7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
July 15, 2021, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,810
Gold Stars: 852
It’s not necessarily Stockport or BT Sport who are the problem here. Someone at GTFC had agreed this and they either don’t know or don’t care about the impact on away fans. Anyway, I’ll leave it now in the interests of supporting the new board, positivity and all that. Just hope it’s the last one of these decisions we see.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2021, 6:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
It’s not necessarily Stockport or BT Sport who are the problem here. Someone at GTFC had agreed this and they either don’t know or don’t care about the impact on away fans. Anyway, I’ll leave it now in the interests of supporting the new board, positivity and all that. Just hope it’s the last one of these decisions we see.

If it’s a decision GTFC had a hand in they shouldn’t be given a free ride any more than the old regime.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
Southwark Mariner
July 15, 2021, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Jason Stockwood in his recent fans' Q and A said he was really looking forward to the Stockport fixture. One reason was he's good friends with their owner (I think that's what he said, the audio on the video was a bit rubbish)....but the main reason was his wife was from Stockport and so had about 500 family members queuing up to attend!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
DB
July 15, 2021, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Perhaps a statement from the club would clarify the matter.

Just saying.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
MarinerWY
July 15, 2021, 7:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
No way I can get to this game on a Tuesday. My brother lives in Stockport so a fair few of the family were planning to go and and make a weekend of it. Will still do that but obvs have to be back for work Tuesday.

Ridiculous decision. Would be reassured to hear we didn't agree to it. I'm assuming we had no choice in the matter
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2021, 9:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Gold Stars: 190
By all accounts the club weren't the most liked out there under the old regime and you never know when you might need a favour so we are probably working on being a bit more accomodating whilst 1878 are unknowns in the football world.

Hurst is usually fairly balanced so I wonder what his thoughts are on the change of date. Assuming Stockport are coming straight back from Southend then it's at least a 5 hour journey on a coach.

If it was a 3pm kick off they wouldn't be home until at least 11pm which makes it a long old day anyway so the change in time means players won't be getting home until at least 1am. I know that if I go to bed at 1am I feel it the next day!

Yes I think they should just deal with it because fans do actually matter but the reasoning does make a little bit of sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
FishOutOfWater
July 16, 2021, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jamesgtfc
By all accounts the club weren't the most liked out there under the old regime and you never know when you might need a favour so we are probably working on being a bit more accomodating whilst 1878 are unknowns in the football world.

Hurst is usually fairly balanced so I wonder what his thoughts are on the change of date. Assuming Stockport are coming straight back from Southend then it's at least a 5 hour journey on a coach.

If it was a 3pm kick off they wouldn't be home until at least 11pm which makes it a long old day anyway so the change in time means players won't be getting home until at least 1am. I know that if I go to bed at 1am I feel it the next day!

Yes I think they should just deal with it because fans do actually matter but the reasoning does make a little bit of sense.

It's only 200 miles or so..... on a Saturday night even allowing for a pit stop it won't be any more than 5 hours

So if they get away from Southend by say 8-30 ish ( an hour after full time ) they'll be back as you say about 1-00 AM on the Sunday

Straight to bed with a bit of a lie in and then it won't be too much different to what would have happened with the initial 3-00PM kick off

I know it is what it is and we're all speculating but for the sake of a couple of hours to accommodate the TV cameras, now we will all have to take at least a half day holiday to get to Stockport and won't get back until the early hours of Tuesday morning ourselves

In my opinion it's been poorly thought out but then again we all knew from our past experience at this level it was never going to be straightforward
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 61
KingstonMariner
July 16, 2021, 12:25am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The root cause is the TV deal. If the original game wasn’t moved there’d be no problem. Or better planning - move the televised game to a midweek. At least people who can’t get to the game have a chance of seeing it on telly. Our game gets shifted, fewer people all round get to go and there’s not even the mitigation of it being on the box.

There is NO consideration of the impact on fans on the televisation of games. The vast majority of revenue at this level comes from fans. The TV money is feck all. What other business would treat its most important customer like this, just to gain a few extra per cent from someone who demands you male private around with your main product?  

It’s basically shît. And we shouldn’t try to be accommodating. I get the point about 1878 trying to create a good impression. The problem wouldn’t be with us being awkward but with the lack of consideration in the first place by BT Sport and the NL. Stick your heels in and make them think harder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
Croxton
July 16, 2021, 9:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
This in spades.

The only under two hour journey Away 3.00pm kick off on either a Saturday or Bank Holiday before January now, is Halifax on Boxing Day. Even then, we are driving home in the dark. The impact on family groups and disabled supporters of yet another Tuesday fixture has been ignored. We have been played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
Limerick Mariner
July 16, 2021, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,751
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The root cause is the TV deal. If the original game wasn’t moved there’d be no problem. Or better planning - move the televised game to a midweek. At least people who can’t get to the game have a chance of seeing it on telly. Our game gets shifted, fewer people all round get to go and there’s not even the mitigation of it being on the box.

There is NO consideration of the impact on fans on the televisation of games. The vast majority of revenue at this level comes from fans. The TV money is feck all. What other business would treat its most important customer like this, just to gain a few extra per cent from someone who demands you male private around with your main product?  

It’s basically shît. And we shouldn’t try to be accommodating. I get the point about 1878 trying to create a good impression. The problem wouldn’t be with us being awkward but with the lack of consideration in the first place by BT Sport and the NL. Stick your heels in and make them think harder.

I agree with this, but a two hour delay compared to the original KO time is a bullshit reason for shifting our fixture by a day and a half. If we were at Weymouth on the Saturday with a 3 pm KO we'd be back later than Stockport will be from Southend. If we had a Monday BH home game could we just move it to Tuesday night because we want the players to be more rested? Yes we have certainly been played...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockport Away Moved

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.