3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2021, 11:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
During his last spell I wasn’t Hurst’s biggest fan. I felt he should have been sacked in both May 2014 & 2015 when he failed to win promotion. But he got the job done in the end even if it took longer than we wanted it to.

I think he’s done a great job trying to rescue the season and did remarkable to construct a nearly entirely new team in January.

If you look at Holloway he inherited a decent squad. His 14 matches last season returned 21 points (1.5 per game) with a goal difference of -1.

The useless squad he assembled managed 19 points from 19 matches and a goal difference of -15. That’s a third less points than last season and a catastrophic GD.

And much of this points were at the start of the season when every team was struggling with consistency and training restrictions. (Even Colchester got 20 points from their first 8 home matches)

Which sums Holloway up. His 2 stand out successes came when he took squads that were already largely assembled into the Premier League. He never built a successful team himself. He’s a motivator not a builder.

Hurst had 5 matches with the dross he inherited. And got just 1 point from those matches (0.2 per game) with a -9 GD (-1.8 per game).

The squad he knocked together in January has so far managed 19 points from 17 (1.12 per game) with a -4 GD (-0.24 per game).

Over a season that’s around 51 points which whilst not spectacular is enough to stay up. And he did that in 31 days in January. If he had the summer it’s safe to say he would have built a better squad than he was able to in January and would have achieved more than the 51 points his team has averaged since the transfer window closed.

Hurst did a good job last time when he just had an assistant, a GK coach & a physio. He also did most of the player recruitment scouting.

He now has an assistant, a first team coach, a GK coach, a fitness coach, a performance analyst and a physio.

He has more tools at his disposal and if we add infrastructure improvements that have been suggested as well he will have everything he needs to be even better than he was last time.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
horsforthmariner
April 28, 2021, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
Lets be realistic. Who can we possibly get who is better than Hurst? Of course he should stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
April 28, 2021, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,777
Gold Stars: 237
We know he is staying.

He won't stay forever though, and how long it is will depend whether he can get us up in quick time. Despite everything we have endured, things are actually in his favour. He knows the club inside out, he will have new supportive owners who presumably will finance the team he wants.

He has plenty of time to get things ready for next season, we are a bigger fish in a smaller pond to get the best players and there will be improvements to the infrastructure of the club. He needs to hit the ground running and start really well as next season will probably be our best chance of a quick return.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Mayaman
April 28, 2021, 11:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
He should defo stay.  He's grown as a manager compared to when he was last with us I feel.  I almost stopped watching the keystone cops version of football when we were under IH but since PH has returned, you can see some pride and fight in the players as well as more shape and composure. That cannot be done overnight but he managed to do it in a very short time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Rick12
April 28, 2021, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GollyGTFC
During his last spell I wasn’t Hurst’s biggest fan. I felt he should have been sacked in both May 2014 & 2015 when he failed to win promotion. But he got the job done in the end even if it took longer than we wanted it to.

He has more tools at his disposal and if we add infrastructure improvements that have been suggested as well he will have everything he needs to be even better than he was last time.
I go with that. For me he should stay. I think because he got us promoted as well first time around from the conference to the league means there is a bit of love for this club on his part as well.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
arryarryarry
April 28, 2021, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mayaman
He should defo stay.  He's grown as a manager compared to when he was last with us I feel.  I almost stopped watching the keystone cops version of football when we were under IH but since PH has returned, you can see some pride and fight in the players as well as more shape and composure. That cannot be done overnight but he managed to do it in a very short time.  

He had half a season.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Gaffer58
April 28, 2021, 1:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Not a Hurst fan at all but, I think, and from listening to last night’s interview he’s guaranteed for next season, he’s the best placed to sort out all this season dross, he knows all the squad so has already decided on which ones he wants to keep, if any. If a new manager comes in then he has to start from scratch assessing the squad and my fear would be he might keep too many of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
realist
April 28, 2021, 2:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I think you should all re read these posts around Christmas when Hurst is sacked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
DB
April 28, 2021, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from realist
I think you should all re read these posts around Christmas when Hurst is sacked

Nothing like being negative in your thoughts. The current season not ended, new owners not in place, next season no fixture list as it's not started.

Try giving Hurst a chance under the new owners and not judge him when he was given little or no money to spend under Fenty.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
psgmariner
April 28, 2021, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Quoted from Gaffer58
Not a Hurst fan at all but, I think, and from listening to last night’s interview he’s guaranteed for next season, he’s the best placed to sort out all this season dross, he knows all the squad so has already decided on which ones he wants to keep, if any. If a new manager comes in then he has to start from scratch assessing the squad and my fear would be he might keep too many of them.

We need to judge mangers on results not interviews. See previous managers for further details.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
Roast Em Bobby
April 28, 2021, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
He turned us around from our lowest ever ebb before and I feel more confident in him than anyone else to do it again and at least have us in the mix for the playoffs next year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2021, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Hurst managed to get a team/club on its ar£e at Xmas and gave us all hope with 3 games to go. Would Holloway of done that with the sh!tshow he assembled?..nope, we'd have been gone by February.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Teestogreen
April 28, 2021, 9:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
PH for me 🤙
He identified a team with existing players, LJL, Matete and Menehuse and Habergham - then got them reasonably fit in 2 or 3 weeks and welded them in to an effective football unit.
I think that is impressive.
Give him some more resources - he deserves it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
ginnywings
April 28, 2021, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
We can discuss him forever and a day, but he will start the season as manager whatever we say or think.

