HertsGTFC
March 21, 2021, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano
bit surprised that hasn't been much comment on the Hurst interview with Matt Dean, which in many ways, was more interesting than the excellent chat with Ira.
Said that under Holloway's regime Ira had been used as a centre forward, but it was only after talking to Ira that Hurst found out that he preferred to play out wide.
There was a lot of coded criticism of Fenty's penny pinching, and it was obvious that Hurst is excited by the new approach the consortium will bring , and the improvements they will be able to make.
I would be very surprised given Stockwood's supportive tweets and the discussions they're obviously having, that Hurst won't be in charge next year. Particularly  that they will soon be concluding talks on next season's budget.
Seems evident that there will be much more support given for playing staff, support staff and facilities.
I got the distinct impression that we must be amongst the worst teams in the league in terms of training facilities and back up staff
There was absolutely no comment about Hurst having any involvement with Fenty and/or Day , just with the Holy Trinity, and indeed it was because of the consortium that Hurst had decided to return ( a subtle insight into his relationship with Fenty methinks).
Did make me think that this must've been an added difficulty for Hurst in that he's working in a vacuum; the old regime are still in charge, but have no power, but the new boys who he seems to be in a regular contact with, have the plans and the money, but no power

As I said I accepted relegation a couple of months ago, it's only interviews like this and the potential of the new Consortium that gives me hope that 'it doesn't have to be like this' and we actually have quite a bright future

Good post Forza!

What we do know is that even if Hurst had been talking to the consortium daily he wouldn’t tell us anything until it all done, to his credit unlike his predecessor he tends not to talk much about what he can’t control. I’m surprised Matt Dean got that much out of him.

We’ll go down and looking at what the playing squad looks like and the lack of infrastructure I’d be amazed if we came straight back up.

The NL may not be completely full of “once great clubs” but it’s certainly got plenty of currently well run clubs who have just as much ambition as us and are further along in their development plans, let’s hope our plan is ready to take off the shelf before the ink drys on the deal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
moosey_club
March 21, 2021, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from forza ivano

had a look at our last Conference table and there's still about the same number of ex League clubs and i think that there is still the same amount of full time club.Even 6 years ago the vast majority were full time.
As for Wrexham there was always one mega bucks club - Luton, FGR etc
I do wonder whether much will have changed in the 6 years we've been away; there may be slightly better pitches, facilities and some clubs may have better off field support staff, but i haven't seen anything to make me think there's anything radically different.

we however, should be much better prepared. Interesting comment earlier in another thread that the budget wasn't as generous as Fenty made out, and i don't see the consortium being that penny pinching. Also whilst some off field stuff will take time, things like the analyst and strength & conditioning can make improvements pretty quickly (especially as we will have nearly 5 months to prepare!)
the hoped for sale of Dembele in the summer would be a nice problem for the consortium and Hurst to deal with.
Also add in that Hurst and Doig have a lot more experience now plus a number of potential rivals will be financially weakened after the shambles of this National League season and there are reasons to be hopeful

Once bitten , twice shy for me.

Whilst p!ssed off we are heading back i am not one of those that is saying thats its for me or i wont go , i loved the realness of the non league , felt much more like real football for me, not standardised almost franchised feel about the Football League and miles away from the financial greed......although i think that has been spreading down since we left.

Certainly wont be thinking its going to be a given that we will be up there, as we will be looking at a largely new squad as well.... albeit

Wherever , however , still GTFC til i die.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
lee65
March 21, 2021, 7:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Can I ask why we think the new consortium are going to put more money in? Just asking the question .

Also, is there a spending “cap” of any kind in the National League?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
forza ivano
March 21, 2021, 7:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good post Forza!

What we do know is that even if Hurst had been talking to the consortium daily he wouldn’t tell us anything until it all done, to his credit unlike his predecessor he tends not to talk much about what he can’t control. I’m surprised Matt Dean got that much out of him.

We’ll go down and looking at what the playing squad looks like and the lack of infrastructure I’d be amazed if we came straight back up.

The NL may not be completely full of “once great clubs” but it’s certainly got plenty of currently well run clubs who have just as much ambition as us and are further along in their development plans, let’s hope our plan is ready to take off the shelf before the ink drys on the deal.

i'm told that the Consortium have always had a plan A and a plan B. i think it's safe to say that they are not the sort of people who will have been sat back twiddling their thumbs during this 3 month period.
i would fully expect to see a costed, coherent plan being revealed almost immediately. it wouldn't surprise me if some sort of CEO was announced at the first pres conference. And i can imagine gym facilities, strength and conditioning and the analysts side being improved almost immediately, as well as some of pyschological input being introduced.
none of this is rocket science and it doesn't need to cost the earth.i think this is why Hurst sounded so enthused, because he can see the possibilities . btw Hurst's tenure at Ipswich must have opened his eyes to how  a proper off field structure should or could be done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
mariner91
March 21, 2021, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Can I ask why we think the new consortium are going to put more money in? Just asking the question .

They'd struggle to put less in than Fenty given that he's spent the last few years taking money out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 11:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

So what you saying hurst gets us to a play off next season and fails you would keep him on for another go ? No idea of fish prices btw and if crowds mattered Sunderland would be in the prem and Accrington would be in the north west counties league

No. Did I say anything to that effect? I’d stop trying to read between the lines.

Of course crowds make a difference. Sunderland are underachieving and Accy are overachieving. Only have to look at their respective histories.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 11:06pm
Meths Drinker

No they haven’t. He went to Stoke, got sacked and came back.

Didn’t realise that. Still doing well as a club with far fewer managers than us.

But as I said before. No one has succeeded with us since came back in the League and I don’t think the underlying reason is the manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

They'd struggle to put less in than Fenty given that he's spent the last few years taking money out.

That might depend on how they are financing the acquisition.

Assuming that they’re not loading the club with debt to buy Fenty out, then we won’t have his loans to pay off any more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Humbercod
March 22, 2021, 1:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Think 1 or 2 maybe getting carried away with consortium finances, and may be in for a surprise with our non league budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
ska face
March 22, 2021, 1:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from Humbercod
Think 1 or 2 maybe getting carried away with consortium finances, and may be in for a surprise with our non league budget.

Think most will just be happy not to see £200k of our money disappear straight into the pocket of a board member lording it up round town in an Aston Martin.

We’re starting from a very, very, VERY low bar when it comes to club owners.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst and the consortium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.