May 4, 2021, 1:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

This is an interesting point.

Years ago, when we were still non-league and Hurst was on his way to delivering promotion via the play-offs, I wrote an article about how our margins of victory were consistently better in the first half of the season compared to the second.

Just off the top of my head, using our promotion season as an example, I can remember winning 4-1 three times (Barrow, Bromley, Aldershot I think) and 4-0 at Southport, 7-0 v Halifax, and a smattering of 3-1s (Barrow again, maybe Welling too?). After Christmas we had a run of games where we won by the odd goal (Forest Green, Southport at home, Wrexham... that 4-3 win at Aldershot).

I distinctly remember it being the reason why I thought we wouldn't overturn the 1-0 lead Braintree had on us in the play-offs. Turned out I was right, but I didn't anticipate extra time

That was also the picture on his full season at Shrewsbury. Results petered off towards the end after an excellent start to the season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2021, 1:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

I fully accept that, I think Holloway was a complete knob, but according to the Board statement today Hurst was given the funds required to bring in the extra players he wanted. Trouble is he came in and just about slagged off the current squad then took too long to find his best team.

I wouldn’t place much credence on what the board say.

Scott and Hurst did the same thing when they took over, slagging off the squad they inherited. The assessment might have been correct but I think it’s classless to announce it publicly. A simple ‘we need to make some improvements to the squad if were to achieve promotion/survival’ type statement would have done.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
ontariomariner
May 4, 2021, 1:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -1
When it comes to stats I find the form table useful:- https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4

We finished the season (last 12 games) as a mid-table team i.e. we got consistently better under Hurst, under Holloway our form must have been dropping and we had a bad start under Hurst.

I tend to agree Hurst is a long term manager and at he has us on a performance improving path. It will be tough in National League but he is as well equipped as anyone to get us out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
RichMariner
May 4, 2021, 2:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
Thing is, you've got to look at it like this.

We are about to start our first season back in the National League and we're on the lookout for a new manager. Would you bring Hurst back?

You want a manager who has ideally enjoyed success at that level, maybe above. You want a manager who knows how to build a squad, because you're going to need togetherness in a hard, physical league. You want a manager who is going to get the best out of players who aren't going to be world-beaters, and someone who can spot a good player languishing in someone's reserves, or tearing it up in a league below.

There are a lot of things Hurst isn't, and he's by no means without faults. History should work in his favour here, having got us promoted from the NL, but people also remember the ear-cupping, the Parslow Point and the comment about being spoilt. Sadly, that festers away and grows over time.

The fact remains, he ticks a lot of boxes, and a lot of the qualities you need in a manager at this level. The fact that he wants to be here, despite probably thinking he could still manage in the football league, with new owners giving him greater scope to build a club rather than just a team, and I think you have to say it's hard to think of anyone better without speculating massively.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
arryarryarry
May 4, 2021, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from RichMariner
Thing is, you've got to look at it like this.

We are about to start our first season back in the National League and we're on the lookout for a new manager. Would you bring Hurst back?

You want a manager who has ideally enjoyed success at that level, maybe above. You want a manager who knows how to build a squad, because you're going to need togetherness in a hard, physical league. You want a manager who is going to get the best out of players who aren't going to be world-beaters, and someone who can spot a good player languishing in someone's reserves, or tearing it up in a league below.

There are a lot of things Hurst isn't, and he's by no means without faults. History should work in his favour here, having got us promoted from the NL, but people also remember the ear-cupping, the Parslow Point and the comment about being spoilt. Sadly, that festers away and grows over time.

The fact remains, he ticks a lot of boxes, and a lot of the qualities you need in a manager at this level. The fact that he wants to be here, despite probably thinking he could still manage in the football league, with new owners giving him greater scope to build a club rather than just a team, and I think you have to say it's hard to think of anyone better without speculating massively.

You say that but having been sacked by his last two EFL clubs, and allegedly applied for others before GTFC and not getting them may suggest he wasn't probably going to get another job soon.

Despite saving Shrewsbury he has his detractors there as well.

https://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/98817/get-hurst?page=4
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
forza ivano
May 4, 2021, 4:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

You say that but having been sacked by his last two EFL clubs, and allegedly applied for others before GTFC and not getting them may suggest he wasn't probably going to get another job soon.

every manager has their detractors - even Sir Alan! You've also ignored the whole host of salient points that Rich has made.
He is maligned, largely i think, because he is Paul Hurst .

PS just 1 other point - January was a crucial month but what didn't help was that we were playing twice a week & the weather & training facilities were awful. i bet there was very few days when Hurst and Doig could do any proper work with the squad they wanted, which was precisely when we needed them to be hands on, day in, day out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Mayaman
May 4, 2021, 4:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
It's hard to imagine Holloway gained more points than Hurst.  I know which team I'd rather watch.  Once we went 1 down under Holloway it was curtains.  The lads under Hurst at least gave us hope and showed a bit of fight. One thing that the stats can't tell us is how the 'feeling' was around the camp.  I am sure there was a lot of negativity when PH arrived and that takes a lot of time to turn around.  True other teams can bounce back after a manger leaves (Barrow for example) but that could be for a number reasons, such as a bit of luck that gains you three points or a group of players who actually wanna wear that shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
rancido
May 4, 2021, 5:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from arryarryarry

I fully accept that, I think Holloway was a complete knob, but according to the Board statement today Hurst was given the funds required to bring in the extra players he wanted. Trouble is he came in and just about slagged off the current squad then took too long to find his best team.

And of course everything in that statement was " the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". Was Hurst told "to bring in, he had to ship out"? We don't know any caveats attached to the statement " funds required to bring in the extra players he wanted".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 4, 2021, 5:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from arryarryarry

It may be unfair to Hurst to see Ipswich as a 'normal' sacking. That club looks unmanageable at the moment - you think we have high expectations, they're a club who have won in Europe and a string of decent managers have made little or no impact. When he went there I thought it might be a mistake.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
DB
May 4, 2021, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't believe it, why should we. After all, the board are now blaming Holloway, who was a fellow director but failed to sack him.

The old saying is throw enough sh!t and some will stick.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst stats

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.