Private Message
BenBB
August 31, 2021, 9:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Where can I get your teleporter device from?  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 38
chaos33
August 31, 2021, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Clean sheet, controlled the second half, proper 100% commitment performance against promotion favourites. All credit to them. Great point. On we go with a big chance for 3 points on Saturday., Like the sound of the spirit and commitment. Can’t ask for much more than that. UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Poojah
August 31, 2021, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Can't really argue with that, particularly when you consider we couldn't even train this time last week. We appear to be everything you'd expect from a Hurst side, organised, defensively robust and hard working.

I still feel we're lacking a focal point up front who can really make life difficult for the opposition and get in behind - for all our hard work second half we had no shots on target all game. Hopefully options will open up once the window closes and EFL clubs have completed all of their business.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
Mikey_345
August 31, 2021, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from OneLove
good result solid second half UTFM

Where you live, the ticket office at Edgeley Park?

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Mikey_345
August 31, 2021, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Cracking point that in my opinion, discussing pre match and said I’d snap your hand off for a 0-0.

Sounded very much like PH set up to get to 60 mins keeping it tight and go from there as Stockport have finished games poorly so far. Ended the game probably the most likely to nick it.

Work rate and defensive solidity is what I see with this group from our early games and that is a great starting place.

Won’t be many leaving Edgeley Park with a point this season.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
psgmariner
August 31, 2021, 10:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
They’ve only won 1 in their last 7 home league games to be fair.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
FrazerGTFC
August 31, 2021, 10:14pm

Grimsby fan
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -221
Gold Stars: 1
When we sign a number 9 we will be winning these games keep the faith playoffs can happen

Never be positive about town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
HertsGTFC
August 31, 2021, 10:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
Chrisblor
August 31, 2021, 10:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
The disallowed goal was absolute balderdash. Just urine weak defending from their player, fairly muscled out by McAtee and the referee just couldn't wait to blow up for a foul. Back to inept officiating every single game unfortunately, the officials just aren't up to it at this level (don't even get me started on tonight's linesman nearest the town end ffs).

Anyway nice to see that for all the money Stockport have been throwing at it they're nothing special at all.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
Stockport Mariner
August 31, 2021, 10:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Solid defensively - as you would expect with the formation, and the midfield was combative but not creative. I don’t think we had a shot on target in the whole match (though to be fair neither did they). I was disappointed with the wing backs, who both had fairly poor games offensively and neither look as if it’s a role they are comfortable with.

We will definitely struggle for goals with the present squad, but will be well organised and hard to beat. There also looks to be a good spirit in the squad. We looked better with LJL on and Taylor didn’t really offer much. McAtee looks our best attacking player by far and tries to make things happen, it will be interesting to see what Joel Grant has to offer.

All in all a hard fought draw after a game where both teams mainly passed the ball to each other. Stockport will definitely have to up their game if they want to remain favourites for the league, as we dealt with them comfortably.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
buckstown
August 31, 2021, 10:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Stockport fans very unhappy with their team. They also commented that we weren't anywhere near as good as Dagenham or we would have beaten them.
Didn't catch any of the game but just reading forums
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
immariner
August 31, 2021, 11:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Won't win any awards for the quality of our football tonight by the sounds of it but if you'd said we would get two clean sheets, considering the preparation we've had, I'd have said ooooh go on then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
pontoonlew
August 31, 2021, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
First half was very poor indeed, Stockport should’ve gone 2-0 up but we rode our luck.

Second half was much better and was pretty entertaining on the whole. The disallowed goal was a joke and had it been Madden scoring at the home end, the ref gives it all day long. Hunt had a good game, as did Coke but the real standouts were McAtee (again) and the much criticised Luke Waterfall who fair play to him, was dominant.

Extremely disappointed in the full-backs, neither look comfortable and Revan, who came in with such good words, doesn’t look ready for men’s football yet, however I guess that’s what he’s here for, but we need more in that position if we’re going to play this formation IMO.