Like every other manager, he will stand or fall on his results, but I think people underestimate the size of the task and how far behind where we should be.

Other clubs, many of them with less fans and potential, have left us behind in their wake.

It's not just the team that needs rebuilding, it's the entire club and infrastructure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Teestogreen
April 28, 2021, 9:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen
PH for me 🤙
He identified a team with existing players, LJL, Matete and Meneyese and Habergham - then got them reasonably fit in 2 or 3 weeks and welded them in to an effective football unit.
I think that is impressive.
Give him some more resources - he deserves it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Teestogreen
April 28, 2021, 9:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
We can discuss him forever and a day, but he will start the season as manager whatever we say or think.

Like every other manager, he will stand or fall on his results, but I think people underestimate the size of the task and how far behind where we should be.

Other clubs, many of them with less fans and potential, have left us behind in their wake.

It's not just the team that needs rebuilding, it's the entire club and infrastructure.

Agreed - but this thread is about Hurst 100%.
After that - it’s about the club management getting its house in order to back him up imo
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
MarinerWY
April 28, 2021, 9:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from psgmariner

We need to judge mangers on results not interviews. See previous managers for further details.

I get the feeling you simply dont like Hurst, and nothing he could do will change it. He was always marmite, but many who were on the dislike side have given him some credit for turning us into a competing team with the mess he inherited.

Who would you have instead, who would realistically come to National League Grimsby Town?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
GrimRob
April 28, 2021, 10:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,458
Gold Stars: 115
We're in a much better place now than when we last went down and PH joined midway through the first season. There should be a much wider pool of players to select from than the limited amount he could do in January and I'm sure he'll amass a competitive squad. That first year in non-league was a write-off, but I don't think next season will be. Just hope we won't be distracted by the FA Trophy!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 22
arryarryarry
April 28, 2021, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Hurst managed to get a team/club on its ar£e at Xmas and gave us all hope with 3 games to go. Would Holloway of done that with the sh!tshow he assembled?..nope, we'd have been gone by February.

Erm.....PH still hasn't yet managed Holloway's points per game total.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
arryarryarry
April 28, 2021, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

I get the feeling you simply dont like Hurst, and nothing he could do will change it. He was always marmite, but many who were on the dislike side have given him some credit for turning us into a competing team with the mess he inherited.

Who would you have instead, who would realistically come to National League Grimsby Town?

Same old bull excrement question, We never got to know who would have come or will come now as PH was given the job virtually straight away and will be in charge next season.

Could anyone have come in and made it worse?  We are frigging relegated.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
gtfc98
April 29, 2021, 12:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think he’s done a great job trying to rescue the season and did remarkable to construct a nearly entirely new team in January.

If you look at Holloway he inherited a decent squad. His 14 matches last season returned 21 points (1.5 per game) with a goal difference of -1.

The useless squad he assembled managed 19 points from 19 matches and a goal difference of -15. That’s a third less points than last season and a catastrophic GD.

And much of this points were at the start of the season when every team was struggling with consistency and training restrictions. (Even Colchester got 20 points from their first 8 home matches)

Which sums Holloway up. His 2 stand out successes came when he took squads that were already largely assembled into the Premier League. He never built a successful team himself. He’s a motivator not a builder.

Hurst had 5 matches with the dross he inherited. And got just 1 point from those matches (0.2 per game) with a -9 GD (-1.8 per game).

The squad he knocked together in January has so far managed 19 points from 17 (1.12 per game) with a -4 GD (-0.24 per game).

Over a season that’s around 51 points which whilst not spectacular is enough to stay up. And he did that in 31 days in January. If he had the summer it’s safe to say he would have built a better squad than he was able to in January and would have achieved more than the 51 points his team has averaged since the transfer window closed.

Hurst did a good job last time when he just had an assistant, a GK coach & a physio. He also did most of the player recruitment scouting.

He now has an assistant, a first team coach, a GK coach, a fitness coach, a performance analyst and a physio.

excellent post. You've also got to take into account that Hurst achieved this with players he could convince to come join a team bottom of league 2, bang out of form. You'd think if he was starting at the same point Runaway did in pre season he'd have been able to attract a much better caliber of player.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
gtfc98
April 29, 2021, 12:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from GollyGTFC

excellent post. You've also got to take into account that Hurst achieved this with players he could convince to come join a team bottom of league 2, bang out of form. You'd think if he was starting at the same point Runaway did in pre season he'd have been able to attract a much better caliber of player.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
acko338
April 29, 2021, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Once again, persuading players to come across to the far east of the motorway services, with north sea winds lashing in on wintry nights will be hard work.

I suspect that Hurst will be first looking for defenders to make the goals against vastly reduce.

Obviously hoping that his 2 higher level manager jobs will have widened his circle of scout contacts and mansgers willing to loan developing rough diamonds to us.

If by any miracle we can get Matete back and make him an sttacking midfielder to add goals, itwould be a sign of intent.

One thing is certain - there will be rumours abounding, and the "rabbit out of the hat" signings will appear again.

How many ex players will be rumoured for returns?

An interesting close season awaits !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst should 100% stay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.