Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should the trust be disbanded.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 260 Guests

Should the trust be disbanded.?

This thread currently has 9,602 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2020, 3:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Helgy

Question is do they have any real power on the board don't think any trust does unless they actually own the club.
Giving away their shares was not a good option , they should have used the money they raise to buy more shares in the club so then are regularly putting in money & getting more influence money talks.
When fans raise the money exchange it for shares instead of just handing it over?

Agree in hindsight Helgy and under this regime I’d argue they have very little say at board level, then again I doubt they’re alone in that looking at the historic behaviour and attitude of our major shareholder, the chairman and an accountant who tells people to “shut up” when he can’t deal with an alternative opinion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
ginnywings
December 28, 2020, 4:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It's like the night of the long knives on here. What next, book burning?

As someone round these parts says, " don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
arryarryarry
December 28, 2020, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Marinerz93

The trust had no option at the time but to give those shares up, go back to that timeline and read what was said at the time by Fenty if it didn't happen.

Wasn't it something to do with the possible sale of Liam Hearn?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
grimsbybrown
December 28, 2020, 4:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Marinerz93

The trust had no option at the time but to give those shares up, go back to that timeline and read what was said at the time by Fenty if it didn't happen.

However painful it is at the time, it is always always best to call the bluff of bullies.

The long term affects of unbalanced relationships / uneven power dynamics are inevitably worse.

The trust have a significant role and can still influence whatever now happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
Marinerz93
December 28, 2020, 4:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yes, an ultimatum if I remember rightly coupled with I won't be putting any more money in the club just to strengthen the threat.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
Ipswin
December 28, 2020, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from arryarryarry

Pure brinksmanship from Fenty just like we saw on Christmas Eve when he announced the deal was off and just like the Christmas Eve threat (Shutes came back) the Hearn threat worked and the Trust stupidly fell for it.  

Threatening to sell Hearn was one thing, its not like the days when Matt Tees and Rod Green were told to 'report to the Valley on Monday', he could have said no.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
tarka
December 28, 2020, 4:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from GrimExile
I would to love to know how many of those who criticise the Trust are actually members. Plus someone has suggested the Trust (and I quote), is “An organisation that holds the Club to account on behalf of the fans.” Really? Surely the Trust answers to its members. Finally I don’t know Dave Roberts at all well, but he is in my opinion one of the most honest and well meaning of men who’s interest is to do the best for the Trust and GTFC. I am 100% sure he would never use his position to obtain free tickets, perks etc. #UTM

Agreed Emma...Dave is a good man who holds the respect of those who have worked with him. It's just so sad that people like him have been dragged into this.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
Marinerz93
December 28, 2020, 4:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Ipswin

Pure brinksmanship from Fenty just like we saw on Christmas Eve when he announced the deal was off and just like the Christmas Eve threat (Shutes came back) the Hearn threat worked and the Trust stupidly fell for it.  

Threatening to sell Hearn was one thing, its not like the days when Matt Tees and Rod Green were told to 'report to the Valley on Monday', he could have said no.

I don't think the trust were stupid when faced with the ultimatum they got, they did it to protect the club as best they could. They were placed in a situation and all that ultimatum did was put in plain sight what we were being told by others about dealings with how Fenty works.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
Ipswin
December 28, 2020, 4:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
My main problem with the Trust is that apart from pulling pints in a bar they haven't actually achieved anything in any area of GTFC.

They certainly haven't influenced decisions on how the club is run through their presence in the board room, it is (was) a token gesture only with no power or weight and therefore the membership gained nothing,.(not even a membership card in Pete's case) The trust is totally toothless

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
barralad
December 28, 2020, 5:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Ipswin

Knowing you Swin I feel sure you are incorporating the Trust membership in your general umbrella of "The Trust". If not it is time for my periodic reminder to the contributors to this rather disappointing thread that the fate of the shares was put to the membership and the members at the time decided overwhelmingly to give up the shares. From memory the result was overwhelming with support "for" being over 80%. It's called democracy and it is completely irrelevant that the Trust had a far smaller number of members then than at any time since.
The donation to the Trust of the shares came completely out of the blue. I was rung at 11 p.m. at night by the then secretary to receive the news.
If all of those who repeatedly line up on here to criticise that aspect of the Trust had all joined perhaps the result would have been different.
People are of course entitled to their opinions but it is my experience that opinions are easiest to come to when in possession of a few facts.
The accusation that the two members of the Trust Board who are on the Board of GTFC would seek to benefit from freebies is a strange one. The notion that two fans of the club would give up their normal match day traditions antagonising the members they represent in the process is beyond parody.
As Ginny says it amounts to open season on here at the moment. If I had a pound for every thread of a similar vein that Yoda starts I'd offer to join Shute's consortium.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should the trust be disbanded.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.