Posh Harry
December 21, 2020, 8:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The most anti-football style of any manager I’ve ever seen at Town. Ultra negative style of play.

I’m not convinced it was a massive success in keeping us up that first season, we only got closer to the drop after he joined.

Also a nonce.

That last line is bang out of order. I would expect it from  Lincoln scum or a scunt, but not from a town fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
headingly_mariner
December 21, 2020, 8:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Posh Harry

That last line is bang out of order. I would expect it from  Lincoln scum or a scunt, but not from a town fan.

That’s as maybe but it is an indisputable fact that he’s a convicted sex offender. Regardless of the detail behind it.

Probably not as important here as the fact that he was an utterly shite manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
AdamHaddock
December 21, 2020, 9:10pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
A youth coach who talks a good game

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
mariner91
December 21, 2020, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
I was genuinely really excited about him after that Notts County game. Not only did we stay up but in that game we played some really decent stuff with a squad that didn't have much going for it and he hadn't put it together nor had long with it. I thought we might have stumbled on to someone who knew how to make a system around the players he had available at his disposal.

It all started to go south when we then spent all summer training for and practing to play with wing backs in pre-season games. Sounds great on paper but he'd not actually bothered to sign a single player capable of playing as a wing back. Cue a poor start to the season and from then we played really boring, defensive football. I can't remember how long it had been since we'd scored a goal when he eventually left but we were pretty terrible.

Good luck to him if he finds another club and thanks for keeping us up but ultimately don't think he has what it takes to make it professionally as a manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
heppy88
December 21, 2020, 10:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
On a personal note he took time out from a training session to have a photo taken with my Foster daughter who was chair bound at the time.
I remember being taken up by the wave of optimism after his appointment, but left feeling let down in the end. The football was dire to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
arryarryarry
December 21, 2020, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid
Supposedly Arrogant and disliked. Personally found him very approachable. And did a very good job keeping us up. Wish him well

Speaking to a member of staff at the time he said he did come over as arrogant and wasn't well liked with at least some of the non playing staff.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
arryarryarry
December 21, 2020, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
I don't know why Jamille Matt left the club, presumably we didn't offer him a deal but I assume neither Slade or Jolley played him right and didn't realise how good he was as he went on to score 20 goals in 76 games for Newport and now 9 in 19 for FGR.

What we would give for a player like that now?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
toontown
December 21, 2020, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Did an amazing job to turn that side around and stop us being relegated. Identified weak points and corrected them, identified the odd strength and helped play to it.

As soon as he had his own team massively over complicated things and went ultra defensive when IN possesion! Bizarre. Also over paid considerably for some players (green, ogbu, ohman, and in hindsight hansen). Dire football. Definitely struggled badly with the pressure (hence the social media stuff and outburst that led to thesack).

But as others have said, just maybe our excrement board held him back in some ways, but i would be surprised if he gets another chance at league level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
Maringer
December 21, 2020, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Not the first manager to bodge together a run of results with a limited squad but then fail to build on the squad when given a close season to do so. Won't be the last, either, from what we've seen over the past couple of decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
Eastendmariner
December 22, 2020, 12:32am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Fondly did the biz 10 games left going down kept us up against all the odds  so respect. UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.