4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
January 4, 2021, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Has written an article about the recent events at Grimsby Town!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....2#Echobox=1609707603

I'm not subscribed to the times, if anybody here is subscribed would you mind copying and pasting into this thread please so others can enjoy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner tommy
January 4, 2021, 9:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Davec

I'm not subscribed to the times, if anybody here is subscribed would you mind copying and pasting into this thread please so others can enjoy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....yJjlnoZGJYRPkJg8N4X0

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Tinymariner
January 4, 2021, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
This may save people having to click on the link.

New year, new era? That, at least, is the fervent hope among the Grimsby Town faithful after a denouement to 2020 that left many wondering what on earth was happening to their beloved club. Politics, scandal, a takeover saga, ultimatums, claims and counterclaims — it has been quite a few weeks for the 142-year-old club.
And in the end it was all too much for Ian Holloway, the manager, who swept in on a wave of optimism 12 months ago but resigned two days before Christmas after complaints about boardroom politics.
In truth, Grimsby’s perilous position near the foot of Sky Bet League Two probably played its part in Holloway’s decision but, in any case, it now falls to Paul Hurst, who led Grimsby back into the Football League in 2016 and returned to Blundell Park last week, to avert relegation.
The 2-1 home defeat by Cambridge United on Saturday — Grimsby’s seventh in their past ten games — caused the club to drop into the bottom two and showed that Hurst, 46, has quite a job on his hands — but, despite it all, his return adds to a renewed sense of hope.
Last week, the club’s majority shareholder, John Fenty, after repeatedly shifting the goalposts, finally agreed terms for the sale of the club to a consortium of three businessmen, Tom Shutes, Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit.
Fenty had faced mounting pressure from fans to sell the club after his business dealings with Alex May, a convicted fraudster, emerged last month, leading to his resignation as deputy leader of North East Lincolnshire council.
May, formerly known as Alick Kapikanya, was sentenced in 2014 to six years in prison for his part in a £3.5 million mortgage fraud that targeted elderly homeowners in Manchester. May had been invited to attend several games at Blundell Park and offered to invest £1 million in the club, which Grimsby say was refused after a wave of opprobrium.

Fenty, who was the council’s cabinet member for regeneration, skills and housing before his resignation, had set up a property development company with May, Town Centre Living, which he failed to update on his official register of interests. May had also been introduced to other councillors to discuss regeneration projects.
All of which is acutely connected to the club because the future of Grimsby is tightly interwoven with the town’s regeneration plans. There are hopes that a new community stadium — in the town centre or at the derelict docks, both of which are earmarked for investment — will be at the heart of redevelopment. Apart from the political winds of change felt in this part of the country, and the investment that is expected to follow, the growth of the offshore wind industry and the multimillion-pound Greater Grimsby Town Deal, which promises to revive swathes of abandoned industrial areas, all point to a changing landscape.
Shutes, who leads the consortium seeking to buy the club, is also a member of the board steering the Greater Grimsby Town Deal. He is a London-based property developer and philanthropist whose grandfather was involved in Grimsby’s fishing industry, but the other two consortium members are Grimsby born and bred.
Stockwood, who grew up on a Grimsby council estate, is vice-chairman of the insurance broker Simply Business and previously held management roles at Match.com, the dating website, and lastminute.com, the travel website. He is author of Reboot: A Blueprint for Happy, Human Business in the Digital Age.
Pettit, whose family owned a butcher’s shop in the town, is a founding partner of Revcap, a private equity property business, and formerly worked for Lehman Brothers, the global financial services company, and Clifford Chance, the law firm. At the heart of their takeover bid, it seems, is a desire to extend the club’s influence in the community.
So Grimsby are at a crossroads. Where Holloway is concerned, meanwhile, rarely has a manager promised so much and delivered so little. A year ago, Fenty wooed the former Blackpool manager over fish and chips in Papa’s, a restaurant on Cleethorpes pier. Holloway was prepared to buy £100,000 worth of shares, was handed a seat on the board and moved to the area. His appointment was part of the same vision to make Grimsby great again.
Without the arrival of Covid-19, and other off-field distractions, things might have been different. Holloway, though, walked away having signed 16 players in the summer, most of whom are simply not good enough, and rather than build a team to make people “proud”, he left them with a 30-man squad in desperate need of overhaul.
On Saturday goals from Adam May and Paul Mullin gave Cambridge a 2-0 half-time lead. Elliott Hewitt halved the deficit with 18 minutes to play and there was plenty of effort to find an equaliser, but Hurst knows that a chronic dearth of creativity and goals must be addressed in this month’s transfer window.
“You can put a dog on the pitch and it will run around,” Hurst said, “but you won’t do very well with 11 dogs.”
Hurst, who has managed Shrewsbury Town, Ipswich Town and Scunthorpe United since his first spell at Blundell Park, knows about the potential waiting to be realised. “This club is a massive part of the town, and the area,” he said. “For the size of the club, you’d struggle to find a more passionate group of fans.
“Little things stick in my mind from being here before: when a new shirt is on sale they’re queueing down the street. And you saw, at Wembley [in the National League play-off final in 2016], the number of fans who travelled down, the passion that’s there.
“So it could be a very different football club moving forward. A new era. But my job is trying to get things right on the pitch, improve the playing squad, because whatever happens I want it to be a club that’s in the Football League. We’re in the bottom two. Relegation is the last thing I’d want — whether I was here, or sitting on my sofa at home — having been part of the hard work it took to get us back in the League. We must do everything possible to make sure we stay here.”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2021, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Tinymariner
This may save people having to click on the link.

