3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 10, 2021, 3:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Gregor Robertson has an excellent article today in The Times on Barnsley’s “vertical football” and ultra pressing that has taken them to the play off places in the Championship.

There have been some unflattering comments.

“ Last week Yann Valery, the Birmingham City full back, said “they don’t play football, they just play long balls,” which as you might imagine amused Barnsley fans no end. Millwall’s Jed Wallace recently told the Not The Top 20 Podcast that he had “never played against a team like that at any level of football. The way they play is mental,” he said. Valery’s manager, Gary Rowett, even referenced John Beck’s notorious Cambridge United team — of which he was a member — in the early Nineties. “Good luck to them,” he added, rather more magnanimously than others.”

I just wonder, would our fans take the same attitude as the Barnsley fans if Town were to play the same way?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
ginnywings
March 10, 2021, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Gregor Robertson has an excellent article today in The Times on Barnsley’s “vertical football” and ultra pressing that has taken them to the play off places in the Championship.

“ Last week Yann Valery, the Birmingham City full back, said “they don’t play football, they just play long balls,” which as you might imagine amused Barnsley fans no end. Millwall’s Jed Wallace recently told the Not The Top 20 Podcast that he had “never played against a team like that at any level of football. The way they play is mental,” he said. Valery’s manager, Gary Rowett, even referenced John Beck’s notorious Cambridge United team — of which he was a member — in the early Nineties. “Good luck to them,” he added, rather more magnanimously than others.”

I just wonder, would our fans take the same attitude as the Barnsley fans if Town were to play the same way?

Weren't Barnsley in relegation trouble not that long ago?

If so, who can blame them for playing in a way that brings results?

If we do it and win games, bring it on. Needs must.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2021, 5:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’d be happier playing vertical football or whatever is the trendy term for Route One rather than whatever it is we are playing now, providing of course we were any good at it.

I remember thinking about Mike Lyon’s time, that it wasn’t so much Route One that was the reason he was disliked, as the fact we were shyte at it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
kafunanapar140909
March 10, 2021, 5:08pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50

The last couple of games we have played that way. We've been super direct, straight up to Hanson and Shop. To be fair, I'm always amazed just how much Hanson wins in the air - he's seriously good at it. It feels like we're slowly developing an actual game plan which revolves around him up top and Shop playing just off him, with Matete and Coke in the middle hoovering up anything that spills loose.

Just hope they can stay fit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
DB
March 10, 2021, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
If you look at a league table a result is a result. How it happens is of little consequence. I am not a lover of modern type football and much prefer the George Kerr model.

As far as Barnsley are concerned good look to them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
DB
March 10, 2021, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

The last couple of games we have played that way. We've been super direct, straight up to Hanson and Shop. To be fair, I'm always amazed just how much Hanson wins in the air - he's seriously good at it. It feels like we're slowly developing an actual game plan which revolves around him up top and Shop playing just off him, with Matete and Coke in the middle hoovering up anything that spills loose.

Just hope they can stay fit.

But he didn't get to the header that lead to Carlisle's goal.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 10, 2021, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I’d be happier playing vertical football or whatever is the trendy term for Route One rather than whatever it is we are playing now, providing of course we were any good at it.

I remember thinking about Mike Lyon’s time, that it wasn’t so much Route One that was the reason he was disliked, as the fact we were shyte at it.

And he was a complete c*nt........don't get me started on Lyons as manager.......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 10, 2021, 5:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309

We are the fans who coined the phrase 'Sladeball' and hammered our manager as he took us to the 4th Division play off final....that's your answer.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 10, 2021, 5:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Think only the purists moan about the style if your winning matches. Long ball to Tees’s head flick for Brace or Jack Lewis and ends up in the net who complains? Same with Gary Jones and Reddy. Played correctly and well if it wins matches certainly better then the current love of centre halves passing it squarely to each other before either mucking it up or hurriedly passing back to a keeper to launch it forward anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
louth_in_the_south
March 10, 2021, 5:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
I always thought the idea of football was to get the ball in the opponent’s goal . Don’t really care how that happens and you don’t get extra points for tippy tappy bull.shi.t

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.