Tommy
March 21, 2021, 12:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I think there is a lot of truth in this, our 'new' side is about 9 games in (since Newport), with no preseason. If those 9 games were at the start of the season I don't think I'd be that worried.

Is our 'new' side any better than the 'old' side from the first half of the season though?

In any case, we started today with 5 Hurst-signed players on the pitch. And then looked better when that number was reduced to 3 after half time. So although we signed a lot of players in January, half of them are either injured or have already been found to be no real improvement on what we had. So it's not quite the "new XI" that it was for a couple of games once we signed them all.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 8:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
How much money did Hurst have to spend though Tommy? All we’ve got is some bald statement from the current board that money would be made available. We don’t know how much and their track record of penny-pinching, and misleading statements doesn’t give me any confidence that Hurst was given a decent budget.

Look at the early season statement that we have spent up to the permitted spending cap, and then in January their sudden change and the statement that we had money available. Which one is correct?

Hurst would not have gone shopping in the bargain buckets for other people’s cast offs if he didn’t have to.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
March 21, 2021, 8:06am
Guest User
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
95 minutes before we created a chance from open play. The one that was headed against the post. That was the only moment of the game when we’ve created a goal scoring opportunity in open play.

That’s the story week after week.

If you do not feed your strikers/forwards, and you don’t find a way to open teams up, then you just don’t score enough goals.

Credit to LJL for his movement in the box and the headed goal from the corner. Credit to George Williams for a super free kick. But 95 minutes of open play before creating a chance in open play is just not good enough

A goal is a goal, no matter where it comes from.

Reply: 42 - 58
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 8:08am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 123614

A goal is a goal, no matter where it comes from.

Didn’t you know about the new rules BAWB? I didn’t until Phil mentioned it.

Apparently set-piece goals only count as 0.5 of a goal so we actually lost 2:1.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
March 21, 2021, 8:14am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Didn’t you know about the new rules BAWB? I didn’t until Phil mentioned it.

Apparently set-piece goals only count as 0.5 of a goal so we actually lost 2:1.

Well bugga me, you learn something new every day of the week.

Reply: 44 - 58
forza ivano
March 21, 2021, 10:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from 123614

i'll pass on that, if i may  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
DB
March 21, 2021, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from 123614

Apparently Fillipe's brain is full of knowledge, it's just the way it comes out. Priceless gibberish.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
arryarryarry
March 21, 2021, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from KingstonMariner
How much money did Hurst have to spend though Tommy? All we’ve got is some bald statement from the current board that money would be made available. We don’t know how much and their track record of penny-pinching, and misleading statements doesn’t give me any confidence that Hurst was given a decent budget.

Look at the early season statement that we have spent up to the permitted spending cap, and then in January their sudden change and the statement that we had money available. Which one is correct?

Hurst would not have gone shopping in the bargain buckets for other people’s cast offs if he didn’t have to.

Which makes you wonder why he had to sign so many.

I think someone pointed out yesterday that we finished the game and looked better than we have done for a while with only 3 of his signings.

Perhaps if he had signed less but tried to get better quality with higher wages he/we may have done better.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2021, 12:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Which makes you wonder why he had to sign so many.

I think someone pointed out yesterday that we finished the game and looked better than we have done for a while with only 3 of his signings.

Perhaps if he had signed less but tried to get better quality with higher wages he/we may have done better.

I’m not defending everything Hurst does. Just adding a bit of perspective. I was one of the Hurst Out brigade in the Conference. I just don’t think he deliberately signed bad players. He clearly didn’t have confidence in the players he inherited. And I don’t blame him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
fishcake63
March 21, 2021, 1:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
All for bringing players in if better than we had & on yesterdays evidence it needs asking why have williams spokes etc etc not been anywhere near squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 95 minutes for a chance

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.