ginnywings
June 29, 2021, 11:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

That is not correct Ginny.

Most lists I have seen of the most deprived areas of the country, Grimsby doesn't even make the list.

I am looking now at a list compiled by the Guardian, and the list of most deprived wards are as follows:-

Liverpool, Manchester,Middlesborough,Knowsley,Hull, Hackney,Tower Hamlets, Birmingham,Blackpool,Hartlepool,Blackburn with Darwin, Burnley, Salford, Newsham, Stoke on Trent, Bradford, Sandwell, Pendle, Harringay, Hastings.

According to the Guardian most deprived areas are in cities. (95%)

In their full list, NE Lincs is rated 85th most deprived area.

I stand by my comment that there are a lot worse places to live than Grimsby.

Really?

And there is even your friendly local Tory, a certain Mr Jackson telling us we all have it wrong and it's not as bad as made out. We are only the 5th worse, but we are "punching above our weight".

Sound familiar?

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/20.....among-most-deprived/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
KingstonMariner
June 30, 2021, 12:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The article does focus on the positives! It bigs up some of the relatively small things happening. Personally I thought it painted a rosy picture, relatively speaking.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
pen penfras
June 30, 2021, 10:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The fact that there are so many locations that are deprived is illustrative of some of the stuff Jason references in his piece.

I’ve recently been working in Hackney, Harringhay, Dalston and Bethel Green all of which are equally as challenged if not more, depending how you measure things.

In my Region I also covered the City, Zone 1 and the West End. The socioeconomic gulf is quite disturbing, what has happened to Grimsby in the last 30/40 years is a UK wide problem that in my view started at the end of the 70s when “you know who” got her claws into the Country.

I wasn't born in the 70's and too young when she was in power to remember anything, but look at the scenes before that, and it was a hell of a lot worse before. The country was in a much bigger mess as a result of labour than it ever has been since.

https://www.google.com/search?.....imgrc=yT-ciY-nMObr9M
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
June 30, 2021, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Really?

And there is even your friendly local Tory, a certain Mr Jackson telling us we all have it wrong and it's not as bad as made out. We are only the 5th worse, but we are "punching above our weight".

Sound familiar?

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/20.....among-most-deprived/

Yes really.

Your assertion that NE LIncs is consistently in the top 10 most deprived areas of the country is not correct. Your assertion that there are not much worse places is also incorrect. I quoted the Guardian article hoping it would carry more weight on here, but there are countless others online.

These sorts of lists appear occasionally in the media, and of course the matrix they use can be different, but the places that are most quoted are those listed in the Guardian article.

It is similar to the yearly debate about players "won't come to Grimsby" for the usual downbeat reasons given by various posters.

Yet here we are, still in June, and funnily enough, we have signed most of the players we need, and again funnily enough from various parts of the country!  You would think on a GTFC message board there might be a bit more support for Grimsby the place.

Great Grimsby forever I say!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
KingstonMariner
June 30, 2021, 11:32am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I wasn't born in the 70's and too young when she was in power to remember anything, but look at the scenes before that, and it was a hell of a lot worse before. The country was in a much bigger mess as a result of labour than it ever has been since.

https://www.google.com/search?.....imgrc=yT-ciY-nMObr9M

So if you weren’t born then, it’s an era that you don’t know at first hand. Herts does know it first hand and do do I. Those pictures you just posted are a snapshot. It wasn’t like that throughout the 60s and 70s. There are plenty of bad things we could show you about the 80s, 90s, 2010s.

Society was much more equal then than now. Far from perfect but the gulf in wealth has got greater.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
monkeyboy
June 30, 2021, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Got to be said there are much worse places than Grimsby but you will find that those place have a very large immigrant population and its always those areas that cry social injustice.

Nothing to do with race before someone calls it out. just a very basic fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
Bristol Mariner
June 30, 2021, 12:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pen penfras

Nope, I agree with the sentiment of what he's saying, that the club should be tightly integrated with the community and I like that they aspire to have more community interaction. I don't like the article though, it reminds me of the questions podcast when he seemed to want to show how intelligent he is by talking about ideologies and that article starts off doing the same about meritocracy and then goes on to portray Grimsby as the bottom hole of the country. There's enough negative press about the place and it doesn't need adding to by a champion for the local area. N.E. Lincs has some wonderful qualities and it'd be nice to hear about those to help raise the profile of the area rather than scare people off with tales of kids being forced into drug gangs and poverty.

Are you ever happy?

