diehardmariner
February 2, 2021, 2:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
True, always all about opinions.

Vernam was signed by Jaxe Buxton who was sacked just before the New Year.  Jimmy Flloyd Hasseilbaink has come in to a side who are rock bottom of League One, signed nine new players and a return to a more pragmatic style of play.  The grab a lead and defend the 1-0 isn't something that's going to suit someone like Vernam.

Early reports from Burton were that he was their best player and had hit the ground running before a niggling injury ruled him out for a bit.  

I think there's always going to be an element of him that is susceptible to injuries and niggles.  But I personally wouldn't judge Vernam on his time at Burton.  We've had plenty of players come through the door this season into a poor side, made little impression and then secured a move to a higher level.  There's also the element that League One is a higher standard than ours.  Vernam wouldn't be the first player to excel at this level but fail to make the step up in League One.  
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
Posh Harry
February 2, 2021, 3:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
True, always all about opinions.

Vernam was signed by Jaxe Buxton who was sacked just before the New Year.  Jimmy Flloyd Hasseilbaink has come in to a side who are rock bottom of League One, signed nine new players and a return to a more pragmatic style of play.  The grab a lead and defend the 1-0 isn't something that's going to suit someone like Vernam.

Early reports from Burton were that he was their best player and had hit the ground running before a niggling injury ruled him out for a bit.  

I think there's always going to be an element of him that is susceptible to injuries and niggles.  But I personally wouldn't judge Vernam on his time at Burton.  We've had plenty of players come through the door this season into a poor side, made little impression and then secured a move to a higher level.  There's also the element that League One is a higher standard than ours.  Vernam wouldn't be the first player to excel at this level but fail to make the step up in League One.  

I agree with most of what you said, but the ironic thing is that a team cannot just defend a lead, they need an outlet, and someone with pace to take the pressure off and launch counter attacks, which he would be ideal for!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
oochiad
February 2, 2021, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I know he had a good short spell with us but I’m not unduly upset by him going to Bradford. I think his purple patch with us is long over hence him not pulling up any trees at Burton. Wouldn’t surprise me all all if he didn’t kick on at Bradford.....Not jealous in the slightest.....😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
diehardmariner
February 2, 2021, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Posh Harry

I agree with most of what you said, but the ironic thing is that a team cannot just defend a lead, they need an outlet, and someone with pace to take the pressure off and launch counter attacks, which he would be ideal for!

Oh I completely agree.  I always think having someone who opposition fear is the best form of defence - less likely to commit men forward knowing there's someone capable of taking full advantage on the counter.

I just don't think he would fit in with how Hasselbaink sets his sides up.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
Tinymariner
February 6, 2021, 1:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Scored now!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.