HertsGTFC
January 31, 2021, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MrFisherman
The club took advice on Vernams contract extension from the EFL and they gave Town and because of that we lost Vernam

But what did "advice on his contract" actually mean? It's the first time that I've heard that a club asks the people who run the league about a players contract. The FA possibly, the PFA maybe, the lawyers definitely but the EFL? I'm not sure why unless the question was "how likely is it that this season will actually start"? As many of us suspect Runaway, Fenty and Day didn't expect this season to go ahead so they thought we can off load Chas with minimal immediate impact.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
January 31, 2021, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,780
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MrFisherman
The club took advice on Vernams contract extension from the EFL and they gave Town and because of that we lost Vernam

But that is the problem isn't it?

They should not need to be taking "advice" also known as what is the least we can get away with?

He was a valued employee, employed to play and enjoy his football with us. He was playing well, would have been a real asset but we aren't bothered about building the club or looking after its assets, all we are bothered about is the bottom line.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
Davec
January 31, 2021, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
The same people on here hammering the board for Vernam was at the time defending the club to let Vernam go, I remember when Phillip Day come on the radio to explain it many fans were saying how it is the totally the correct decision and how the club is dealing with Covid really well.

I never thought that, it was sheer incompetence, that and the Covid clauses and furloughing groundsman and being last to come back to pre season. absolute incompetence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
Swansea_Mariner
January 31, 2021, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
As I remember it most people were unhappy with the board about Vernams departure, yes there were a few saying blah blah let's be prudent, but far from the majority. Don't think anything has changed in relation to Vernam specifically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
pontoonlew
January 31, 2021, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Davec
The same people on here hammering the board for Vernam was at the time defending the club to let Vernam go, I remember when Phillip Day come on the radio to explain it many fans were saying how it is the totally the correct decision and how the club is dealing with Covid really well.

I never thought that, it was sheer incompetence, that and the Covid clauses and furloughing groundsman and being last to come back to pre season. absolute incompetence.

Exactly this, it was perfectly obvious the club was sleepwalking into a disaster and fans widely praised Day for his decisions so he carried on making them.

Utterly frustrating seeing the same names now saying it was a bad idea, wish they’d said that in the summer instead of shouting everyone down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
Mariner_501
January 31, 2021, 1:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Vernam can do one. Isn’t he a local lad? If things aren’t going great at Burton he should be desperate to get back here and help save us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
psgmariner
January 31, 2021, 1:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Scunny fan

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
pontoonlew
January 31, 2021, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from psgmariner
Scunny fan

I think we all know where this ones going...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
IlkleyMariner
January 31, 2021, 1:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Scunny now irrelevant as they have broken clear of the relegation scrap.
We should hope they win every game v bottom half teams from now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
moosey_club
January 31, 2021, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Well...with the club also claiming "they followed EFL guidance and advice " regards our Covid case handling ...for which we subsequently got fined for  , then I think it's safe to say that they have form when it comes to claiming the  EFL  advice was taken and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It was, and always has been a purely financial decision. The EFL probably advised us that a contract is a contract and if the season was halted it would still stand as a contract to which we do know the club then inserted covid clauses which meant that any  contract to Vernam was a lesser offer thus failing to trigger the extension clause.
He therefore felt aggrieved enough to leave, bag himself a club higher up the pyramid, on a longer contract and probably on more cash.
It was always a gamble inserting those clauses and we know that our board very much hedge their bets when it comes to finances so they gambled on spending less in the hope the season wouldnt go through.  So far.....it looks like a losing gambit.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.