New year, new era? That, at least, is the fervent hope among the Grimsby Town faithful after a denouement to 2020 that left many wondering what on earth was happening to their beloved club. Politics, scandal, a takeover saga, ultimatums, claims and counterclaims — it has been quite a few weeks for the 142-year-old club.
And in the end it was all too much for Ian Holloway, the manager, who swept in on a wave of optimism 12 months ago but resigned two days before Christmas after complaints about boardroom politics.
In truth, Grimsby’s perilous position near the foot of Sky Bet League Two probably played its part in Holloway’s decision but, in any case, it now falls to Paul Hurst, who led Grimsby back into the Football League in 2016 and returned to Blundell Park last week, to avert relegation.
The 2-1 home defeat by Cambridge United on Saturday — Grimsby’s seventh in their past ten games — caused the club to drop into the bottom two and showed that Hurst, 46, has quite a job on his hands — but, despite it all, his return adds to a renewed sense of hope.
Last week, the club’s majority shareholder, John Fenty, after repeatedly shifting the goalposts, finally agreed terms for the sale of the club to a consortium of three businessmen, Tom Shutes, Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit.
Fenty had faced mounting pressure from fans to sell the club after his business dealings with Alex May, a convicted fraudster, emerged last month, leading to his resignation as deputy leader of North East Lincolnshire council.
May, formerly known as Alick Kapikanya, was sentenced in 2014 to six years in prison for his part in a £3.5 million mortgage fraud that targeted elderly homeowners in Manchester. May had been invited to attend several games at Blundell Park and offered to invest £1 million in the club, which Grimsby say was refused after a wave of opprobrium.

