3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
drbell
May 3, 2021, 12:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
I'd say that I thought Hursts reappointment was sensible rather than exciting, but I have been really impressed by what he has been able to achieve.

I've not seen anyone describe the situation as I see it, or shared many states to back things up, so I did a few mins digging to see if the stats match my feel for what happened...

I thought that our run before and during the transfer window was what might relegate us. I recall specifically thinking the Cambridge game at the start of the window mattered a lot.

Table after that game: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

Looking back, had we won it, we would have been 20th, so with 4 teams below us and prospective signings would see a concern but not be too hung up about relegation. Instead we look somewhat nailed on for relegation given points and extra games played. Come mid and late transfer window there is no way in my mind the table doesn't limit Hursts ability to sign better players in the window.

Mid: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/
End: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

I understand Hurst is the manager but it's not his players, the players we had were questionably not good enough, and as I saw someone else point out (though it's not mentioned enough) he lost 2 of the best players (in terms of creativity and changing a game) in Edwards and Windsor at start of the window so was really playing with his hands behind his back. Injuries didn't help either.

Jump forward a little and despite any impact of league position on who he could get in, our form is not relegation form. I'm allowing a month from window closed for Hurst to start getting his message across and team settled. (BTW I'm old school and am of the opinion a manager needs 1 or 2 seasons to build a team, an approach, and influence an entire club, not weeks, but that's a diff discussion). So given only a month, form from start of March to now:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

I personally think that if we played these games again a few times, on average we would get more points than we did. I felt we we could easily have added 4+ points and possibly a fair bit more. Even without that, this form over a whole season would see us with 56ish points and around 16th ish.

Don't get me wrong, 16th isn't good enough, but with the massive restriction on bringing players in, no preseason etc, I think thats positive and suggests he could do well with his own players and a preseason.

Its also telling that every opposition commentary I listened to during this run of games said we didn't look like a relegation team, and that we can't have played like this for the whole season else we wouldn't be near the bottom.

I for one am very hopefully for next season and beyond. New owners, new focus, new professionalism. Bring on 21/22.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Azimuth
May 3, 2021, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +711
Gold Stars: 61
So to sum up you think he is amazing but still got us relegated after transfer window and half a season in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
drbell
May 3, 2021, 6:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Genuinely interested to hear the views of those who disagree. As I said I wasn't over the moon when he arrived or certain he would improve us.

Should he have got more from Holloway's players? Should he have got in better quality players?

Is the thought that most other managers who we could attract would have been able to do one or both of these?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
pontoonlew
May 3, 2021, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from drbell
Genuinely interested to hear the views of those who disagree. As I said I wasn't over the moon when he arrived or certain he would improve us.

Should he have got more from Holloway's players? Should he have got in better quality players?

Is the thought that most other managers who we could attract would have been able to do one or both of these?

I think Hurst has turned us into a half decent team but along the way made errors that properly put the nails in our coffin.

It’d be wrong to say Hurst caused our relegation in the same way it’d be wrong to say he’s done a great job. You could argue he’s probably underachieved on the whole, given that we’ve been comfortably relegated.

There are signs though he’s the right man for the job next season, I feel pretty comfortable with him here but let’s not kid ourselves on the job he’s done so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 3, 2021, 9:20pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
After inheriting the players that the previous incumbent left him, he had to be ruthless and send most of the loanees back because they were either under performing or didn't play the style of football Hurst wanted. Having recruited 11 players in the January window (plus a few days for Coke) it would have been impossible to have everyone being at the same level of fitness or be match ready. To be honest I'm surprised he started getting results as quick as he did from March onwards. If he had had only two or three new players then things would have hopefully come together sooner. The players he both inherited and signed are only lower league standard and could not be expected to gel straight away.

I think his recruitment process will have been refined for next season and let's hope he steers clear of signing anyone who has played under him before......mentioning no names.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
jamesgtfc
May 3, 2021, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
To say that an analyst doesn't get you 3 points on a Saturday, results started to pick up for Hurst once the analyst arrived.

I think Limbrick did a lot of analysis too and the wheels started to fall off for Holloway when he wasn't around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
ska face
May 3, 2021, 9:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from drbell
I'd say that I thought Hursts reappointment was sensible rather than exciting, but I have been really impressed by what he has been able to achieve.

I've not seen anyone describe the situation as I see it, or shared many states to back things up, so I did a few mins digging to see if the stats match my feel for what happened...

