3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
January 9, 2021, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Interesting after match interview today, basically said at least 2 of his players won't play for him again if they excrement out of anymore tackles

It's a good job some of our players aren't playing for him as they would find themselves down the Job Centre.

Green, Bennett and Rose being the main culprits.
Private Message
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2021, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Not particularly expecting much physical out of Bennett but Rose, Green and Williams haveshit out of tackles in the last two games and they can funk off for me.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
arryarryarry
January 9, 2021, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Not particularly expecting much physical out of Bennett but Rose, Green and Williams haveshit out of tackles in the last two games and they can funk off for me.

I should have included Williams.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
LH
January 9, 2021, 11:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Amazed Williams made it to an international tournament squad for any nation (even Wales!). Rose has probably been the biggest disappointment this season. Came highly rated and very experienced but without his moral fibre.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
DB
January 9, 2021, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
According to Findlater in the GT Clifton was on crutches after the game. Anybody know anything about this?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
ginnywings
January 10, 2021, 12:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB
According to Findlater in the GT Clifton was on crutches after the game. Anybody know anything about this?

We can only hope he hurt his foot kicking Green in the bollox.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
toontown
January 10, 2021, 12:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings

LOL!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Hagrid
January 10, 2021, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,522
Gold Stars: 544
Rose is garbage. And i said it months ago. Looks like he doesnt give a damn
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
January 10, 2021, 10:47am
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Rose is garbage. And i said it months ago. Looks like he doesnt give a damn

Lots on the fishy said Scott Kerr was garbage, he left us and did really well at Accrington. A similar player to Rose.
Reply: 8 - 24
Hagrid
January 10, 2021, 10:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,522
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from 28195

Lots on the fishy said Scott Kerr was garbage, he left us and did really well at Accrington. A similar player to Rose.

Scott Brown*

And think him getting drunk up and crashing after JF BBQ had a lot to do with it.

Brown was decent. Rose is not. Another piece of Hollowords dross
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2021, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

Post of the week for me 😂😂😂

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 10, 2021, 11:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
What Bowyer is getting at and what Hurst was getting at in his assessment of The game is that it is a whole team attitude. If one or two are getting the 50/50s then others follow. If they chicken then the others cluck. It’s not about dirty play, it’s about winning play and setting examples.

Hurst does not need lightweight speedy wingers and multi-tasking midfielders, he needs good solid professionals who win the ball and give the easy pass. He needs a Disley or two. I think the days of extolling the virtues of playing out from the back are behind us for now. We need points and the quickest way to get them is to defend tight and release the ball early without being aimless.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
January 10, 2021, 11:06am
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

Scott Brown*

And think him getting drunk up and crashing after JF BBQ had a lot to do with it.

Brown was decent. Rose is not. Another piece of Hollowords dross

That’s the guy, forgot about that incident.
Reply: 12 - 24
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2021, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Steve Richards
In a different set up organised differently playing in the correct position with decent players around them players might look very different. Not all players are big tackling centre midfielders and if you play to their strengths you get the best out of them. Ask Linford Christie to run 1500 metres and see how good he is when we played Williams higher up the pitch we kicked it at head height to him. What is the point? Where does that instruction come from or Is it just lack of ability?

I get what your saying but Williams, Rose and Bennet are possibly the weakest mid field trio I’ve seen, they are good at one thing though and that’s making themselves look busy.

- Rose, can’t keep the ball

- Bennet can pass but he lacks work rate and can’t advance with the ball

- Williams just dances about a bit then gives the ball away.

To add to this when we have a dead ball situation I’ve got more faith in Macca’s delivery.

Any side would have to carry them, our biggest problem is that we currently have 3 of them on the pitch at the same time, there is no surprise that we’re not creating chances.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2021, 11:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
What Bowyer is getting at and what Hurst was getting at in his assessment of The game is that it is a whole team attitude. If one or two are getting the 50/50s then others follow. If they chicken then the others cluck. It’s not about dirty play, it’s about winning play and setting examples.

Hurst does not need lightweight speedy wingers and multi-tasking midfielders, he needs good solid professionals who win the ball and give the easy pass. He needs a Disley or two. I think the days of extolling the virtues of playing out from the back are behind us for now. We need points and the quickest way to get them is to defend tight and release the ball early without being aimless.

I agree re the addition of a Disley and looking at the last few games a Shaun Pearson or two wouldn’t go a miss either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
pontoonlew
January 10, 2021, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I get what your saying but Williams, Rose and Bennet are possibly the weakest mid field trio I’ve seen, they are good at one thing though and that’s making themselves look busy.