Fenty, who was the council’s cabinet member for regeneration, skills and housing before his resignation, had set up a property development company with May, Town Centre Living, which he failed to update on his official register of interests. May had also been introduced to other councillors to discuss regeneration projects.
All of which is acutely connected to the club because the future of Grimsby is tightly interwoven with the town’s regeneration plans. There are hopes that a new community stadium — in the town centre or at the derelict docks, both of which are earmarked for investment — will be at the heart of redevelopment. Apart from the political winds of change felt in this part of the country, and the investment that is expected to follow, the growth of the offshore wind industry and the multimillion-pound Greater Grimsby Town Deal, which promises to revive swathes of abandoned industrial areas, all point to a changing landscape.
Shutes, who leads the consortium seeking to buy the club, is also a member of the board steering the Greater Grimsby Town Deal. He is a London-based property developer and philanthropist whose grandfather was involved in Grimsby’s fishing industry, but the other two consortium members are Grimsby born and bred.
Stockwood, who grew up on a Grimsby council estate, is vice-chairman of the insurance broker Simply Business and previously held management roles at Match.com, the dating website, and lastminute.com, the travel website. He is author of Reboot: A Blueprint for Happy, Human Business in the Digital Age.
Pettit, whose family owned a butcher’s shop in the town, is a founding partner of Revcap, a private equity property business, and formerly worked for Lehman Brothers, the global financial services company, and Clifford Chance, the law firm. At the heart of their takeover bid, it seems, is a desire to extend the club’s influence in the community.
So Grimsby are at a crossroads. Where Holloway is concerned, meanwhile, rarely has a manager promised so much and delivered so little. A year ago, Fenty wooed the former Blackpool manager over fish and chips in Papa’s, a restaurant on Cleethorpes pier. Holloway was prepared to buy £100,000 worth of shares, was handed a seat on the board and moved to the area. His appointment was part of the same vision to make Grimsby great again.
Without the arrival of Covid-19, and other off-field distractions, things might have been different. Holloway, though, walked away having signed 16 players in the summer, most of whom are simply not good enough, and rather than build a team to make people “proud”, he left them with a 30-man squad in desperate need of overhaul.
On Saturday goals from Adam May and Paul Mullin gave Cambridge a 2-0 half-time lead. Elliott Hewitt halved the deficit with 18 minutes to play and there was plenty of effort to find an equaliser, but Hurst knows that a chronic dearth of creativity and goals must be addressed in this month’s transfer window.
“You can put a dog on the pitch and it will run around,” Hurst said, “but you won’t do very well with 11 dogs.”
Hurst, who has managed Shrewsbury Town, Ipswich Town and Scunthorpe United since his first spell at Blundell Park, knows about the potential waiting to be realised. “This club is a massive part of the town, and the area,” he said. “For the size of the club, you’d struggle to find a more passionate group of fans.
“Little things stick in my mind from being here before: when a new shirt is on sale they’re queueing down the street. And you saw, at Wembley [in the National League play-off final in 2016], the number of fans who travelled down, the passion that’s there.
“So it could be a very different football club moving forward. A new era. But my job is trying to get things right on the pitch, improve the playing squad, because whatever happens I want it to be a club that’s in the Football League. We’re in the bottom two. Relegation is the last thing I’d want — whether I was here, or sitting on my sofa at home — having been part of the hard work it took to get us back in the League. We must do everything possible to make sure we stay here.”

I don't know about other posters but I am still trying to get my head round the Holloway situation.

Yes his managerial record was mixed, but we know ourselves how boardroom antics can play a huge part and all of his successes were at a higher level so that held weight. The idea that he was to move here, invest in the club and spoke of leaving a legacy would sway most Town fans to say wow, at last we have a new and exciting future to look forward to.

I could not understand the love in for Fenty, but I told myself he was just being considerate and would perhaps look to others to buy Fenty out in future years as the revolution got underway.

Yet here we are a year on, 23rd in division 4.

Amazingly though, the Holloway / May / Fenty saga has set off a chain of events that actually WILL bring about change, and change far greater that we could have imagined a year ago!

As Mrs LCL says, there is always a reason for everything although we cannot see it at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Cambridgefish
January 4, 2021, 10:40am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Davec

Bought the paper today for the first time in ages. £2.20! Can't imagine I'll be buying another one anytime soon.
Very surprised to see we have a big write up - fairly well balanced I thought.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2021, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
But Ian Runaway went on Soccer AM and gave a "very honest" talk that mentions hardly any of that.

Probably the best article on our current situation as you would expect from Gregor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
oochiad
January 4, 2021, 10:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Another one sticking it to Fenty, very well written I'd say and on point. UTM!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
KingstonMariner
January 4, 2021, 10:54am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Cheers Tiny.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
Gaffer58
January 4, 2021, 10:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Cambridgefish

Bought the paper today for the first time in ages. £2.20! Can't imagine I'll be buying another one anytime soon.
Very surprised to see we have a big write up - fairly well balanced I thought.

If I’d paid £2.20 for a newspaper then I’d be recycling it in the toilet, even Andrex is not that expensive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
friskneymariner
January 4, 2021, 11:09am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I'll be the first to say it ,it looks kike Alix May did us a massive favour.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gregor Robertson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.