We need a striker urgently, there’s some real good signs in this squad and we need to capitalise on it.

A damn good away point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Stockport Mariner
August 31, 2021, 11:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew
Hunt had a good game, as did Coke but the real standouts were McAtee (again) and the much criticised Luke Waterfall who fair play to him, was dominant

Agree Lew, he had a very solid game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Thought I'd wait till I was at home and on my computer before posting again after attempting it at half time on my phone without my glasses. got away with it a bit first half and created nothing. Much better 2nd half, controlled the game and created a couple of chances. Thought both Fox and LJL made a difference when they came on and it was looking more and more like we might nick a 1-0. Hard earned point well done Town. Thought Mcatee was v good again. Stockport fans we shared a train for a couple of stops with thought Efete and Hunt looked really good players and are wondering why they spent a ton of notes on Madden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
ska face
August 31, 2021, 11:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Can’t believe how much money Stockport have spent to put that squad together, they’re absolute fcuking junk. Good point, Hunt and Revan need to get on the weights, McAtee is class, I like Efete but he needs to be more confident going forward - he looked better driving on than trying to work out 1-2s on the byline. I don’t like McKeown. utm.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
excrement first half, negative, boring, clueless, pointless hoof balls to no one. Lucky not go in 2 nil down.

Great 2nd half aggressive, attacking football pinned stockport back prettty much for 45 minutes. Unlucky not to score 1 or 2.

All three subs really made a difference. Shop is twice the player of Taylor at the minute.

Ref was poor, but know to expect that at this point we spent enough time down here last time for us to forget.

Can't decide between Hunt (especially 2nd half when he played a more attacking role) and Efete for my MoM.

We play mnore games like we did in the first half I still can't see us getting into the playoffs. We play like we did against Weymouth andhow we did in the 2nd half we've got a good chance of making them.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Croxton
August 31, 2021, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Very happy with a point after a poor first half. Hurst said he didn't like the lack of drive and the back passing but it was the lack of movement which put players under pressure. We could have been bolder and attacked their full backs more, Efete was too often receiving a ball when tightly marked which exposes his poor touch and lack of a left peg. Both him and the team were bolder second half and Lennie's introduction changed things too.
We haven't worked out how to play off Taylor yet. The changes in selection and formation make it feel like it's still preseason but the one constant is the emergence of McAtee as our most valuable player. Once again, he gave everything and scored a goal harshly disallowed. We simply have to look after him better. Don't understand why Crookes got criticised, he's a very reliable defender.

The Police operation at the end was stupid. If there is a plan to direct away fans in one direction only then warn them before they park in the 'wrong ' area of Edgeley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Theimperialcoroner
September 1, 2021, 12:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Waterfall excellent. Really…
The ‘goal’ was an utter joke. There’s simply no foul.
Another joke was the food kiosk. Not allowed to wear in the stand…. Told the steward not to be so bloody stupid and walked right past him. He wailed at his supervisor “he ignored me…”

A proper Paul Hurst performance tonight against a much stronger team than Weymouth.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
AndyGTFC
September 1, 2021, 12:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Good point, definitely nothing to fear from them and I don't think either side had a shot on target in a pretty poor game. Still question where the goals are coming from but we should be well organised defensively for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 12:43am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
But we did have a shot on target. And scored, but it was as disallowed.

I’d have taken 0:0 before kick off. Sounded a solid performance.  Same points as them. Game in hand. Much less cost.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Limerick Mariner
September 1, 2021, 1:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from pontoonlew
First half was very poor indeed, Stockport should’ve gone 2-0 up but we rode our luck.

Second half was much better and was pretty entertaining on the whole. The disallowed goal was a joke and had it been Madden scoring at the home end, the ref gives it all day long. Hunt had a good game, as did Coke but the real standouts were McAtee (again) and the much criticised Luke Waterfall who fair play to him, was dominant.

