Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Would you be happy with Hurst back in charge?
Yes
No
  View Results 337 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst

This thread currently has 44,202 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
December 30, 2020, 9:59am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Humbercod
Surely his first priority will be a strength and conditioning coach?

Is urine myself if he announced that at his first press conference.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 305
mariner91
December 30, 2020, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Ipswin

Can't argue with those percentages although most of Hurst's were in non-league

I just hope no one is going to start moaning about the style of football Hurst is churning out and how unattractive and totally lacking in entertainment it is, you can'y have it both ways

Yes they were mostly in non-league(but just over half of Woods' were too). But you only have to look at the accounts from each season to see that the budget reflected the league we were in, it went up substantially in the first season back in the league and we were doing fairly well under him. I'm not sure we'd have made the play offs but we'd have been there or thereabouts.

As for the style, anything is better than Holloway's knocking it aimlessly around our own defensive third before the inevitable fcuk up gifting the opposition a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 305
lew chaterleys lover
December 30, 2020, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,786
Gold Stars: 237
Well its no good asking me about managers as I have agreed with the appointment of each one, except Graham Rodger and more importantly Woods.

However, as I have said many times over the years have you noticed that every manager comes in wide-eyed, full of optimism and hope with great plans, and then just a few months in you can see them accept the reality that the club was not geared up in any way shape or form for success? The deadweight that was Fenty soon had a negative impact.

Well done Hurst for the one to stick it out longest, and he was the one under the most pressure.

At this precise moment we need a Hurst type manager. I am sure the Consortium will feel it is a safe choice as their first appointment and of course the very first thing on their agenda is to get us safe. If they have a competitive(!) budget ready to go that will be great.

The future is for another time, but first things first. Watching last nights match, the team needs an urgent overhaul as some players are just going through the motions so we cannot waste any more time on those so we need experienced pros who can come in and perform straight away, and I am sure if he has the money to attract them Hurst will be able to bring them in.
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 305
aldi_01
December 30, 2020, 10:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Is urine myself if he announced that at his first press conference.

I hope he trolls the intercourse out of the club...”I couldn’t pass up the chance to work at GTFC again, the new owners are computer literate and they’ve provided me with a strength and conditioning coach; it may not win us games but I really want one...”

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 305
Rodley Mariner
December 30, 2020, 10:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Ipswin

It didn't actually (that was the Shop the previous year) The first goal against FGR (I refuse to call it Bogle's - it was an own goal) was a header from Bogle that was going across the 6 yard box not even in the direction of the goal and it hit the FGR bloke and changed direction into the net

You've gone on about this before. It was clearly an own goal but who honestly gives a flying intercourse?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 305
aldi_01
December 30, 2020, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

You've gone on about this before. It was clearly an own goal but who honestly gives a flying intercourse?

A bit like moaning that Nolan didn’t put the ball in the corner and played in Hoburn...

Don’t hear many Man Utd fans talk about Bayern absolutely playing them off off the park in 1999...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 305
realist
December 30, 2020, 10:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
There is a reason he is available, he is utter shite and no one else wants him. Why should we employ unwanted shite?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 305
December 30, 2020, 10:22am
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’ll start this by saying I want Hurst, but posts like this seek to dumb down supporters who have a point on Hurst. It’s a false narrative to suggest it was all off the pitch as to why people don’t want Hurst.

During his time with us and after it, Hurst has been beaten in almost every single final he’s ever taken part in, his time with us was mixed with decent results and appalling ones. He’s then gone on to Shrewsbury where he’s done well (whilst mucking it up after Jan which I’ll come onto) then 2 absolute car crashes at Ipswich and Scunny. He was minutes away from losing his job with us as well after Braintree away.

I always hear how good Hurst was at spotting players, but for every Amond there was 3 Hobans, let’s not forget the complete shite we signed and a lot of that came in January. We’re also forgetting that he regularly broke up the Amond and Bogle partnership during the season despite them flying. Almost every season with Hurst we regressed in January, we shut up shop and didn’t press to win the league when twice we had the chance. The season where we went up, we almost dropped out of the play offs completely, it was absolutely dreadful post January. This pattern continued at Shrewsbury he did amazingly well to get them there then made the same mistake again and they lost in the playoffs (again).

I’m still utterly convinced we were an Andy Monkhouse injury from not going up and Hurst losing his job, something that nobody would’ve had any complaints about.

I want Hurst, I think he’ll steady a ship but let’s not pretend his time here was amazing and all those who say otherwise are only saying it because ‘he cupped his ear’.

Excellent post.

2 months ago I'd have been dead set against Hurst returning. I could just about forgive the overly defensive approach to home matches, boring interviews and
the Parslow subs - but letting Amond go was still an open wound.

Having read Podge's account of his departure, I think I've been unfair to PH on this one. It seems the greater blame may be laid at the door of the tight-fistedness
of you know who.

I have little doubt that Hurst can do the job that needs doing at GTFC.
"You don't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need." Mick Jagger wrote that - so it must be true!  

So it's a nod from me, despite the reservations mentioned earlier.

I agree with you about the Monkhouse injury - I remember thinking precisely that at the time.

As for people getting upset at the ear-cupping...I think they're being a bit 'precious' tbh.

Reply: 277 - 305
Fillipe Noche
December 30, 2020, 10:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Please note that Grimsby Town Football Club already has a strength and conditioning coach called Greg Howard

The best one Holloway has ever worked with apparently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 305
Jarmo.Is.God
December 30, 2020, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from aldi_01

A bit like moaning that Nolan didn’t put the ball in the corner and played in Hoburn...

Don’t hear many Man Utd fans talk about Bayern absolutely playing them off off the park in 1999...

Nolan was some player...

Remember Lincoln fans laughing saying he clearly not good enough for them when we signed him....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 305
31 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.