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 30, 2021, 12:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So if you weren’t born then, it’s an era that you don’t know at first hand. Herts does know it first hand and do do I. Those pictures you just posted are a snapshot. It wasn’t like that throughout the 60s and 70s. There are plenty of bad things we could show you about the 80s, 90s, 2010s.

Society was much more equal then than now. Far from perfect but the gulf in wealth has got greater.

Oooo, Kingston! That’s a bold statement. The 50s and 60s were the time of Cathy Come Home, How Green Was My Wotsit,, the start of Coronation Street with the terraces of Salford and outside lavies. Alf Garnett sitting out there with the Racing Times. The squares and back alleys off Freemo stinking of dog crap.

Then you only had to walk down to Park Drive to see the fish merchant’s houses or up Grimsby Road..  I don’t think there was any less or more of a gulf in wealth. What we did have was a way out. The bulk of the pupils in Clee Grammar and Wintringham after 1944 were from less well off homes. There were a lot of homes that couldn’t afford the uniforms but an awful lot that scrimped and did and those kids formed the backbone of the management classes in the area for years as accountants and solicitors and the like.

Two other points on that. It was commonplace for graduates to come back to the area, the movement away from Grimsby is understandable but hasn’t helped. The other is that attitudes were not the same. As a child of the working class my family’s attitude was aspirational not destructive. That only changed in the 70s/80s when the first child told me he didn’t care about working hard in school for a good job because his dad said he could live well enough without the work.

Finally, the media. The Grimsby Telegraph my have made a social point but now we have non-local Reach journalists scouring the web from their tablets for anything so they can be ramming poverty down readers’ throats on a regular basis as though there is nothing else but that worthy to write about.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
RichMariner
June 30, 2021, 12:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
I read it as a positive piece.

He's basically saying that the opportunity for young people in Grimsby to thrive is hard, but the potential is there — and while we need some government assistance (and the football club can be used to galvanise, excite and inspire our younger generations) we should be listening to these young people, and building answers that fit their vision.

JS sees the potential in people, and he sees it in Grimsby. Fair enough, he highlights some of the blockers (none of which are unique to Grimsby) but he's highlighting the best way to improve lives and that is to love where we live, and be proud of it.

Obviously it makes reference to hardships, because success needs context. Didn't read this as negative at all.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
KingstonMariner
June 30, 2021, 1:19pm
Meths Drinker

Oooo, Kingston! That’s a bold statement. The 50s and 60s were the time of Cathy Come Home, How Green Was My Wotsit,, the start of Coronation Street with the terraces of Salford and outside lavies. Alf Garnett sitting out there with the Racing Times. The squares and back alleys off Freemo stinking of dog crap.

Then you only had to walk down to Park Drive to see the fish merchant’s houses or up Grimsby Road..  I don’t think there was any less or more of a gulf in wealth. What we did have was a way out. The bulk of the pupils in Clee Grammar and Wintringham after 1944 were from less well off homes. There were a lot of homes that couldn’t afford the uniforms but an awful lot that scrimped and did and those kids formed the backbone of the management classes in the area for years as accountants and solicitors and the like.

Two other points on that. It was commonplace for graduates to come back to the area, the movement away from Grimsby is understandable but hasn’t helped. The other is that attitudes were not the same. As a child of the working class my family’s attitude was aspirational not destructive. That only changed in the 70s/80s when the first child told me he didn’t care about working hard in school for a good job because his dad said he could live well enough without the work.

Finally, the media. The Grimsby Telegraph my have made a social point but now we have non-local Reach journalists scouring the web from their tablets for anything so they can be ramming poverty down readers’ throats on a regular basis as though there is nothing else but that worthy to write about.

Here you go:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplep.....nding2020provisional

Of course most people have more materially than they had then. Not saying we didn’t have ice on the inside of our bedrooms growing up. I’m talking about the national picture, not specifically GY area. And it’s about relative wealth and income. Most people were poorer in a material sense. The better off had two weeks in the Med, the poor a day trip to Skeggy. Now the better off have two weeks in the Maldives, skiing in Chamonix, a couple of city breaks to Copenhagen and Verona. The poorest go on the 3C to Meggies.

However as you said yourself, there was a way out. And if you’re right that graduates often used to come back (I’ll take that as read you’re correct, for present purposes) doesn’t that show that there were more opportunities then in GY? There certainly wasn’t when I graduated in 1984.

There’s been a flight of capital too from GY since those days. The big local employers are generally not locally owned like they used to be. Profits are repatriated to shareholders elsewhere. So to an extent you’ve lost the old local rich, which might tend to reduce inequalities within the town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jason Stockwood article in The Guardian

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.