3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
January 11, 2021, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Would have kept Hessenthaler as felt we would do well to get better than him in that protecting role, clearly if he wanted to move back closer to home there's not much you can do about it.

Wasn't bothered about Davis and Whitehouse leaving but we've definitely downgraded on them.  Whitehouse was fairly improved under Holloway and we could use his forward running at the minute.  Might have been limited technically but he was good for a high press and running beyond the front men.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
sam gy
January 11, 2021, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Nutsy

I thought Whitehouse was poor, very underwhelming and didn't really offer much except running about a bit

I don't even disagree. But he'd still walk into this team.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Nutsy
January 11, 2021, 11:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ginnywings

And yet he was signed by a team with more ambition than us. A lot less fans, but more ambition.

They also signed Gavin Gunning after us!

He did well for Lincoln, so I was under the impression he'd add some bit and drive but injury probably affected him.

He doesn't start for FGR very often, and I think if I had the choice to warm our bench or be on more money warming FGR bench I know which I would choose.

There are loads of players who don't perform here but do elsewhere - Jamille Matt for example.

For relevance to this thread, Hessenthaler, though, performed at a solid 7.5 every single game. He did the dirty mopping up that our less mobile midfielders couldn't.

If we had Hessenthaler he would be Hurst's ideal player (similar to Craig Clay-ish).. add in any one of Clifton, Hewitt or Spokes and you have an immediately stronger core than what was on show on Saturday.

Rose shirked every tackle, Clifton (sadly) is limited but works hard, and Hewitt is good but not as mobile as Hess.

Anyway that's what I think!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Mariner_09
January 11, 2021, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Nutsy

He did well for Lincoln, so I was under the impression he'd add some bit and drive but injury probably affected him.

He doesn't start for FGR very often, and I think if I had the choice to warm our bench or be on more money warming FGR bench I know which I would choose.

There are loads of players who don't perform here but do elsewhere - Jamille Matt for example.

For relevance to this thread, Hessenthaler, though, performed at a solid 7.5 every single game. He did the dirty mopping up that our less mobile midfielders couldn't.

If we had Hessenthaler he would be Hurst's ideal player (similar to Craig Clay-ish).. add in any one of Clifton, Hewitt or Spokes and you have an immediately stronger core than what was on show on Saturday.

Rose shirked every tackle, Clifton (sadly) is limited but works hard, and Hewitt is good but not as mobile as Hess.

Hess was about 1000x better than Clay. A hell of a lot more mobile and had a lot more quality on the ball, plus could take decent corners/free kicks. I always thought Clay was overrated. He ran around a lot, kept the shape of the team but was very, very limited. Given what we know about Hurst though, Hess would certainly have been his sort of player.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
arryarryarry
January 11, 2021, 4:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Nutsy

Clay in the main was crap when he played here, Hewitt isn consistent enough in midfield, on Saturday I forgot he was playing.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
January 11, 2021, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hess was about 1000x better than Clay. A hell of a lot more mobile and had a lot more quality on the ball, plus could take decent corners/free kicks. I always thought Clay was overrated. He ran around a lot, kept the shape of the team but was very, very limited. Given what we know about Hurst though, Hess would certainly have been his sort of player.

I thought the reverse - I thought Hess was overrated and Clay underrated!

Hess just got on my nerves in the end with the constant backwards and sideways passing when we could have gone forward. Either would walk into the current side though and be the star performer we are that bad.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 9:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
I think both Hess and Whitehouse are better than our current midfield options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Mighty_Mariner
January 12, 2021, 2:50am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,244
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

2nd lowest budget in the EFL and they can find players that have pace and skill; score goals and actually put in dangerous free kicks. They looked head and shoulders above us.

It's so galling.

I suspect their close proximity to London has a big impact on the type of players they can attract. We just don't have that pull.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
essexexile
January 12, 2021, 5:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I suspect their close proximity to London has a big impact on the type of players they can attract. We just don't have that pull.

Hess’s dad Andy used to play with John Yems, think that’s why he ended up at Crawley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
ginnywings
January 12, 2021, 11:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Yeah, I do realise there are mitigating circumstances.

We should however make ourselves more attractive, and hopefully we now will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hessenthaler

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.