being a big part of that.

Hopefully follow it up on Friday now!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 8:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Is Friday’s game on BT Sport?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Hagrid
February 13, 2022, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from chaos33
Is Friday’s game on BT Sport?

It isnt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
TAGG
February 13, 2022, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Just wondering what people think of Hursts comments that we were better Tuesday night?

Imo Tuesday was disciplined junk, we seem to play to a game plan that was try to play through the middle, and the team stuck to that and the manager was unwilling to change it.

Saturday we looked to play around the sides and reaped the rewards.
Or was I watch different games to him???

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
ginnywings
February 13, 2022, 4:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TAGG
Just wondering what people think of Hursts comments that we were better Tuesday night?

Imo Tuesday was disciplined junk, we seem to play to a game plan that was try to play through the middle, and the team stuck to that and the manager was unwilling to change it.

I thought we were livelier on Tuesday night, but when you don't score, it tends to cloud the thinking about the performance.

We scored goals and won doesn't necessarily mean we played better. The second half was very drab, but we didn't need to do anything other than run down the clock and keep them at bay.

Yesterday, Sousa could quite easily have skied his goal if he had been a bit further out and their keeper could have easily saved the second one had he not made a complete hash of it, then things look very different if you go in at half time 0-0 again.

I don't think we were particularly impressive in either game, but we made enough chances on Tuesday to have won that one too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Kris2
February 13, 2022, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TAGG

On Tuesday we played against a team that did nothing but defend in numbers and try to slow the game down. We worked harder but couldn't break them down and stop them being able to frustrate us. Way I see it we played in a much more open game on Saturday where it's easier to be free scoring and also let one in. King's Lynn had absolutely no intention of trying to play against us so it left much less room to find space and score goals. The reason we could freely get crosses in is because Aldershot went for it against us and we took our chances.

Maybe he just views the game in a different way to you and that's why he's a football manager and you're a fan. Scoring more goals doesn't mean we played better.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.