- Rose, can’t keep the ball

- Bennet can pass but he lacks work rate and can’t advance with the ball

- Williams just dances about a bit then gives the ball away.

To add to this when we have a dead ball situation I’ve got more faith in Macca’s delivery.

Any side would have to carry them, our biggest problem is that we currently have 3 of them on the pitch at the same time, there is no surprise that we’re not creating chances.

I think Bennett will thrive in a better side. He keeps the ball well but what chance do you have on doing something with it when your option is Matt Green? He had a good game yesterday as well as a good second half last week, I think he’s worth keeping.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2021, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think Bennett will thrive in a better side. He keeps the ball well but what chance do you have on doing something with it when your option is Matt Green? He had a good game yesterday as well as a good second half last week, I think he’s worth keeping.

It’s a fair point but the players like Bennet need lots of movement around them not just from Green but all the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
arryarryarry
January 10, 2021, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I would have expected Bristol Rovers would be a better side than us and many of their fans were over the moon they had got rid.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2021, 2:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Steve Richards

I agree in some of what you say we need stronger defence a central MF and a striker who offers players like Williams and Bennett. Disagree that Williams danced around and gave the ball away I watched very closely yesterday and that wasn’t true plus your bringing him on a a midfield 3 when he has never played in that position he is an attacking Midfielder. Him and Bennett for me are footballers and with the right structure around them would look completely different. They never have been big tacklers they need others to do that job. All just views I guess and good job none of us are the manager!

Bit in bold completely agree, I think it say a lot for the size of Hurst's stones that he's taking this on. I would like to be proved wrong about this trio or at least I hope to be if we're going to get out of this mess.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 10, 2021, 2:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
There are so many posts here saying the same thing, and rightly so, about different players.

These are lads brought in to provide the icing on a cake that was never baked. Which of OH’s signings would you want to build a side around? I’m pretty sure Hurst has already marked a big fat zero in that column.

If any of them are to be kept in the team it can only be as fringe players. Hurst needs a complete spine to the side starting with the keeper.

He may find a decent CB combo pairing but then centre midfield is no use at all. They can all go .........  yesterday. People keep saying so and so may develop but when? We need a fully functioning clogging and passing centre midfield pairing ASAP.

We might get away with Max on one wing, he works hard and if Doig can teach him to tackle properly he might avoid injuries. I might be inclined to use one of the full backs as a wing back though. Needs must.

Up front there is no-one fit to start a game and put the fear of God into defenders. Where does he get someone from? No idea, That’s his job. I might be inclined to look at a Celt or two though. At least they have been playing so should be fairly fit.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
KingstonMariner
January 10, 2021, 6:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Think we need a good yard dog type central midfielder first. Take some pressure off the defence. Add a bit of steel in the centre of the team. Then look at the attacking section after sorting that out.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
headingly_mariner
January 10, 2021, 6:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from DB

He got nailed after about 20 minutes. It’s a shame because he was the only one who went beyond Green all game. I was surprised to see him come off as Hewitt was the midfield passenger this week.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
diehardmariner
January 11, 2021, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He got nailed after about 20 minutes. It’s a shame because he was the only one who went beyond Green all game. I was surprised to see him come off as Hewitt was the midfield passenger this week.

Yeah I noticed Clifton was pushing further forward until he went off.  Hopefully that's on Hurst's instructions as we definitely lack midfielders pushing beyond the front man/picking bits up in that gap between midfield and attack.

Williams, Bennett, Tilley...they're all much about muchness players aren't they?  Tidy and neat on the ball but ultimately don't go anywhere with it.  In a good side that's on fire you could probably use a few of those luxuries and I imagine they would be effective.  But we're not a good side.  Whilst I agree with Hurst about the 11 dogs, we still need everyone to be putting their bodies on the line.  One thing we can't afford is people bottling challenges.

Was encouraged by the signing of Rose and his first few performances, but progressively he's got worse.  He seems to have mastered the art of getting on the ball but not actually benefiting the play with it.  Almost to the point that he's a point in between A and B that's not needed, watch the amount of times he takes the ball off the defender to make a simple pass to the full-back, when really Pollock/Waterfall could have made that pass easily themselves.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 11, 2021, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
According to the GT Clifton did his ankle himself early on. Big doubt for Saturday.

Also Tilly was not injured. Make of that what you will but it seems loan time beckons for the lad.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
January 11, 2021, 11:19am
Guest User
I wondered about Rose from the second he asked for a list of good vegan restaurants in Grimsby. I suspect he quickly realised it was a bad fit.
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Bowyer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.