6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
June 29, 2021, 4:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Probably the biggest impact they could have on the wider community is to fund, or find funds for a new community stadium if they can.

And let's hope they design it so we can have live music concerts there as an aside. Even better, build a theatre in it just so we can urinate on Tom Shutes' high faluting ideas for him to line his own pocket again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
DB
June 29, 2021, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Just read Jasons' article, it brought a tear to my eye. A guy from the backstreets of GY hobnobbing with the greats of New York. He now wants to put something back along with Andrew.

A brilliant story for the youth of the town, you can do it, it can be done, I am living proof that a backstreet kid with little basic education, having to 'improvise to help feed my family' when a kid can become a millionaire.

He's come back to help the club, the community, and the Town.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
pen penfras
June 29, 2021, 8:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

PP!??🤭🤭

Nope, I agree with the sentiment of what he's saying, that the club should be tightly integrated with the community and I like that they aspire to have more community interaction. I don't like the article though, it reminds me of the questions podcast when he seemed to want to show how intelligent he is by talking about ideologies and that article starts off doing the same about meritocracy and then goes on to portray Grimsby as the bottom hole of the country. There's enough negative press about the place and it doesn't need adding to by a champion for the local area. N.E. Lincs has some wonderful qualities and it'd be nice to hear about those to help raise the profile of the area rather than scare people off with tales of kids being forced into drug gangs and poverty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
HertsGTFC
June 29, 2021, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pen penfras

Nope, I agree with the sentiment of what he's saying, that the club should be tightly integrated with the community and I like that they aspire to have more community interaction. I don't like the article though, it reminds me of the questions podcast when he seemed to want to show how intelligent he is by talking about ideologies and that article starts off doing the same about meritocracy and then goes on to portray Grimsby as the bottom hole of the country. There's enough negative press about the place and it doesn't need adding to by a champion for the local area. N.E. Lincs has some wonderful qualities and it'd be nice to hear about those to help raise the profile of the area rather than scare people off with tales of kids being forced into drug gangs and poverty.

To enable change you must face into what actually needs changing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
LH
June 29, 2021, 8:22pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
We can now go live to our terrible take correspondent who is on the scene now. Lew..

I would have preferred a more positive article about Grimsby the place, and more about the proud history of GTFC.

I admire what the new owners are doing for the club, but poverty and decline are relative, and many towns and communities suffer from the ebbs and flows of economic activity, government decisions of all colours and the overreliance of the southeast on the UK economy.

Taking everything into account North East Lincolnshire is a great place to live; obviously, we would all like it even better, but we can improve everything in time but I wish National articles like this would focus more on the positive aspects, instead of going over the decline of the fishing industry again and our shortcomings which are not exclusive to Grimsby.

One man ruined GTFC, but we are seemingly in safe hands with the new owners, but personally I think they are overestimating the impact it will have on the wider community apart from the feel-good factor of having a more successful club.

Probably the biggest impact they could have on the wider community is to fund, or find funds for a new community stadium if they can.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
June 29, 2021, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from LH
We can now go live to our terrible take correspondent who is on the scene now. Lew..

Very droll.

I am not sure why it is such a shock for someone Grimsby born and bred to be proud of my home town. Perhaps born into such poverty I see things in a more rose tinted way when I look at Grimsby today and the progress it has made.

My wife comes from York, and her relatives seem to have a greater appreciation of the Grimsby area than some of our own. They are very complimentary of the area when they visit and cannot understand the negative press and recognise our heritage and all that goes with it. Admittedly I don't take them shopping down Freeman Street, or show them round the less salubrious areas, but then again they understand that every town has them.

I may be in a minority on here (not new, including my many anti-Fenty rants over the years when it wasn't fashionable) but it is great to have a view that you believe in. If you don't agree, it is no skin off my nose as they say.  
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
ginnywings
June 29, 2021, 8:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
N.E. Lincs is consistently in the top 10 most deprived areas in the entire country and the East Marsh was once in the top 3 most deprived wards, yet Lew and PP seem to think that shouldn't be mentioned and there are much worse places, when in reality, there aren't.

