Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again…..!!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 265 Guests

Wrexham spending again…..!!

This thread currently has 10,832 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
August 27, 2021, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,519
Gold Stars: 544
male masturbators. i also Like wrexham, but the spending is going to make them extremely disliked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
DB
August 27, 2021, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
The old sayings of a Deck of Cards and House Built on Sand come to mind. I'm not envious or jealous and hope it works out for them, especially the fans.

All I can see is 2 very wealthy owners, with no football knowledge, having an open cheque book. Americans have a reputation for moving on if something doesn't work for them (Afghanistan at the moment comes to mind). So all I can ultimately see are the cards falling down and the sand washed away.

As for the fans, they'll be left with the mess of bad owners to sort out, and we all know that experience. I hope for the sake of the fans I am wrong.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
Maringer
August 27, 2021, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Thing is that Reynolds is wealthy enough that he can afford to lose several million quid without blinking an eye, so I tend to doubt he'll be trying to screw the club over or leave them in the lurch if they don't win promotion immediately. Having a Sugar Daddy owner isn't an ideal way of doing things, but it does work if they are wealthy enough and persistent enough to keep on chucking money away if things don't work out well at the start. See FGR and various others for examples.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
Les Brechin
August 27, 2021, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
They have sold over 5000 season tickets though don't forget so a good chunk of the money they are spending could well be coming from that.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Marinerdan
August 27, 2021, 1:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Paying 200k for a 31 year old centre back is crackers. As is committing  to a 3 year deal on league 1 money.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
GtfcGarner
August 27, 2021, 1:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
I think the financial backing from sponsors (TikTok). Season ticket sales and the documentary have helped them in alot of regards to getting these players. However the best team on paper doesn't guarantee success, I don't really rate Parkinson as a manager either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2021, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
For the sort of squad you need to win this league you have to look down A46 - they've won it twice (Only team to win it twice?). Be the fittest, play pressure cooker football, wind up the opposition, play the ref well and feed off mistakes, which are inevitable at this level. Getting a par in the head to heads against the other top teams can be good enough if you get the best points return against the bottom-half teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
ska face
August 27, 2021, 2:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from Les Brechin
They have sold over 5000 season tickets though don't forget so a good chunk of the money they are spending could well be coming from that.

5000 at say £300 ave is £1.5m.

Mullin alone on 9k a week, so that’s nearly £470k just on his wages.

The league’s absolutely copulated this year. Was reading how Chesterfield are financing their spending yesterday, apparently they’ve an insurance policy which covers them for any loss of income because of Covid, and they won a high court battle forcing them to pay out.

So basically their insurance covers all their lost attendances last year, lost sponsorship and commercial revenue, then they furloughed their squad on top of that.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
Son of Cod
August 27, 2021, 2:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

5000 at say £300 ave is £1.5m.

Mullin alone on 9k a week, so that’s nearly £470k just on his wages.

The league’s absolutely copulated this year. Was reading how Chesterfield are financing their spending yesterday, apparently they’ve an insurance policy which covers them for any loss of income because of Covid, and they won a high court battle forcing them to pay out.

So basically their insurance covers all their lost attendances last year, lost sponsorship and commercial revenue, then they furloughed their squad on top of that.

Was that the article on the Derbyshre Times website? Read that too. It's absolutely crackers. Chesterfield are the ones I think are in the most trouble if they don't achieve promotion. Stockport's and Notts' spending appears to be accounted for (not sustainable, don't get me wrong) in some way, as does Wrexham's in an entirely less conventional way. Get the feeling that Chesterfield are looking at a 2 year shit or bust strategy though.

Was also interesting that Hurst alluded to smaller clubs in the division operating on bigger budgets than you'd imagine. Couple of clubs like Barnet, Alty and Dagneham seem to have made some decent signings that surprised me.

We're obviously gonna be operating on a loss this season, but it won't be anywhere near what some teams will be. I think we're playing it right, bide our time with a competitive yet not ludicrous budget and see which of these big spenders tank because I'd bet good money on one of them flopping. Non-league players on stupid money will look like an incredibly poor gamble once you lose 1-0 at home to Maidenhead in a one legged playoff match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
LondonMariner43
August 27, 2021, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Who knows how Wrexham will get on this season but taking players down a couple of leagues but still paying them a good wage is risky.  If you've been used to playing in league 1 and could still play at that level and someone offers you more money to go down a couple of leagues, what's your motivation particularly if you are already in your 30s and sign a 2-3 year contract.  You go from playing the likes of Sheff Weds, Pompey etc to away days at Weymouth and Dover, getting kicked around on crappy pitches and getting changed in crappy facilities etc.  If everything goes great, the momentum will be great but if results go the wrong way, are these players really going to bust a gut to fight for Wrexham, or just happy to take their six figure salaries and go through the motions?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again…..!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.