Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP

This thread currently has 10,113 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner56
February 9, 2022, 5:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Graham Holness aka Legend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
Simon
February 9, 2022, 6:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
When I was a lad I sat behind Karen Brady in the upper findus when she came as CEO of Birmingham City, she was a great laff and we had a bit of banter throughout the game, tried for 90 mins to get a date but she was having none of it  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
woodi147
February 9, 2022, 6:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
Jack Charlton.. Bobby Charlton  .. nobby styles..
Sure they played in a international  x1 in the late 70s
And Gary Birtles double  Euro  Cup winner  79 /80
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
barralad
February 9, 2022, 6:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from mike502

A contemporary press account indicates that Kissinger attending BP is an urban myth:

Sunday Telegraph, 25/4/1976
Crosland, Kissinger Eat in the Mess

Even by the standards of modern jet-age diplomacy it was an extraordinary way of having breakfast.

Due to Mr. Anthony Crosland's "crucial constituency engagements in Grimsby" the new Foreign Secretary had bacon and eggs with more than 100 assorted diplomats, secret servicemen, international journalists and Dr. Henry Kissinger at an R.A.F. Officers Mess in the heart of rural Lincolnshire.

To attend this "working breakfast," Dr. Kissinger had to rise from his bed at Claridge's after about five hours sleep, drive to Heathrow and fly more than 100 miles up to RAF Waddington in his American Government 707.

Dragged along with him were Mrs. Anne Armstrong, the American Ambassador, a bevy of State Department diplomats. the American Press Corps and enough armed bodyguards to stop a small revolution. Within 2 1/2 hours. Dr. Kissinger and his entourage were airborne again, winging their way to Nairobi at the start of a gruelling two-week tour of seven African capitals aimed at averting a full scale war in Rhodesia.

And what were these " crucial " engagements ot Mr. Crosland? On Friday night he attended a committee meeting of Grimsby Constituency Labour party and presented some trophies at a leisure conference held at Cleethorpes by the Humberside County Council.

Then, yesterday, after waving Dr. Kissinger goodbye, he held a routine constituents' surgery and went on to watch Grimsby Town play Gillingham in a battle against relegation to the Fourth Division.

Thanks for posting this. I've never seen it.
Two things spring to mind
1. The timing. No time for a meeting and the match
2. The security. Sure someone would have noticed such a large security presence but equally surely the chances of any security set up sanctioning a visit to an untested large venue where, in the main stand, the chance of Kissinger being assaulted by stray Werthers presented a huge security risk are next to none.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
ginnywings
February 9, 2022, 7:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
A young Ray Houghton, later of Liverpool and the Republic of Ireland fame, playing for Fulham and absolutely destroying us.

Who was that midfielder for Portsmouth who was on another level to everyone else. A Czech or Yugoslav or Croation or some such International player.

Was sat with Howard Wilkinson at a reserve game his son was playing in. Seen quite a few famous faces at reserve games, either scouting or watching family members play.

Danny Rose in the Osmond watching his brother play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
marinerjase
February 9, 2022, 7:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Prosinecki for Pompey

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
Maringer
February 9, 2022, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from marinerjase
Prosinecki for Pompey

I think you'll find it was actually Albert Steptoe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 113
forza ivano
February 9, 2022, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from marinerjase
Prosinecki for Pompey

what a superb player he was. absolutely ran the show and destroyed us at Fratton Park
Beat individual performance i ever saw along with Peter Barnes running us ragged at WBA in the FA Cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 9, 2022, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano

what a superb player he was. absolutely ran the show and destroyed us at Fratton Park
Beat individual performance i ever saw along with Peter Barnes running us ragged at WBA in the FA Cup

That away game he was unplayable. They had a great team if I remember rightly with a young Peter crouch up front.

The day was roasting on the seats in the open corner. Got sun burnt in the process

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
February 9, 2022, 8:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That away game he was unplayable. They had a great team if I remember rightly with a young Peter crouch up front.

The day was roasting on the seats in the open corner. Got sun burnt in the process

Didn't we lose 4-2 and we may have finished with 10? Mike Jeffrey scored too. You're right it was boiling. I think the other bloke up front for them was quite useful too, can't remember who it was though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.