Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LJL Town Legend.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 271 Guests

LJL Town Legend.

This thread currently has 6,756 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 10:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Let’s face it we aren’t creating any goal scoring opportunities in quantity for LJL or any other of the forwards

If you give LJL more than one solitary chance in a game, then he will score you some goals

In the last two games he has been given one chance per game and neither were easy

The one against Colchester that went over the bar, was already rising off the GK and was slightly behind him. He did his best to adjust and it skimmed off his knee or thigh I think, and continued rising.

The chance last night was a first time shot that came to him quickly and he struck it and hit the target. Sadly needed to be either side of the keeper and not down the middle, but that was his only chance provided to him in the game. Many would have spooned that high wide and not very handsome.

The crux of the matter is that we now need to start creating goal scoring chances. We now look solid and hard to play against. We now defend compactly and frustrate teams. But we’ve now got to be more effective in that turnover of possession on the counter, in order to create goal scoring chances for LJL or any other striker.

We looked more of a threat in the second half last night when Jackson came on. Lammy is looking decent too. Hanson always disappoints me. The size of him, he should be horrible to play against up there like Matt Read was, but he just doesn’t seem to do it enough for me.

Create chances and we will score some goals
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 18, 2021, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Let’s face it we aren’t creating any goal scoring opportunities in quantity for LJL or any other of the forwards

If you give LJL more than one solitary chance in a game, then he will score you some goals

In the last two games he has been given one chance per game and neither were easy

The one against Colchester that went over the bar, was already rising off the GK and was slightly behind him. He did his best to adjust and it skimmed off his knee or thigh I think, and continued rising.

The chance last night was a first time shot that came to him quickly and he struck it and hit the target. Sadly needed to be either side of the keeper and not down the middle, but that was his only chance provided to him in the game. Many would have spooned that high wide and not very handsome.

The crux of the matter is that we now need to start creating goal scoring chances. We now look solid and hard to play against. We now defend compactly and frustrate teams. But we’ve now got to be more effective in that turnover of possession on the counter, in order to create goal scoring chances for LJL or any other striker.

We looked more of a threat in the second half last night when Jackson came on. Lammy is looking decent too. Hanson always disappoints me. The size of him, he should be horrible to play against up there like Matt Read was, but he just doesn’t seem to do it enough for me.

I am sure these players will be a handful in non-league. Just a bit to late though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
DB
March 18, 2021, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

Listen to some prem manager and they will say something like "We will get an opportunity and you have to take it".  LJL has had 2 chances and missed them both.

Excuses, excuses are all I've in weeks. The fact is Hurst's team is not good enough, if they were we wouldn't be bottom of the league.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
DB
March 18, 2021, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

I am sure these players will be a handful in non-league. Just a bit to late though.

If they can't keep us in the EFL I can't see them getting us promoted from the NL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
NorfolkImp
March 18, 2021, 11:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
I watched last night .... good lord, how bad was that 1st half? I honestly can't recall a Grimsby side ever hoof it so aimlessly, and I'm not even sure LJL or Hanson had a touch did they?

Much improved in the 2nd half, I thought Clifton looked decent to be fair and the defence was solid, but I don't see where the goals are going to come from to save you, and turn draws into valuable wins?

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 11:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Listen to some prem manager and they will say something like "We will get an opportunity and you have to take it".  LJL has had 2 chances and missed them both.

Excuses, excuses are all I've in weeks. The fact is Hurst's team is not good enough, if they were we wouldn't be bottom of the league.

Is DB really comparing LJL to the top strikers that Premier League managers have at their disposal.

I might have print that remark out and frame it for my office wall, or give it the gold button award at the very least.

Priceless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Tommy
March 18, 2021, 11:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76

Sorry but that chance against Colchester wasn't a difficult chance. I can be forgiving of strikers for missing if it's an awkward chance or something. But it wasn't so far behind him to cause a problem, and want exactly bounced towards him at pace. He had time to adjust and he missed.

Strikers are there to adjust quickly to balls in the box to put them in the net. Not every shot at goal they have will be a perfectly set up lay off or a penalty. Any half decent goalscorer scores that with ease. It was 2 yards out in the middle of an open goal.

Even the one last night. It didnt come at him quickly. It came at him at a good pace, at the speed a normal pass would to stop it being intercepted. The problem is his composure in finishing situations is very poor, as is, generally, his finishing technique. I'm not going to praise him just because he didn't hit it "high wide and not very handsome."

Don't get me wrong, I'm no LJL hater or anything like that. I see what he brings to the team. But chances like these need to be taken, and would be by a competent League 2 striker. I don't expect a target man style striker to get 20 a season (Livvo etc never did) but being able to finish chances like that should be expected.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 11:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

Sorry but that chance against Colchester wasn't a difficult chance. I can be forgiving of strikers for missing if it's an awkward chance or something. But it wasn't so far behind him to cause a problem, and want exactly bounced towards him at pace. He had time to adjust and he missed.

Strikers are there to adjust quickly to balls in the box to put them in the net. Not every shot at goal they have will be a perfectly set up lay off or a penalty. Any half decent goalscorer scores that with ease. It was 2 yards out in the middle of an open goal.

Even the one last night. It didnt come at him quickly. It came at him at a good pace, at the speed a normal pass would to stop it being intercepted. The problem is his composure in finishing situations is very poor, as is, generally, his finishing technique. I'm not going to praise him just because he didn't hit it "high wide and not very handsome."

Don't get me wrong, I'm no LJL hater or anything like that. I see what he brings to the team. But chances like these need to be taken, and would be by a competent League 2 striker. I don't expect a target man style striker to get 20 a season (Livvo etc never did) but being able to finish chances like that should be expected.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one then. But I’m wholly respectful of your opinion, as that is what it’s all about isn’t it

Have a good day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Sir Matt Tease
March 18, 2021, 11:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Just checked the meaning of the word legend;

A legend is someone who leaves behind an unforgettable impression on others. They touch lives, they're remembered, they're cherished. There are all sorts of legends in this world – famous or not. Becoming one means finding your particular role, your calling, following it, and touching others around you.

If you refer to someone as a legend, you mean that they are very famous and admired by a lot of people.

None of the above applies to Mr Lewis.

Matt Tees on the other had.................................LEGEND !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
mimma
March 18, 2021, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
For what it's worth, I'll add my two-pennath worth.
The players are playing under enormous pressure which is affecting their performances. They don't want to be the one that makes a mistake that takes us nearer the dreaded drop, so it makes them cautious and unwilling to take a risk, especially up front. If we were to get a two goal lead then they would be more relaxed and then chances would be more likely to be created and taken. Confidence is key. We desperately need to get a run together and perhaps we can see the real potential of this team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LJL Town Legend.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.