4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
March 18, 2021, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Accept it or not were going down. I don't like the idea but results, league position call it what you like point in one direction.

F1 teams start to think about the next season before the current one is over and that's what we ought to copy. Hurst was a good manager for us in the past and that is where our memories of him should stay. He has not been in the NL for years and it has changed a great deal since he was their. For us to have him as manager in the NL he would be playing catch up.

It has been said on many posts who should we have to replace him, who would be better equipped. Looking at the NL managers with experience these 4 stand out, and they all play 4-4-2.

Ben Stevens   Eastleigh   2 1/2 years
Neil Smith      Bromley     5  years
Luke Garrard  Boreham Wood  5 1/2 years
Andy Hessenthalger  Dover  2 1/2 years.

and outsider
Ian Colverhouse Kings Lynn  2 1/2 years , but he prefers 4-1-5-1

Curtis Woodhouse, as mentioned on here, might deserve a chance.

All the above NL manager, apart from Ian Colverhouse have been around the NL for a while and would know the opposition, strengths and weakness's. As their is no relegation the only team they would know little about is the one that drops with us, more than likely Southend.

None of these managers will have had support like we can give, once BP is open. Given Dover have run out of money, I don't think other mentioned clubs would be able to give them a budget what they should get from us.

Ian Colverhouse has done well for Kings Lynn getting them into the NL on what must be a shoe string budget which is why I included him. Also the praises of Curtis Woodhouse on here show what he was capable of at Gainsborough and he is an ex town player, so would know is expected of him.

So who would you want from this list, or somebody different.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
W.T.F
March 18, 2021, 1:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 2
Culverhouse all the way for me - any manager that can get away with playing  playing 13 players in a 4 - 2 - 5 - 1 formation is worth their weight in gold 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
pizzzza
March 18, 2021, 1:13pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from DB

and outsider
Ian Colverhouse Kings Lynn  2 1/2 years , but he prefers 4-2-5-1

What about a manager with experience of actually getting promoted from the NL? Do we know anyone?

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from W.T.F
Culverhouse all the way for me - any manager that can get away with playing  playing 13 players in a 4 - 2 - 5 - 1 formation is worth their weight in gold 😁

Sorry corrected it for you.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
MarshMariner
March 18, 2021, 1:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Looking at the NL managers with experience these 4 stand out  

Are they all still in non-league for a reason?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Jarmo.Is.God
March 18, 2021, 1:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from DB
Accept it or not were going down. I don't like the idea but results, league position call it what you like point in one direction.

F1 teams start to think about the next season before the current one is over and that's what we ought to copy. Hurst was a good manager for us in the past and that is where our memories of him should stay. He has not been in the NL for years and it has changed a great deal since he was their. For us to have him as manager in the NL he would be playing catch up.

It has been said on many posts who should we have to replace him, who would be better equipped. Looking at the NL managers with experience these 4 stand out, and they all play 4-4-2.

and outsider
Ian Colverhouse Kings Lynn  2 1/2 years , but he prefers 4-1-5-1

All the above NL manager, apart from Ian Colverhouse have been around the NL for a while and would know the opposition, strengths and weakness's. As their is no relegation the only team they would know little about is the one that drops with us, more than likely Southend.

None of these managers will have had support like we can give, once BP is open. Given Dover have run out of money, I don't think other mentioned clubs would be able to give them a budget what they should get from us.

Ian Colverhouse has done well for Kings Lynn getting them into the NL on what must be a shoe string budget which is why I included him. Also the praises of Curtis Woodhouse on here show what he was capable of at Gainsborough and he is an ex town player, so would know is expected of him.

So who would you want from this list, or somebody different.

You've created more threads than we've scored goals this season...

We have a manager, and he's contracted until the end of next season.
Why are we even discussing this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarshMariner
Looking at the NL managers with experience these 4 stand out  

Are they all still in non-league for a reason?

Which, if you read my post, is probably lack of money i.e. budget.
And of course we will be joining them  for a reason!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Tinymariner
March 18, 2021, 1:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Stick with PH.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

You've created more threads than we've scored goals this season...

