4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
January 1, 2021, 6:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
I don't agree that the Cambridge game is make or break. it's too soon after the chaos king quit to turn the team around.  Hurst is basically stuck with the current squad minus the two loanees that were recalled, including edwards who would most probably have started.

Any points we pick up in the  next two games are welcome, but it's really the four games starting 16th Jan that are key. All six pointers. It's tight, but we may have some reinforcements brought in by then. Maybe Wright and Scannel will be back too.  

Lose those 4 and we are in deep deep do-do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
ginnywings
January 1, 2021, 6:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
If it was the last game of the season and we needed a win to stay up, it could be classed as a massive game.

I'm desperate for us to get 3 points tomorrow, but if we don't, it's not the end of the world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
RonMariner
January 1, 2021, 6:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings
If it was the last game of the season and we needed a win to stay up, it could be classed as a massive game.

I'm desperate for us to get 3 points tomorrow, but if we don't, it's not the end of the world.

I would settle for a draw to be honest. Same at Port Vale.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
ginnywings
January 1, 2021, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner

I would settle for a draw to be honest. Same at Port Vale.

People tend to focus on their own team, forgetting that other struggling sides have tough games too. They are not all going to suddenly start winning games and they have to play against each other also.

Lot's to play for and plenty of twists and turns to come. We'll have good weeks and bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Les Brechin
January 1, 2021, 6:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Yoda
my argument is if your in the bottom 2 in January with other teams having games in n hand on you.
You will struggle to attract players.

Also you have the London effect a lot of good clubs in London looking to loan players if you where a young player on London would you go to Grimsby or a southern based club.

Phil Neville talks about this the southern dominance of the premier league.

Current Top 5 in The Premier League

Liverpool,
Man Utd,
Everton,
Leicester City,
Aston Villa.

Got to say that I'm struggling to find the southern dominance in there.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 1, 2021, 7:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Seeing as the PL is moving inexorably towards more foreign bodies in the squads and the disease is spreading down the pyramid it hardly matters where they are. I was impressed by the traditional Lancashire names in the Oldham side the other day for instance.

If the money is right, mercenaries will come and in the end, that is all a professional footballer is.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
Gaffer58
January 1, 2021, 7:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Are we at the stage where in tomorrow’s scunny v Stevenage game, and this really hurts to say this, are we after a scunny win, now I’ll go was my mouth out with caustic soda.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Heisenberg
January 1, 2021, 7:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Gaffer58
Are we at the stage where in tomorrow’s scunny v Stevenage game, and this really hurts to say this, are we after a scunny win, now I’ll go was my mouth out with caustic soda.

Absolutely. I wanted them to beat Southend too, but they failed.

I don’t think Scunny will go down, so I want to see them take points from all our relegation rivals. What an awful situation!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
KingstonMariner
January 1, 2021, 8:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from smokey111

I do agree with your point regarding proximity to major cities, many players do tend to move around within a 100 mile radius at our level.

I think the disruption to the schooling of children is unlikely to be an issue in the vast majority of cases. Footballers appear to settle down and have kids later, so by the time their children are in education they are in the early to mid thirties (spot ball for us if you throw in a track record of recent injuries!!!).

Footballers tend to settle down and marry younger. They even tend to look older than their years. Accelerated living due to having relatively high income at a young age?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
Poojah
January 1, 2021, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,892
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Footballers tend to settle down and marry younger. They even tend to look older than their years. Accelerated living due to having relatively high income at a young age?

It’s an odd one that I’ve never understood. If you’re a young athlete with a bit of cash (at least relative to age) then it’s basically a license to shàg what you want. And good luck to you.

Why so many choose to ‘settle down’ and have kids at a young age, only to be exposed by a tabloid newspaper for being unfaithful, I don’t quite get.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Massive game at Cambridge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.