December 5, 2021, 10:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
100% agree
The happy clappers quotes are pathetic, meaningless and idiotic
If being a 'happy clapper' is wanting stability, structure and to give managers a lengthy period of time then I am a happy clapper
Oldham - 17 managers in 10 years - that's gone really well!

Quoted from ginnywings
I just don't get all these references to happy clappers and accepting mediocrity.

We, as fans, can do nothing about the situation on the pitch, other than support, or don't support, the team.

It's not about accepting mediocrity and applauding failure. No one likes to see their team lose games, especially a run of games, but there are differing views as to what should, or can be done.

We've all witnessed the same sh1te over the same period of time going back years, but IMO (and I'm quite aware other opinions may differ), we can't just keep ripping it up and starting again. Been there, done that.

If however, we lose the next 6 games, then yeah, the Hurst out argument gains more traction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that certain of us are happy with the results just because we aren't calling for the head of the manager on a silver platter.  

We were good until recently and now we are bad. We may get good again, or we may not. The beginning of the season had great promise, which for me, buys PH more time.

So to you who aren't accepting of the situation as you keep pointing out- what do you intend to do about it to show your non-acceptance?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
denni266
December 5, 2021, 10:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from heppy88
You say Denni 266 is over the top, but I agree with his sentiment. The performance today was woeful.

There are those on here that preach “building” or “consolidation” or “giving time”. They generally accept mediocrity and mediocrity will always be enough for them.

But Grimsby Town and it’s supporters have had 20 years of utter shite. Year after year, promise after promise, excuse after excuse. We have no choice but to support our team but my God it seems like fook!ng torture at times.

Hurst took 6 years to get us out of this hell hole before and then he only scraped past the finish line. Why will it be any different this time? Are you prepared for another six (or longer) years to gain promotion? How long is an acceptable length of time?

Why shouldn’t we want promotion at the first time of asking? Why shouldn’t the fans be angry?
Why shouldn’t fans call for Hursts head after losing 6 out of the last 7 games?

Foo(k mediocrity I support Grimsby Town and some of us want success and not having to take 20 years to achieve it!!

Well said . at last someone can see past the new over priced boozer and can see that a football club is about the football or lack of it in our case ..  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Northbank Mariner
December 5, 2021, 10:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from denni266

Well said . at last someone can see past the new over priced boozer and can see that a football club is about the football or lack of it in our case ..  

And was you saying that 9 games ago?....thought not!..
Yes, at the moment the results and performances have fell off the edge of a cliff and if Hurst can't turn around then his tenure should be questioned by those in the higher echelons of the club but I cannot agree that a club is all about the football.
It runs deeper, it's about connection to the fan base and being a focal point to the local community.
And as a foot note, should Hurst be relieved of his duties I have no doubt that the improvement of the training facilities and introduction of certain members of backroom staff the club, as a whole, becomes more attractive to a higher calibre of potential managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 5, 2021, 10:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from sam gy
Do think we need a bit of rationale re the apparent toxic atmosphere in the ground too. Saw on social media there was a lot of talk about it, asked my mate who was there at the match and he said “a couple of people chanted Hurst Out”.

Not saying there wasn’t handbags or whatever, but social media has a habit of blowing these things out of proportion.

Anyway, not really seen anyone mention the lad, but congrats to Bell for his goal. Perhaps his first professional one? Maybe he is the goalscorer  we need.

I was there and not far from 'the incident'.

Several supporters were very vocal about sacking Hurst and tried to get a chant going in the second half. It was audible but eventually got drowned out by a majority chanting 'PH's black and white army'

One individual (late 20's, tall, slim, black down jacket) stood on the 'concourse' at the front of the stand and exchanged words with an individual in the stand that very clearly included an invitation to meet him outside the ground after the game. The invitation was not for a discussion and a glass of port. Said individual then went into the stand and a fight started that included a very small group of maybe 4 to 7 individuals. It lasted 15 seconds and then our friend was dragged away.
Bizarrely the early exchange took place with a police officer almost stood next to the key protagonist and no attempt was made to shut him up or pull him away.

There was a very vocal group abusing Hurst but the majority of us were just frustrated at how the team were playing. Most of the abuse was the usual crap and it was a minority. A group of 12 year olds in Primark 'designer' gear used the opportunity to use naughty words their mum would send them to their bedrooms for using at home.

But, this may have been the start of more widespread discontent if we continue to play so poorly and get beaten week in week out. You could sense that most people agreed that the team were poor but a majority are still prepared to give Hurst a chance. That preparedness may not last much longer.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
chaos33
December 5, 2021, 10:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Ah….how nice to read a balanced, cogent argument.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
Vance Warner
December 5, 2021, 11:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106

I was there and not far from 'the incident'.

Several supporters were very vocal about sacking Hurst and tried to get a chant going in the second half. It was audible but eventually got drowned out by a majority chanting 'PH's black and white army'

One individual (late 20's, tall, slim, black down jacket) stood on the 'concourse' at the front of the stand and exchanged words with an individual in the stand that very clearly included an invitation to meet him outside the ground after the game. The invitation was not for a discussion and a glass of port. Said individual then went into the stand and a fight started that included a very small group of maybe 4 to 7 individuals. It lasted 15 seconds and then our friend was dragged away.
Bizarrely the early exchange took place with a police officer almost stood next to the key protagonist and no attempt was made to shut him up or pull him away.