We have a manager, and he's contracted until the end of next season.
Why are we even discussing this?

Just shows how bloody poor we've been. Pay the man off who has provided us with a team that scored 6 goals in 13 games. 0.46 goals per game.

Because the question was asked on another thread. It's called right to reply, freedom of speech, democratic country.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
Jarmo.Is.God
March 18, 2021, 1:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from DB

Just shows how bloody poor we've been. Pay the man off who has provided us with a team that scored 6 goals in 13 games. 0.46 goals per game.

Because the question was asked on another thread. It's called right to reply, freedom of speech, democratic country.

So why didn't you reply on that thread?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner
Stick with PH.

Any particular reason?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Zmariner
March 18, 2021, 1:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from W.T.F

I agree with this and to add to it I think I would go for a formation of fullbacks and wingbacks. This has the advantage of defensive strength and more potency going forward. Sorry… Just need some fun somewhere at the moment. On another subject I have another good idea to save the club some money next season. I picked up my old season-ticket that said ‘we are back’ Now if the printers still have the template we could use this next season utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
malkamalka
March 18, 2021, 2:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from DB

Oh, I always thought you lived in England DB

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Mallyner
March 18, 2021, 2:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from W.T.F

You have put my mind at ease, it was baffling me how most of the teams we have lost to, seem to have had more players on the pitch than us.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
golfer
March 18, 2021, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Hurst is our manager and there are reasons beyond his control why we are in the position we are so as far as I am concerned we shouldn't be even discussing getting rid of him. We have had some shite a sight worse than him in recent years. I would give him a full year to see what he can do and if the takeover materialises there might be a bit more cash to play with. At the moment the manager needs our support so let's give him it and hope the tide turns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
arryarryarry
March 18, 2021, 2:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pizzzza

What about a manager with experience of actually getting promoted from the NL? Do we know anyone?

I know of one manager who had never achieved promotion from the National League/Conference :-

Alan Buckley.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
jimgtfc
March 18, 2021, 2:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
Paul is staying, it’s as simple as that. Some won’t like that, my guess though would be that the vast majority of fans would be more than happy it. Has he got it right this time? Well no, obviously not but I certainly wouldn’t place much blame at his doorstep. He had a month to scramble an attempt at patching a squad together to get us out of this mess, it hasn’t worked, but we know what we’ll be getting with him and some longevity and stability coupled with a takeover and fresh approach is exactly what we need from the summer onwards. He knows this club, he knows the people, he knows what it takes. Experience and knowledge of the national league and the divisions above and below it, history of promotion from it too. He’s exactly the type of manager we’d be after anyway, so why not go with him? Let him plan ahead now, give him a full summer, a preseason (remember what that is?), and I’m sure he’ll be the best option to us.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 18, 2021, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,025
Gold Stars: 190
When do you back to school?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

You have put my mind at ease, it was baffling me how most of the teams we have lost to, seem to have had more players on the pitch than us.  

Mally it's all my fault. I pressed the wrong key when made the original post and other have just linked from it. Please accept my apologies as I had not intended to mislead and others should not be 'got at' for my error.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Why on Gods earth has DB started a New Manager thread, when there is already one called Next Manager - None League

Has DB lost the plot today? I sensed he had when in another thread he alluded to the need to compare LJL to strikers in the Premier League

Priceless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
buckstown
March 18, 2021, 2:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
DB, freedom of speech is a great thing, but at 30 posts a day I suspect someone may have told you that the more you post the higher you'll be valued.
This is not the case so why not try quality over volume. We may think more of you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
davmariner
March 18, 2021, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Anyone suggesting Curtis Woodhouse should receive a lifetime ban from Blundell Park.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 2:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Mallyner

He’s having a mare of a day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Hurst is our manager and there are reasons beyond his control why we are in the position we are so as far as I am concerned we shouldn't be even discussing getting rid of him. We have had some shite a sight worse than him in recent years. I would give him a full year to see what he can do and if the takeover materialises there might be a bit more cash to play with. At the moment the manager needs our support so let's give him it and hope the tide turns.

