3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
May 21, 2021, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
I see GTFC has become a founder member of Fair game - together with a group of other clubs. The aim is to "re-boot the game."

All the buzz words are in there - transparency, openness,blah blah. I have read the article on the official website and still can't get what they are trying to change exactly.

I hope the new owners won't get sidetracked by trying to be saviours of the game; we don't need the game saving do we? The top leagues are a law unto themselves, but if we were well run, well-financed we would not have any issues with the game would we - Lincoln don't seem to be worried too much for example.

If I were them, I would try to fix all things GTFC first before being guardian angels of the game, but then I am just a miserable so and so.
Private Message
KingstonMariner
May 21, 2021, 11:57am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
You happy with the way the FA, FL and National League run the game?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
ska face
May 21, 2021, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
I see GTFC has become a founder member of Fair game - together with a group of other clubs. The aim is to "re-boot the game."

All the buzz words are in there - transparency, openness,blah blah. I have read the article on the official website and still can't get what they are trying to change exactly.

I hope the new owners won't get sidetracked by trying to be saviours of the game; we don't need the game saving do we? The top leagues are a law unto themselves, but if we were well run, well-financed we would not have any issues with the game would we - Lincoln don't seem to be worried too much for example.

If I were them, I would try to fix all things GTFC first before being guardian angels of the game, but then I am just a miserable so and so.

The whole football league is forced to dance to the tune of the PL, and the ESL would’ve reduced that further to just 5 or 6 people controlling the whole thing. The FA and Football League management/boards/structures are stuffed full of Premiership yes men (Rick Parry as EFL Chair FFS, Barwick in the NL) with filthy backgrounds and no interest in the good of their member clubs.

We will struggle to see any high quality youth players come through and make a name at BP as they’ll be poached at 15/16 and hoarded in Prem academies. B Teams are forced on us via blackmail, and parachute or solidarity payments are a noose around our neck to be tightened at the will of a small cabal of oligarchs and human rights abusers in the prem.

If we don’t fight for our own interests, who’s going to do it on our behalf? Gary Neville? Good on the new board and all other clubs supporting the venture.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
RichMariner
May 21, 2021, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
It's good news - always happy to see us form part of any initiative that looks to transform our game for the better - but like the OP says, I'm a bit unsure about what exactly they're aiming for.

Improve the game's integrity, etc - it's all been said before. Hopefully this group will be able to tell us, in time, how they expect to change the game. Early days I know, and I'm sure we'll look back and be proud of us being one of the early members to join.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
diehardmariner
May 21, 2021, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Their principles and I guess their aims are here:
[url]https://www.fairgameuk.org/principles[/url]

Difficult to argue with anything they say they want to see achieved.

Agreed, there's been a lot of talk and bluster previously but they're absolutely right in that this is the first time clubs have come together to form a united voice.  Granted, the clubs on that list are hardly likely to make an impact on their own but the quote from the AFC Wimbledon rep absolutely nails it.  "Every avalanche starts with a single snowball"
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
May 21, 2021, 3:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I was a bit confused after initially reading about this on the clubs website, but reading the principles has made it a lot clearer.

It seems to me that they want to take the power in football away from russian oligarchs, billionaire sports franchise owners, tv companies etc. and give it back to the people, give it back to the fans.

When you think about it, it's so right. Football in this country, or any other, should not be threatened or put in danger because a small number of clubs owned by people who are in it for money, decide they have a better way of making themselves richer. The governing bodies of football should not be content to bend over backwards to make things easier for the big clubs. Such as the EFL's insistence on B teams in cup competitions designed for lower league teams. Clubs should be run as part of a community, to represent where they are from and the people that made them and support them.

Give the game back to the people.

I love it, and am quite proud that GTFC are part of it from the very beginning.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
BeijingMariner
May 21, 2021, 3:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
ok, all good, but ....if we are "never forgetting that it is also a business and that a competitive element must remain." why do the four pillars not include 'competition' or 'ambition'. If we are never forgetting competition, why do we not list it as a pillar?  It looks like we forgot already
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
May 21, 2021, 3:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from BeijingMariner
ok, all good, but ....if we are "never forgetting that it is also a business and that a competitive element must remain." why do the four pillars not include 'competition' or 'ambition'. If we are never forgetting competition, why do we not list it as a pillar?  It looks like we forgot already

In the principles it does say that promotion and relegation should never be removed.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
forza ivano
May 21, 2021, 3:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266

have you read the link below?

https://www.fairgameuk.org/principles

think it's very clear as to what they'd like to achieve.
a well run, well financed club is fine and dandy ,but it's not going to stop B teams entering our League and cup competitions and it's not going to stop the daylight robbery of youngsters by Premiership clubs. If we are banded together with like minded clubs our voice becomes much stronger
That principle didn't work too badly for Trade Unions did it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
arryarryarry
May 21, 2021, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117

In the principles it does say that promotion and relegation should never be removed.

Plenty on here not supporters of that principle.😉
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fair game initiative

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.