What's wrong you two? Not enough right wing rhetoric?

Thought it was a great article myself and flags up the inequality in modern society. Hope they can bring a bit of joy and pride back to the football club and in the community.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
June 29, 2021, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
N.E. Lincs is consistently in the top 10 most deprived areas in the entire country and the East Marsh was once in the top 3 most deprived wards, yet Lew and PP seem to think that shouldn't be mentioned and there are much worse places, when in reality, there aren't.

What's wrong you two? Not enough right wing rhetoric?

Thought it was a great article myself and flags up the inequality in modern society. Hope they can bring a bit of joy and pride back to the football club and in the community.

That is not correct Ginny.

Most lists I have seen of the most deprived areas of the country, Grimsby doesn't even make the list.

I am looking now at a list compiled by the Guardian, and the list of most deprived wards are as follows:-

Liverpool, Manchester,Middlesborough,Knowsley,Hull, Hackney,Tower Hamlets, Birmingham,Blackpool,Hartlepool,Blackburn with Darwin, Burnley, Salford, Newsham, Stoke on Trent, Bradford, Sandwell, Pendle, Harringay, Hastings.

According to the Guardian most deprived areas are in cities. (95%)

In their full list, NE Lincs is rated 85th most deprived area.

I stand by my comment that there are a lot worse places to live than Grimsby.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
HertsGTFC
June 29, 2021, 9:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228

That is not correct Ginny.

Most lists I have seen of the most deprived areas of the country, Grimsby doesn't even make the list.

I am looking now at a list compiled by the Guardian, and the list of most deprived wards are as follows:-

Liverpool, Manchester,Middlesborough,Knowsley,Hull, Hackney,Tower Hamlets, Birmingham,Blackpool,Hartlepool,Blackburn with Darwin, Burnley, Salford, Newsham, Stoke on Trent, Bradford, Sandwell, Pendle, Harringay, Hastings.

According to the Guardian most deprived areas are in cities. (95%)

In their full list, NE Lincs is rated 85th most deprived area.

I stand by my comment that there are a lot worse places to live than Grimsby.

The fact that there are so many locations that are deprived is illustrative of some of the stuff Jason references in his piece.

I’ve recently been working in Hackney, Harringhay, Dalston and Bethel Green all of which are equally as challenged if not more, depending how you measure things.

In my Region I also covered the City, Zone 1 and the West End. The socioeconomic gulf is quite disturbing, what has happened to Grimsby in the last 30/40 years is a UK wide problem that in my view started at the end of the 70s when “you know who” got her claws into the Country.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2021, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from DB
Just read Jasons' article, it brought a tear to my eye. A guy from the backstreets of GY hobnobbing with the greats of New York. He now wants to put something back along with Andrew.

A brilliant story for the youth of the town, you can do it, it can be done, I am living proof that a backstreet kid with little basic education, having to 'improvise to help feed my family' when a kid can become a millionaire.

He's come back to help the club, the community, and the Town.

He isn’t that unusual. I could name at least one other local from a similar background who has made much more money from Wall Street than Mr Stockwood in the US. It’s just that he bought a football club instead of being a Carphone bloke who sank money into local education. I admire him though for wanting the best for his hometown and we will all benefit in morale from a successful club. Declining with urban poverty, drug abuse etc. is a whole different ball game. As many towns have found you can pour money into a bottomless pit and still find drugs hurtling along the M!80 into Grimsby and people using foodbanks. But there are a lot of kids who do succeed and there would be more if we could convince them of the value of qualifications and perseverance. We forget as well that the majority of NEL is not poor, has good schools and kids getting great results.There are also new investments already underway in theory, not least by Jason’s erstwhile partner. Let’s not worry about such things, just enjoy what’s happening to the club, swing along with the transformations and give all our support to this promotion push.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jason Stockwood article in The Guardian

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.