Extremely disappointed in the full-backs, neither look comfortable and Revan, who came in with such good words, doesn’t look ready for men’s football yet, however I guess that’s what he’s here for, but we need more in that position if we’re going to play this formation IMO.

We need a striker urgently, there’s some real good signs in this squad and we need to capitalise on it.

A damn good away point.

Revan created those two chances for them - he was better in the second half. I also thought Hunt looked like a little boy lost in the first half but improved in second and finished the game well.

McAtee - well, am I seeing a Poutonesque feistiness there? Looks to be a cracking player. Seem to threaten a bit more off Lenny than Taylor. Would be great behind a front two that included a poacher that could feed off scraps in the box.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
arryarryarry
September 1, 2021, 1:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from buckstown
Stockport fans very unhappy with their team. They also commented that we weren't anywhere near as good as Dagenham or we would have beaten them.
Didn't catch any of the game but just reading forums

First half I didn't think either side looked special, last 10 minutes Stockport could have sneeked a couple.

Second half we were much better and maybe should have scored  but saying that so could they. However apart from our disallowed goal, I'm not sure if either side had a shot on target.

For me, both sides will have to be better if either are looking at top spot.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
arryarryarry
September 1, 2021, 1:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Well the majority of their fans thought both teams were crap and slagging off, players, formations and the manager and there was me thinking it's only Town fans.

https://theyellowboard.boards.net/thread/5333/grimsby-match-thread?page=13

Just one of the many disparaging comments about Town.

Grimsby were utter shite just a team of cloggers who didnt have to work hard to gain their point it was oh so easy for them as we just don't stretch teams or move the ball around well enough or with any intensity

Seems the majority don't think either side will be troubling a promotion/play-off spot.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Hagrid
September 1, 2021, 2:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
dont care what they think arry. We’ve got 4 from 6 not conceeded and that’ll do for me

Sidenote, for a man who had no pre season, LJL has had a huge impact on both games so far
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
arryarryarry
September 1, 2021, 2:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
But we did have a shot on target. And scored, but it was as disallowed.

I’d have taken 0:0 before kick off. Sounded a solid performance.  Same points as them. Game in hand. Much less cost.

I think the ref blew straight away before the ball even entered the net, if so technically the ball wasn't in play.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
jonnyboy82
September 1, 2021, 3:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
If we were a "shite bunch of cloggers" as they want to put it how shite must they be for not being able to beat us?

All i will say if ever there was a paul Hurst performance from his first spell here then that was it, and btw that isn't a dig I'm sure people on here understand what i mean.  

We were Away and proved Hard to beat without looking like we will win the match without nicking a goal from a set piece or something.

Like I said not a negative from me apart from the first half wasn't what will be needed to get out of this league but I thought we battled well second half and dug in well. Good point away at a shite bunch of cloggers  

On to Saturday now..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
arryarryarry
September 1, 2021, 3:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
If we were a "shite bunch of cloggers" as they want to put it how shite must they be for not being able to beat us?

All i will say if ever there was a paul Hurst performance from his first spell here then that was it, and btw that isn't a dig I'm sure people on here understand what i mean.  

We were Away and proved Hard to beat without looking like we will win the match without nicking a goal from a set piece or something.

Like I said not a negative from me apart from the first half wasn't what will be needed to get out of this league but I thought we battled well second half and dug in well. Good point away at a shite bunch of cloggers  

On to Saturday now..

Plenty on their site are saying they were shite and weren't as good as last season.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
aldi_01
September 1, 2021, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Cloggers? Interesting the cause they looked nothing more than that too.

Town worked hard and in truth neither side probably did enough to win the match but from the perspective of who a point was better for you’d say us. Another clean sheet too.