Hurst took the job knowing that the sole aim was to keep the club in the league.
He was aware of the squad before he came
He would have been told his budget before he signed, or he was a fool (don't think so).
He told everybody 'It's a mess', thus helping to demoralising the existing squad. By saying this he also put unnecessary  added pressure upon himself.
He decided to bring in a new squad to sort out the mess, this was his decision based on his experience.

We have had some crap managers in the last few years, but they haven't put us in the NL.

Hurst had support from the moment he was appointed, even by those who didn't like his appointment. In fact like you many on here still give him that support.

The tide has not turned under him, facts prove it has got worse to the extent of relegation. In any other occupation he would be called a failure and is so on here. He has not done what was expect of him so should be dismissed, or have the guts to say I was wrong and resign.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
ex-merseymariner
March 18, 2021, 2:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Dear DB

You have been on this board about 2.5 months.
You post 30 posts PER day on average.  (Have a look at other posters and their averages!)
You create countless threads, often duplicating current threads.

You spout a lot of nonsense including a post where you referred to a 4-2-5-1 formation, now ''corrected" to 4-1-5-1, which still leaves that team without a goalkeeper or with 12 players.   Why don't you think before you post, slow down a bit, consider your posts, listen to others?

Its getting embarrassing. I think you need to listen or leave.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Why on Gods earth has DB started a New Manager thread, when there is already one called Next Manager - None League

Has DB lost the plot today? I sensed he had when in another thread he alluded to the need to compare LJL to strikers in the Premier League

Priceless.

The only plot I can think of for you is in a graveyard. If you would care to engage the bit between the ears then you would recall that it was you who asked the question of me.

Your eye sight may also be failing you as what I said was Prem managers say you have to take your chances when they come. To simplify this for you the saying means that when goal scoring chances are limited you have to score. Unfortunately LJL didn't twice, It was not a comparison with LJL being in the Prem; as you should have well know. Scoring points is something you try to do.

The only priceless bit is your lack of comprehension.

Now pop of and have tea with John and report back to him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Bristol Mariner
March 18, 2021, 3:04pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
You should leave with Fenty and shut the door behind you, take Noche with you too....

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
GollyGTFC
March 18, 2021, 3:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
We are being taken over by a consortium of businessmen who include a guy who has written a book about treating people well and with respect.

Now google why Ian Culverhouse was sacked at Aston Villa.

That’s the reason a FIFA Pro licence coach has had 2 spells at KLT sandwiching a terrible spell at Grantham Town.

Oh and Hurst should stay whatever happens for the remainder of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 30
TwoLeftFeet
March 18, 2021, 3:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Great another post about a new manager just what we need.. Hurst is in charge and given time and backing he's the fella I would back to sort the mess out left by runaway and JF.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
GrimRob
March 18, 2021, 3:27pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
I am locking this thread as we already have another on the same subject. DB could you not create threads if there are already ones present.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 30
DB
March 18, 2021, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Dear DB

You have been on this board about 2.5 months.
You post 30 posts PER day on average.  (Have a look at other posters and their averages!)
You create countless threads, often duplicating current threads.

You spout a lot of nonsense including a post where you referred to a 4-2-5-1 formation, now ''corrected" to 4-1-5-1, which still leaves that team without a goalkeeper or with 12 players.   Why don't you think before you post, slow down a bit, consider your posts, listen to others?

Its getting embarrassing. I think you need to listen or leave.

I really feel embarrassed for you, you've been on this site for 13 years and contributed so little. Still it takes all sorts to be a fan and I am pleased for you. You've been counting my posts but you fail to take note that I contribute on most threads, not just The Fishy. With regard to listening/reading I do and I have the utmost respect for most on here. I do include you in this category as you do say what you think.

However being a supporter for over 60 years I have no intension of leaving, and as you can guess my typing skills are not that of younger people so you will have to accept that. The thing I do bring is that if I do not understand I ask, not assume. If I am wrong I do apologise. I also bring one thing and that is my passion for town to succeed, be a first class club in the championship where they belong( would like to say the prem but can't see it ). I also like the first class fans on here, who regardless of banter and opinions only want the best for town.

So my fishy friend you are lumbered with me as I'm not leaving.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.