18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
May 16, 2021, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
For me, it wasn't that we didn't deserve to go down because we did. It still is, but my issue is what are we going down to?

To me, we are going down to a league that has no integrity, no governance, and no league management. Its rules are bent and twisted and serve no purpose. There is a vote of no confidence in the board and its leader is jumping ship, like Holloway, when his pack of cards started to collapse.

The appeal like all decisions in the old regime was not based on the right reasons, but on what sounded good. Alas we are now resigned to the inept decisions of this management which have now passed, but as I have just said we should go down, but to something better than what awaits us.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 171
arryarryarry
May 16, 2021, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB
For me, it wasn't that we didn't deserve to go down because we did. It still is, but my issue is what are we going down to?

To me, we are going down to a league that has no integrity, no governance, and no league management. Its rules are bent and twisted and serve no purpose. There is a vote of no confidence in the board and its leader is jumping ship, like Holloway, when his pack of cards started to collapse.

The appeal like all decisions in the old regime was not based on the right reasons, but on what sounded good. Alas we are now resigned to the inept decisions of this management which have now passed, but as I have just said we should go down, but to something better than what awaits us.

For a League that probably has nowhere near the funding the EFL receives it is still managing to complete the season.

As for the EFL many on here moan about the way that is run especially when it came to allowing 'B' teams into the League Cup.  
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 171
RichMariner
May 16, 2021, 3:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
The NL began the season with the intention of completing it using funds they thought were grants. Turns out they were loans.

After that, they changed the rules to say there should still remain promotion but have no relegation.

The NL had set a precedence here. In theory, what was to stop the EFL doing exactly the same thing, i.e. retain promotion but have no relegation?

We finished bottom and deservedly so. No one suggested we deserved to stay up on playing merit. We questioned the governance of a league we were about to join - and if the question raised serious questions about the integrity of the competition then maybe we’d have been saved from the drop as a consequence - not because anyone thought we deserved to stay in L2.

Anyway, it’s not worth discussing now. The ‘appeal’ was a legacy thing, clearly the new owners didn’t want anything to do with it (and rightly so).

But I still think it’s right to shine a light on the governance of the NL. I’m still a bit nervous about how they’ll manage next season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 162 - 171
ska face
May 16, 2021, 4:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
I think, ultimately, it shows the old board up for what they were. A set of schemers and shysters not willing to put the time, money or effort in and hope they’d find a weasel way to get what they wanted. Shameless, and I’m glad Day has followed the clowns out the door.
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 171
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 16, 2021, 5:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
I think, ultimately, it shows the old board up for what they were. A set of schemers and shysters not willing to put the time, money or effort in and hope they’d find a weasel way to get what they wanted. Shameless, and I’m glad Day has followed the clowns out the door.

I don’t disagree, but does this apply to Southend too? Whose idea was it in the first place I wonder?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 16, 2021, 5:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Sarfend were quick to credit Town with leadership of the initiative. Maybe they were lukewarm on the idea. But are they still going through with it?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 171
Teestogreen
May 16, 2021, 8:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Good - PH knows exactly which division he is in to make the right recruitments for next season - certainty can be good.
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 171
moosey_club
May 16, 2021, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Would much rather be in League 2 than non league if at all possible, the loss of funding for one thing never mind the difficulty of getting out of that League, i certainly dont imagine us walking it and coming up as champions so at best the lottery of the play offs.....but there are 5 or 6 other clubs who will lose out this year and be stronger for it next year too so no guarantees to be there either.
I do think the as a club we should at least question the vaildity of the League we are heading to under this seasons circumstances. Under normal circumstances no arguments about going down on merit but worth appealing i thought.

Imagine if Southend continue and win an appeal and because we said we arent interested we still go down.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 171
DB
May 19, 2021, 6:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Just to remind ourselves how bad the NL is. Solihull's match with Barnet last night was postponed, they both play this Saturday and both have games the following Tuesday.

The league is supposed to finish on the 29th, meaning that they will both have to fit 4 games in within an 8 day period:-

22nd
25th
29th
plus 1

This is a league that was also classed as 'elite' some months ago. Let us not forget also that the season was also extended to accommodate the January problems. How would we feel if Solihull Moors read Grimsby Town?

We deserved on football merit to be relegated, but into a league that cannot plan the proverbial pi ss up in a brewery!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 171
Poojah
May 19, 2021, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from DB
Just to remind ourselves how bad the NL is. Solihull's match with Barnet last night was postponed, they both play this Saturday and both have games the following Tuesday.

The league is supposed to finish on the 29th, meaning that they will both have to fit 4 games in within an 8 day period:-

22nd
25th
29th
plus 1

This is a league that was also classed as 'elite' some months ago. Let us not forget also that the season was also extended to accommodate the January problems. How would we feel if Solihull Moors read Grimsby Town?

We deserved on football merit to be relegated, but into a league that cannot plan the proverbial pi ss up in a brewery!

This is nothing new. We played 4 games in 8 days in the 13/14 season (and 5 games in 11 days).

It’s time to drop this now. We all know the division’s a joke, but that’s not a new development and a fact that hasn’t stopped teams being relegated into it every year.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.