Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Baidu Spider and 254 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,357 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
February 10, 2022, 1:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We had a "competitive" budget whatever that means. I got told it wasn't a top 5 budget though, meaning he technically over-achieved.

Since leaving Shrewsbury he's taken 3 pretty awful jobs. At Ipswich he was recruited because of his lower league credentials, the best players were sold which he was conveniently blamed for. At Scunny he was in conflict with Peter Swann pretty quickly. I always remember listening to RH one Saturday night and Matt Dean spoke to Hurst and Peter Swann. They both said totally different things regarding January transfers which told me the two of them weren't going to be working with one another much longer.

Then he came here, a club in freefall with the owner in the process of selling up.

I'd be bowled over if we didn't have a top 5 budget for the entirety of our first jolly down in this division! And yeah, I seem to remember there being a bit of Swann/Hurst beef on Radio Humberside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Son of Cod

By agenda, I meant the clear anti-Hurst bias that you've had across both his reigns here. Not denying his record isn't great since going to Ipswich, but you also can't deny that he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip both there and at Scunny. He spent far more money at Ipswich than McCarthy because McCarthy was given absolutely pittance but Hurst wasn't exactly given a competitive Championship budget. He was given a top end L1 budget, so he signed top end L1 players at that time. McCarthy also quit because their fans are known idiots who expected a promotion push on said pittance budget and as has been said their board has gone onto be incredibly trigger happy so I don't think shitter of a task is too wide of the mark.

Regarding it taking too long for us to go up last time, I'll once again say what I've now said countless times to no response of any merit whatsoever from any of the Hurst Out lot...we never had a title winning budget. We had a budget to get us into the playoffs and he delivered that in 80% of his full seasons with us, the 20% being his first full season. How long do you think is a reasonable amount of time for us to get out of this division if you're given a top 5 budget over a title winning budget? I think a lot of the points you raise are definitely valid by the way and they're things that frustrate me about Hurst too, but I just find so much of the Hurst criticism to be incredibly knee-jerk.

Seeing as you obviously have details of our budgets, what level is our budget this season?
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
pontoonlew
February 10, 2022, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from ginnywings

They have had 6 managers since Hurst in less than 4 years, so...

Tidying up the mess he made
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
chaos33
February 10, 2022, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
At the time I didn’t think Hurst was ready for a managerial post at that level. I don’t believe he had the tactical competency or the player contacts, and so it proved really. It was a bit of an over promotion for me. I do think he’s a good manager at the L1/2/NL level though.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
ginnywings
February 10, 2022, 7:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

What a load of nosense. Lambert was there for 2.5 years, Cook for nearly a year and the current manager for over a year.

Hurst wasn't THAT bad at Scunny, they had a team akin to what Newell 'built' here, talent but bad attitudes.

Only it's not.

McCarthy left in April 2018, which is less than four years ago. Since then, they have had eight caretaker managers and permanent managers. Only Lambert has managed more than 100 games in that time.

The fact Lambert has taken up almost  2 1/2 years of that time makes it worse, not better.

Cook lasted 9 months and the current manager has been there 2 months, so clearly not nonsense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
pen penfras
February 11, 2022, 9:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

Only it's not.

McCarthy left in April 2018, which is less than four years ago. Since then, they have had eight caretaker managers and permanent managers. Only Lambert has managed more than 100 games in that time.

The fact Lambert has taken up almost  2 1/2 years of that time makes it worse, not better.

Cook lasted 9 months and the current manager has been there 2 months, so clearly not nonsense.

Caretaker managers don't count as managers unless you're trying to make a point that's not there.

Hurst won once in 15 games and that's sacking territory regardless of how bad your budget is.
Lambert had 2.5 years and a poor win rate, especially as one of the biggest clubs in that division.
Cook had 29.5% win rate over 9 months in league one where they would expect to be getting promotion.
Then there's the new guy that's just started.

So 4 since McCarthy and one of those was absolutely horrendous. It's still a lot, but it's not basket case territory. And their budget is a hell of a lot bigger than their attainment, so they've all failed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 78
Hagrid
February 11, 2022, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,523
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from pontoonlew

Tidying up the mess he made

are you sure you dont have an agenda?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
ginnywings
February 11, 2022, 12:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

Caretaker managers don't count as managers unless you're trying to make a point that's not there.

Hurst won once in 15 games and that's sacking territory regardless of how bad your budget is.
Lambert had 2.5 years and a poor win rate, especially as one of the biggest clubs in that division.
Cook had 29.5% win rate over 9 months in league one where they would expect to be getting promotion.
Then there's the new guy that's just started.

So 4 since McCarthy and one of those was absolutely horrendous. It's still a lot, but it's not basket case territory. And their budget is a hell of a lot bigger than their attainment, so they've all failed.

I never said they did, but they are a club that has had only 19 full time managers in their history and half a dozen of those have been in recent years. That suggests to me a club that is woefully underachieving and blaming it on the managers to appease the fans. You also got the tenure of Cook and the new guy totally wrong. You said they had both had a year in the job when they haven't had a year between them and the new guy has only been there about eight weeks.

Hurst is one of several that have come and gone who haven't had an impact, yet Pontoonlew, who clearly has an agenda against PH, used his sacking there and at Scunny to try and make his case against him. Scunny have followed a similar path with a plethora of managers coming and going in recent seasons and they are still in the mire. I'm not sure those clubs can be used as an example of how PH has failed as a manager since his time at Shrewsbury. He didn't have much chance at either club in my opinion.

Those two clubs apart, he has made every team he has managed better and got four of those to the play offs (ourselves four times) all four of them to play off finals (ourselves twice) and three of them promoted, including us.

I think he has made us much better and will make us better still in time. But that is the problem; some think he should do it overnight.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
buckstown
February 11, 2022, 1:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Did Hurst and Cook stand a chance at Ipswich? Bit like would Rocky Marciano have beaten Muhammed Ali, great question but we'll never know. It's all about opinion.
Cook is back at Chesterfield this morning replacing the sacked James Rowe, so it'll be interesting to how the old Ipswich rejects get on in the next 12 months
I do think PH is a builder and will get it right given time, trouble is it won't be fast enough for the people who think we're entitled to instant success. Have a sneaky feeling that the game has moved on since Cook was successful at Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan but we'll see. Spireites fans re delighted he's back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.