4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
August 31, 2021, 10:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Solid defensively - as you would expect with the formation, and the midfield was combative but not creative. I don’t think we had a shot on target in the whole match (though to be fair neither did they). I was disappointed with the wing backs, who both had fairly poor games offensively and neither look as if it’s a role they are comfortable with.

We will definitely struggle for goals with the present squad, but will be well organised and hard to beat. There also looks to be a good spirit in the squad. We looked better with LJL on and Taylor didn’t really offer much. McAtee looks our best attacking player by far and tries to make things happen, it will be interesting to see what Joel Grant has to offer.

All in all a hard fought draw after a game where both teams mainly passed the ball to each other. Stockport will definitely have to up their game if they want to remain favourites for the league, as we dealt with them comfortably.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
buckstown
August 31, 2021, 10:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Stockport fans very unhappy with their team. They also commented that we weren't anywhere near as good as Dagenham or we would have beaten them.
Didn't catch any of the game but just reading forums
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
immariner
August 31, 2021, 11:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Won't win any awards for the quality of our football tonight by the sounds of it but if you'd said we would get two clean sheets, considering the preparation we've had, I'd have said ooooh go on then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
pontoonlew
August 31, 2021, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
First half was very poor indeed, Stockport should’ve gone 2-0 up but we rode our luck.

Second half was much better and was pretty entertaining on the whole. The disallowed goal was a joke and had it been Madden scoring at the home end, the ref gives it all day long. Hunt had a good game, as did Coke but the real standouts were McAtee (again) and the much criticised Luke Waterfall who fair play to him, was dominant.

Extremely disappointed in the full-backs, neither look comfortable and Revan, who came in with such good words, doesn’t look ready for men’s football yet, however I guess that’s what he’s here for, but we need more in that position if we’re going to play this formation IMO.

We need a striker urgently, there’s some real good signs in this squad and we need to capitalise on it.

A damn good away point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Stockport Mariner
August 31, 2021, 11:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew
Hunt had a good game, as did Coke but the real standouts were McAtee (again) and the much criticised Luke Waterfall who fair play to him, was dominant

Agree Lew, he had a very solid game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Thought I'd wait till I was at home and on my computer before posting again after attempting it at half time on my phone without my glasses. got away with it a bit first half and created nothing. Much better 2nd half, controlled the game and created a couple of chances. Thought both Fox and LJL made a difference when they came on and it was looking more and more like we might nick a 1-0. Hard earned point well done Town. Thought Mcatee was v good again. Stockport fans we shared a train for a couple of stops with thought Efete and Hunt looked really good players and are wondering why they spent a ton of notes on Madden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
ska face
August 31, 2021, 11:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Can’t believe how much money Stockport have spent to put that squad together, they’re absolute fcuking junk. Good point, Hunt and Revan need to get on the weights, McAtee is class, I like Efete but he needs to be more confident going forward - he looked better driving on than trying to work out 1-2s on the byline. I don’t like McKeown. utm.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
excrement first half, negative, boring, clueless, pointless hoof balls to no one. Lucky not go in 2 nil down.

Great 2nd half aggressive, attacking football pinned stockport back prettty much for 45 minutes. Unlucky not to score 1 or 2.

All three subs really made a difference. Shop is twice the player of Taylor at the minute.

Ref was poor, but know to expect that at this point we spent enough time down here last time for us to forget.

Can't decide between Hunt (especially 2nd half when he played a more attacking role) and Efete for my MoM.

We play mnore games like we did in the first half I still can't see us getting into the playoffs. We play like we did against Weymouth andhow we did in the 2nd half we've got a good chance of making them.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Croxton
August 31, 2021, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Very happy with a point after a poor first half. Hurst said he didn't like the lack of drive and the back passing but it was the lack of movement which put players under pressure. We could have been bolder and attacked their full backs more, Efete was too often receiving a ball when tightly marked which exposes his poor touch and lack of a left peg. Both him and the team were bolder second half and Lennie's introduction changed things too.
We haven't worked out how to play off Taylor yet. The changes in selection and formation make it feel like it's still preseason but the one constant is the emergence of McAtee as our most valuable player. Once again, he gave everything and scored a goal harshly disallowed. We simply have to look after him better. Don't understand why Crookes got criticised, he's a very reliable defender.

The Police operation at the end was stupid. If there is a plan to direct away fans in one direction only then warn them before they park in the 'wrong ' area of Edgeley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Theimperialcoroner
September 1, 2021, 12:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Waterfall excellent. Really…
The ‘goal’ was an utter joke. There’s simply no foul.
Another joke was the food kiosk. Not allowed to wear in the stand…. Told the steward not to be so bloody stupid and walked right past him. He wailed at his supervisor “he ignored me…”

A proper Paul Hurst performance tonight against a much stronger team than Weymouth.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.