A goal disallowed is annoying but what a finish. I think we’ve a player in Mcatee, Revan got better although first half he was almost a liability. Defensively we looked solid again and it was a pleasure to see players get in the way of the ball after the first half of last season…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
GtfcGarner
September 1, 2021, 7:04am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Like said before.. a new team put together, had to isolate for 10 days and we've managed 2 clean sheets from 2 games. I'm usually quite pessimistic but not a bad start whatsoever. Wouldn't mind winning 40 games 1-0 rather than the odd goalfest every now and then. One or two more in and I reckon we will be there or there abouts. Good away point for the boys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
ex-merseymariner
September 1, 2021, 7:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9

Radio Humberside had Gary Henshaw as co-commentator alongside JT,  and he made insightful observations. He was critical of Revan early on for his positioning, and commented on it being a big physical challenge for Hunt but these are 2 young players in one of their biggest games so far.

From the commentary Clifton seemed to be everywhere.  
Both commentators were frustrated by the full backs first half and also too many long straight passes out for goal kicks, which was something that apparently Pearson stopped when he came on with some cleverer passing.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 1, 2021, 9:19am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Pearson, waterfall played really well, was a lot more composed at the back when he came on too.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Les Brechin
September 1, 2021, 10:49am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ska face
Can’t believe how much money Stockport have spent to put that squad together, they’re absolute fcuking junk. Good point, Hunt and Revan need to get on the weights, McAtee is class, I like Efete but he needs to be more confident going forward - he looked better driving on than trying to work out 1-2s on the byline. I don’t like McKeown. utm.

Not sure what that says about us then, if we couldn't beat them!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
headingly_mariner
September 1, 2021, 11:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Radio Humberside had Gary Henshaw as co-commentator alongside JT,  and he made insightful observations. He was critical of Revan early on for his positioning, and commented on it being a big physical challenge for Hunt but these are 2 young players in one of their biggest games so far.

From the commentary Clifton seemed to be everywhere.  
Both commentators were frustrated by the full backs first half and also too many long straight passes out for goal kicks, which was something that apparently Pearson stopped when he came on with some cleverer passing.

Yeah I think both could be really good players and just lack a little of the physicality needed, I think both will really come on over the coming games. Hunt looks a really talented footballer.

Clifton was my star man, outrageous engine on him and he was constantly making key interceptions all over the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 1, 2021, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
A highlight from the radio commentary:

As Town prepared to take a free kick on the edge of Stockport's penalty box.... "the ref's already decided this is going to be a Stockport free kick when the ball's played in".

Mr G Henshaw, former Grimsby player. Wonderfully biased  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
Davec
September 1, 2021, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
First half we did struggle to get a foothold in the game and Stockport was dominating the midfield I felt as we wasn't getting anywhere near them and wasn't picking up the first balls let alone the 2nd balls, Taylor does bring the ball down well but I don't think the rest of the squad quite know how to play off him effectively yet, hopefully that will come.

2nd half was certainly an improvement from the first half with us looking more threatening and Hunt was more effective also, John Lewis did well when he came on, won headers and was generally a nuisance which is what you expect from him, Central midfield regained some control when Fox come on, although I would say Stockport had the better chances, neither team really created a glut of chances and I would have taken a point before the game.

We really do need a number 9, somebody to get into those positions where he only needs a chance and somebody to make those runs and that will allow Mcatee to do what he does best which is play just off the front 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Posh Harry
September 1, 2021, 1:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
There were one or two of the usuals slagging off hurst in the first half on here saying ‘same old negative hurst’, but in his post match interview he admitted he wasn’t happy in the first half, that the full backs were not pushing on enough, that we were passing back to much and then playing long aimless balls. He then managed to change that at half time which resulted in a much better second half. He was trying to as the first half went on but it’s not always easy to get the message across.

Some doom merchants just need to keep their mouths shut for a while and let a game of football pan out over 90 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
Grantham_Mariner
September 1, 2021, 4:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Enjoyed the game last night, a point well deserved, the only depressing thing was the programe cover!

[img]https://www.stockportcounty.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/03-Grimsby-Town-1-494x700.jpg[/img]

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.