There was a very vocal group abusing Hurst but the majority of us were just frustrated at how the team were playing. Most of the abuse was the usual crap and it was a minority. A group of 12 year olds in Primark 'designer' gear used the opportunity to use naughty words their mum would send them to their bedrooms for using at home.

But, this may have been the start of more widespread discontent if we continue to play so poorly and get beaten week in week out. You could sense that most people agreed that the team were poor but a majority are still prepared to give Hurst a chance. That preparedness may not last much longer.

Just like last time it seems to be a small number of the Stone Island crew who have a particular issue with Hurst. Others then follow like sheep. I can only assume this is because they admire their ability to bounce up and down behind the police and spend a fortune to look exactly the same as their mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
dapperz fun pub
December 5, 2021, 11:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Vance Warner

Just like last time it seems to be a small number of the Stone Island crew who have a particular issue with Hurst. Others then follow like sheep. I can only assume this is because they admire their ability to bounce up and down behind the police and spend a fortune to look exactly the same as their mates.

My 82 year old neighbour who played semi professional in his day thinks hurst is excrement he’s just had his knees done and I’ve never seen him in stone island but to be fair he does have a berghaus jacket though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
Davec
December 5, 2021, 11:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Here is my attempt at a report, please forgive me for any inaccuracies as by the time kick off come round I already had too much to drink and was seeing double for most of the first half.

Well we didn't get going did we? Towler playing left back, he tried but you could tell he was playing out of position and was alowing all sorts of space down our left and their right, as a CB he is used to playing central so his natural instincts is to be playing centrally and that at full back is obvioulsy a dangerous game, it was him allowing too much space which led to the cross for their first goal but he can not be solely blamed as questiosn must be asked of the defending in the box as it was yet another free header which we are seeing too many times this season. before that we were managaing to have a few decent moments withiut really creating anything but that goal visibly kncoked the stuffing out of us.

as the first half was drawing to a close Efete linked up with largely anonymous JMD for the first time who in turn cut a ball back for Mcatee is knock it in from close range to send us in at the break level, talking to other fans at half time it was clear however that an improvement was needed in the 2nd half, sadly not much improvement come.

2nd half I felt was much like the first half and again we did not really do much but I do feel we started looking after and keeping the ball at times better than we did in the first half, again whilst not really creating much and sadly more poor defending was to follow and we conceded 2 quick goals and found oursolves 3-1 down and a mountain to climb within 10 mins of the 2nd half starting. offside for the 3rd goal or not we still need to defend better...

Mcatee cut a frustrated figure all game as he often has done this season at times and it is that frustation which boiled over and led to his dismissal, he tries those sort of challenges most games but today he got this wrong, totally wrong, we were the other side of the pitch and the reaction from the dagenham players was telling but I don't know if the dagenham players overreacted?

That never helped matters much and Bell was sent on almost immediately for JMD and he made an almost instant impact with a fine strike when the ball was running loose, I do wish other players would have the confidence to shoot from range if and when the oppurtunity comes up. Bell also showed a willingness to get stuck in and he seemed to add some energy i felt but unfortunately this was not reciprocated by the other players.

Longe King looked very shakey, but then he is not match fit as he has barely played this season as yet, Efete had a poor game and did not get forward as much as he has done in the past, Waterfall was the pick of the defenders whilst our struggles continued in midfield with all of them off it today and Taylor was isloated and John Lewis coming on for him was a baffling sub as it never attempted to address the problem which was Taylor being isolated, John Lewis also successfully mamnaged to trip over the ball somehow, if he is the answer then I dread to think what the question is.

players who were playing free flowing stuff, on top of their game and looking super confident are now all playing with the shackles on it seems, we look fragile mentally and you can see a difference in the players now compared to before and none of them are at the top of their game currently.

the slump has turned from puzzling to concerning, it is actually quite alarming at how backwards we have gone in just over a month, did the great start flatter us? maybe we are not as good as we all thought?

Big january transfer window coming up and I feel we need another 4 or 5 players still.

if we don't arrest the decline soon we will find ourselves mid table, which is where we could be if we lose the next 2 games, which look very tough.

I am not Hurst out yet but I feel he has a hell of a lot of work to do to try and halt the slump and get us back up the table, the great start does mean he has some credit in the bank but that credit will not last forever and already yesterday as others has mentioned, there was a small chant of "Hurst out", only sang by a handful of course but if we keep losing then that "handful" will start to swell in numbers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
Vance Warner
December 5, 2021, 11:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

My 82 year old neighbour who played semi professional in his day thinks hurst is excrement he’s just had his knees done and I’ve never seen him in stone island but to be fair he does have a berghaus jacket though

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but does he offer fans out, start chants of Hurst is a male masturbator and hang banners calling for the manager's head the week before promotion? If so then he’s sprightly for 82!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
dapperz fun pub
December 5, 2021, 12:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Vance Warner

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but does he offer fans out, start chants of Hurst is a male masturbator and hang banners calling for the manager's head the week before promotion? If so then he’s sprightly for 82!

I don’t think he’s offered anyone out to my knowledge ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.