DB
January 11, 2021, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from RonMariner
Well there are lies, damn lies, and statistics......

And the experimental 3 6 1 web site. Logged onto the link and Town were top in August!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
moosey_club
January 11, 2021, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Poojah

You don't think that clubs use data and statistics to underpin their approach in addition to observational based analysis?

I am sure those little vests they all wear come in very handy when it comes to showing who runs how far, their individual heat maps etc etc but i dont think they record how good their first touches are, the passes they fail to see, the runners they dont pick up, and in what direction the 20 passes they manage to complete in a game went.

It can be useful i am sure but i would take the worlds laziest striker right now if he scored a goal in the limited yards he covered every week.

You can get lost in stats, i think Jolley was reported to not do a team talk until he had the data , you shouldnt need data, read outs, etc if you have just watched the team for 45 mins / 90 mins.

And at the the end of the day....all those stats and the "made up" table shown on the O.P only show that we are woefully underperforming....
funnily enough i had kind of noticed that myself.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
ginnywings
January 11, 2021, 9:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

You don't think that clubs use data and statistics to underpin their approach in addition to observational based analysis?

It worked for the Oakland Athletics in the film Moneyball.

I get that it can be an aid to pinpointing areas of the team that can be improved, even if it's by minimal amounts.

But it doesn't take statistical analysis to see where we are going wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
DB
January 11, 2021, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings

It worked for the Oakland Athletics in the film Moneyball.

I get that it can be an aid to pinpointing areas of the team that can be improved, even if it's by minimal amounts.

But it doesn't take statistical analysis to see where we are going wrong.

There only one area it's going wrong for us, it's called the pitch

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 10:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from DB

And the experimental 3 6 1 web site. Logged onto the link and Town were top in August!

Only chance of that happening now is if they print the table upside down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 10:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
Or perhaps if we read it standing on our heads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
arryarryarry
January 11, 2021, 11:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from moosey_club

I am sure those little vests they all wear come in very handy when it comes to showing who runs how far, their individual heat maps etc etc but i dont think they record how good their first touches are, the passes they fail to see, the runners they dont pick up, and in what direction the 20 passes they manage to complete in a game went.

It can be useful i am sure but i would take the worlds laziest striker right now if he scored a goal in the limited yards he covered every week.

You can get lost in stats, i think Jolley was reported to not do a team talk until he had the data , you shouldnt need data, read outs, etc if you have just watched the team for 45 mins / 90 mins.

And at the the end of the day....all those stats and the "made up" table shown on the O.P only show that we are woefully underperforming....
funnily enough i had kind of noticed that myself.

My understanding is that when MJ and AL were in charge of the team, they did all the analysing of the match footage, since IH came they have used a part-time analyst so they do provide data to individual players.

I assume PH wants a full-time analyst to do all the data and leave him to get on with actually managing the players which sounds the best way, however it makes you wonder how Alan Buckley managed to do so well without all this technology.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Meza
January 11, 2021, 11:53pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
a work mate mentioned that when the Cowleys was at Lincoln he said they would instruct the team to pump balls in the box shoot often from range and put as much pressure on the back four (even direct balls to stretch the play).  I aint seen any of this at the moment.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
diehardmariner
January 12, 2021, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Meza
a work mate mentioned that when the Cowleys was at Lincoln he said they would instruct the team to pump balls in the box shoot often from range and put as much pressure on the back four (even direct balls to stretch the play).  I aint seen any of this at the moment.

Reminds me a bit of when Slade was here first time and his approach was that he wanted his defenders to drive angled balls long with the midfielders pressing high.  The idea was that the angled ball was difficult for the defenders to handle, they would either let it go which allowed someone like Reddy to get on the end of.  If the defender did manage to get a head to it, they struggled to direct their header anywhere which allowed someone like Paul Bolland to pick it up.  

What we've lacked this season is any sort of approach.  Pretty difficult when your squad is lacking any redeeming qualities I guess.

Regards statistics and data.  As a purist I like to believe that football is played on the pitch, but the value in data is invaluable and would recommend anyone sceptical to look at the work of Dave Brailsford with the British Cycling Team and his 1 Factor.  If you can make 1% improvements across multiple areas it all adds up to give significant results.

I feel for Hurst as he's picked up a product that has made absolutely no efforts at making any gains in the last 20 years.  Whilst Fenty might be on his way out, his legacy of stagnation will be like trying to get rid of a bad smell.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2021, 10:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from moosey_club

Exactly. The League table shows us exactly where we deserve to be so far....and likely to remain on current form for the foreseeable.
Football is played on grass , by people , not algorithims on a computer fed by a statto.

But to me, this show's we are actually creating chances, but we have no natural goalscorer who can finish them!

xG aren't just a waste of time etc, they are actually useful, and show's that we are actually creating stuff, rather than just getting hammered constantly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two - expected goals table

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.