Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Seven
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Seven

This thread currently has 8,162 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
January 7, 2021, 9:17am
Guest User
Ron Cockerill, Basil Rathbone Curtis Woodhouse, Jimmy Thompson and Scott McGarvey who'd fight the corner flag.
Reply: 30 - 43
golfer
January 7, 2021, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
We give enough free kicks away without this lot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
diehardmariner
January 7, 2021, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Another consideration in this is how well does the crop of players know each other?  Holloway moaned and moaned about having to hold 3 separate meetings to get his points across and with training in groups.  God knows how many new faces came into the building over the summer so it could be that they've barely bonded with each other yet.

The infamous Paul Peschisolido red card on Peter Handyside, that sparked a host of Town players storming in.  Some not players you would associate as hard men but guys who could handle themselves.  Groves, Gallimore, Burnett...I posted on another thread yesterday about that squad so don't want to sound like a broken record but it really is the benchmark in my lifetime of what we need and should want to aspire to.

That squad had a unity and quite clearly looked after each other.  Even though it was a team that had been relegated the previous summer, there was a handful of changes.  3 or 4 coming in the door with a similar number heading out, then a couple of tweaks during the season.  This season we've seen wholesale changes.  Impossible to expect those lads to have any sort of togetherness at the minute.  

One of Hurst's best attributes is building a strong dressing room, hell of a challenge even for him to build that here with the current restrictions and in the middle of a campaign.  Can completely understand him culling the squad and splitting those that are here into two groups.  Siege mentality.  I don't think we'll see much squad rotation going on.  It'll be a core group to help enforce that 'us against them' approach.  

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2021, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Another consideration in this is how well does the crop of players know each other?  Holloway moaned and moaned about having to hold 3 separate meetings to get his points across and with training in groups.  God knows how many new faces came into the building over the summer so it could be that they've barely bonded with each other yet.

The infamous Paul Peschisolido red card on Peter Handyside, that sparked a host of Town players storming in.  Some not players you would associate as hard men but guys who could handle themselves.  Groves, Gallimore, Burnett...I posted on another thread yesterday about that squad so don't want to sound like a broken record but it really is the benchmark in my lifetime of what we need and should want to aspire to.

That squad had a unity and quite clearly looked after each other.  Even though it was a team that had been relegated the previous summer, there was a handful of changes.  3 or 4 coming in the door with a similar number heading out, then a couple of tweaks during the season.  This season we've seen wholesale changes.  Impossible to expect those lads to have any sort of togetherness at the minute.  

One of Hurst's best attributes is building a strong dressing room, hell of a challenge even for him to build that here with the current restrictions and in the middle of a campaign.  Can completely understand him culling the squad and splitting those that are here into two groups.  Siege mentality.  I don't think we'll see much squad rotation going on.  It'll be a core group to help enforce that 'us against them' approach.  

3 separate meetings but he could get the whole squad together to watch a film. Really baffled me that and wish the media probed him on it at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
ginnywings
January 7, 2021, 11:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Was the film Escape to Victory?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
male private Nale
January 7, 2021, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

See, what you've done there Mr Nale (Or can I call you male private?), is been so succinct that you've failed to properly construct your sentence. An 'if' statement requires an outcome, y'know, as in "if you do this, then this will happen". We're missing that last bit, so you've got me on tenterhooks.

If you'd like to book in some lessons on proper English grammar, the merits of both long-form and short-form prose, how to make friends and influence people or anything else you'd like to help you integrate with wider society, give me a shout. I'm not going out much at the moment.

Stay safe. x

Ouch , oh to be a wordsmith, even your putdowns are long winded, I tailed off before the end but I got the gist, you did well at English.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Posh Harry
January 7, 2021, 1:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Bigdog
Aidan Davison

Clive Wiggington
Andy Todd
Rob Jones

Brian Laws
George Santos
Ashley Sestanovich
Micky Speight
Bobby Cumming

Steve Livingstone
Tony Rees

Imagine standing in the tunnel trying to face down this GTFC XI..

I would swap Davison for Nigel Batch. Apparently had a good punch on him, especially when he finds out you having been messing around with his wife 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Poojah
January 7, 2021, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from male private Nale

Ouch , oh to be a wordsmith, even your putdowns are long winded, I tailed off before the end but I got the gist, you did well at English.  

Come on now, that's not very friendly, is it? Look, you don't need to like what people write or how they write it, but getting wound up and snarky about it on an internet messageboard isn't a great look.

These are rubbish times, both to be a town fan and in general. I'm as down and as fed up as anyone, but I try to stay chipper for my family as much as anything.

I'm going to leave it there now; I suggest you do the same. Take care of yourself and with a bit of luck we'll all be able to get back to taking out our frustrations on football league lino's in the not too distant future.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
FishOutOfWater
January 7, 2021, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
Jackie Charlton
Norman Hunter
Stuart Pearce
Vinny Jones
Chopper Harris
Dave Mackay
and believe it not Chris Kamara
Might be funny on sky but a bit hot headed in his playing days.
Sent off 10 times  

You're right Pete

I can remember Luton fans giving Kamara some stick ( on the day we won 4-1 there with a Groves hat-trick ) and he bit

He was ready to get in the crowd and give as good as he was getting verbally and it nearly kicked off physically

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 43
male private Nale
January 7, 2021, 3:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

Come on now, that's not very friendly, is it? Look, you don't need to like what people write or how they write it, but getting wound up and snarky about it on an internet messageboard isn't a great look.

These are rubbish times, both to be a town fan and in general. I'm as down and as fed up as anyone, but I try to stay chipper for my family as much as anything.

I'm going to leave it there now; I suggest you do the same. Take care of yourself and with a bit of luck we'll all be able to get back to taking out our frustrations on football league lino's in the not too distant future.

Fair play , it was just tongue in cheek to be honest, was doing a bit of fishing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Seven

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.