This thread currently has 2,937 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 31, 2021, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

There's no doubt VAR has had it's problems and enemies but now it's being demanded in the game by some.

"League Two play-off final: Newport County boss Mike Flynn demands VAR"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57308982

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
supertown
May 31, 2021, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
That’s the exact reason it was brought in for, not the idiotic way they apply it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
ska face
May 31, 2021, 9:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from promotion plaice

There's no doubt VAR has had it's problems and enemies but now it's being demanded in the game by some.

"League Two play-off final: Newport County boss Mike Flynn demands VAR"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57308982

It’s been demanded by some since day dot, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Always said that it creates (amongst other things) a two-tier game where some rich teams are deemed deserving of having every decision scrutinised in microscopic detail whereas it doesn’t matter for poorer clubs.  

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
IlkleyMariner
May 31, 2021, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
It’s a brilliant piece of technology and should be developed
Unfortunately it’s used by idiots who have less understanding than even L2 referees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
promotion plaice
May 31, 2021, 9:18pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

All I can say is I watched the Morecambe v Newport game today and if VAR had been in operation Newport would have been awarded a penalty that wasn't given and the Morecambe penalty was a free kick outside the box if it was even a foul.

Would it have changed the result, who knows but if I was a Newport fan tonight I'd be fuming.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Abdul19
May 31, 2021, 9:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
VAR would've stuck away that sitter that his captain missed too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
HistonMariner
May 31, 2021, 9:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
No VAR = the debate is about 12 inches here or there.
VAR = the debate is about a minute fraction of an inch here or there.

Same debate just the dimensions that differ BUT the delays, the demise of fan spontaneity and yet another step away from a crucial element of what want from the game is a major, major concern that needs very, very careful consideration.

All a matter of opinion, but I don’t want it.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
moosey_club
May 31, 2021, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
No VAR ..Fox gets a yellow, we beat Crystal Palace, go on to win the FA Cup , Jolley stays, we get promoted, Peaks Parkway gets built and we are now in the Championship , John Fenty buys new car.

with VAR.... Fenty has gone

Anymore arguments ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
Poojah
May 31, 2021, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Abdul19
VAR would've stuck away that sitter that his captain missed too.

Don’t get me wrong, I know your post was tongue-in-cheek, and it did raise a wry smile (and a green tick). But for me poor technical application shouldn’t be used to distract from appalling refereeing decisions in the same way that poor referring decisions shouldn’t distract from appalling applications of technical skill.

It would have been helpful if Macca hadn’t thrown Gateshead’s first goal in at their place in the play-offs in 2014, and likewise if Ollie Palmer had properly cleared his lines against Bristol Rovers a year later. Regardless, Town were nevertheless subject to two completely wrong, significant refereeing decisions which may well have played a major role in the outcomes of those games.

Those decisions, much like the two that went against Newport today, were easily identifiable as wrong with no more than a single watch of a slow-motion replay (I don’t think Will Puddy’s non-sending off for Rovers even needed that). As already alluded to, if VAR is used for matters like that rather than splitting armpit hairs over offside decisions then it’s a perfectly reasonable piece of technology.

I see no reason that they couldn’t have had it at all of this year’s play-off finals given that the technology is already in place at Wembley (though it’s application really does need fixing). You’d be absolutely mortified as a Newport fan tonight, and not just because there’s a good chance you live in Newport.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
gobby
May 31, 2021, 11:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Newport and Morecambe have both got through to the League 2 playoff final without VAR, I don’t get why you should now introduce it just for the final. if through the season they had decisions given in their favour without VAR then that should be the same for the final. If VAR had been in this league maybe they would not have got through to the final. So for me Newport lost by Refereeing decisions that they have had to endure all season the same as everyone else. I also think it was a penalty for Newport and the contact for Morecambe was on the line so a penalty if the Referee deemed it a foul which he did and in this situation without VAR a penalty it was. Unlucky Newport as you’ve had the decisions of human error all season without VAR so accept human error this time around.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR...now demanded by some

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.