I thought that our run before and during the transfer window was what might relegate us. I recall specifically thinking the Cambridge game at the start of the window mattered a lot.

Table after that game: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

Looking back, had we won it, we would have been 20th, so with 4 teams below us and prospective signings would see a concern but not be too hung up about relegation. Instead we look somewhat nailed on for relegation given points and extra games played. Come mid and late transfer window there is no way in my mind the table doesn't limit Hursts ability to sign better players in the window.

Mid: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/
End: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

I understand Hurst is the manager but it's not his players, the players we had were questionably not good enough, and as I saw someone else point out (though it's not mentioned enough) he lost 2 of the best players (in terms of creativity and changing a game) in Edwards and Windsor at start of the window so was really playing with his hands behind his back. Injuries didn't help either.

Jump forward a little and despite any impact of league position on who he could get in, our form is not relegation form. I'm allowing a month from window closed for Hurst to start getting his message across and team settled. (BTW I'm old school and am of the opinion a manager needs 1 or 2 seasons to build a team, an approach, and influence an entire club, not weeks, but that's a diff discussion). So given only a month, form from start of March to now:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-...../type:home-and-away/

I personally think that if we played these games again a few times, on average we would get more points than we did. I felt we we could easily have added 4+ points and possibly a fair bit more. Even without that, this form over a whole season would see us with 56ish points and around 16th ish.

Don't get me wrong, 16th isn't good enough, but with the massive restriction on bringing players in, no preseason etc, I think thats positive and suggests he could do well with his own players and a preseason.

Its also telling that every opposition commentary I listened to during this run of games said we didn't look like a relegation team, and that we can't have played like this for the whole season else we wouldn't be near the bottom.

I for one am very hopefully for next season and beyond. New owners, new focus, new professionalism. Bring on 21/22.

Good post that. In terms of recruitment, like I said in another thread, it would be interesting to see who was top of Hurst’s shopping list in Jan. I remember in most interviews with him around that time he mentioned being turned down by targets for a variety of reasons, most notably saying that the league position was playing a part and that some players didn’t fancy a battle at the bottom of League 2.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
RichMariner
May 3, 2021, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
Looking again at what Hurst did when he joined Shrewsbury, he had an extra couple of months there that he didn't have here. That would have been crucial in him getting them above the line in time.

Given six or seven more games, I believe we would have pulled us to safety too, but I also acknowledge we weren't in the bottom two when he took over.

Essentially, Hurst has never been an 'impact' manager. There was never going to be a honeymoon period. He builds squads; he doesn't come in and turn things around instantly through simple motivation and charisma. That's more for (dare I say) a Holloway character to do — which he did with us, initially.

Any managerial appointment at that time was a gamble. There's no way of knowing whether Hurst would've fared any better playing Holloway's signings more, or whether we'd have stormed to safety under another manager.

We can drill down into specifics until we're blue in the face, but the macro view is that we have ourselves a very level-headed and competent manager who, for various reasons, still divides the fan base to a degree, despite what he achieved with us first time round.

For me, there are more pros than cons. Good managers are like good strikers — difficult to find. We have to accept that anyone who comes to manage us in this situation, at this level, won't be faultless.

But after what we've been through since he left in 2016, I'm sort of glad that we can have some sensibility around squad building now. Steady, if not spectacular (although I still have some very fond memories of big wins under Hurst — Gateshead away, Stockport, Halifax and Alfreton at home, Amond, Bogle, Disley, etc, you get my point).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Yossarian
May 3, 2021, 10:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
I'd keep Hurst.  We didn't lose that many games under him at the end - lots of shitty draws, but the guy is dealing with a bad hand.  

One of my weaknesses is that I'd stick rather than twist a lot of the time,  but I'm not sure we'd get better than Hurst right now.

I never really understood the anti Hurst thing when we were in the conference......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Kris2
May 4, 2021, 3:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Yossarian

I never really understood the anti Hurst thing when we were in the conference......

People always felt we were too big for the conference and were upset that we were not walking the league. Along with the fact Hurst has opinions and called out fans on their entitlement made a lot of people upset, GTFC's fanbase tends to enjoy managers who suck up to them more for whatever reason. I think it was mostly that people expected us to just be able to walk the league though and saw Hurst as failing when we lost out on promotion a couple of times before we won the playoffs. There are still some people who just hate the guy in general because he felt the fans were wrong in their impatience and lashing out at players when things were not going our way.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst stats

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.