Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly needs to raise his game.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 285 Guests

Olly needs to raise his game.

This thread currently has 4,340 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
December 16, 2020, 5:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Olly arrived with great fanfare and all the fans welcomed him with open arms, but i’m afraid to say he has been disappointing to say the least.
I would give him another 6 games to try to turn things around if not i fear he has to go.
I know it’s not all his fault with fenty doing his best to relegate us but he has to shoulder some blame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
December 16, 2020, 5:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
The transfer window will decide what happens.

Mess it up and he will walk.

Get it right and up the table we will go.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
geir
December 16, 2020, 5:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
We were all very pleased when he arrived, and he was on to something very good until last season were cancelled. Then he lost a lot of players due to the Covid-clause and he may as well have had other restrictions that made it difficult for him. No football managers can work wonders out of nothing. I would have liked to see some of those Premiership managers managing on a tight League Two budget. I guess it wouldn`t go all too well.
Give him the window on the promise from Day that he will be allowed more room to handle his business, and then, as Grimsby Pete says: "Mess it up and he will walk. Get it right and up the table we go".

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
moosey_club
December 16, 2020, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Its interesting to see him admitting he has made some horrendous mistakes ...possibly ...

not running over that black cat
coming in the first place,
investing
saying we are the best run club,
buying cheap and plenty
rotating too much

guess we will find out in his next book  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Poojah
December 16, 2020, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
I said before Colchester that we had had a particularly difficult start to the season, with two tricky games coming up against the U's and Newport, followed by six consecutive games against five sides then in the bottom 6 plus Morecambe. I felt at the time we should withhold judgement until then.

Colchester and Newport may have been free hits, but we took nothing from those games and have subsequently gone on to take 1 point from 6 from Mansfield and Colchester. Scunny on Saturday now looks a tricky fixture, Bradford will have a new manager and Morecambe are in form.

By heading into this run of games in such abysmal form, we really haven't made life easy for ourselves. From the current vantage point, it's difficult to see us picking up another win this year. If we don't, it's difficult to see Ollie making his first anniversary.

I've always wanted him to be a success here, but given everything going on it's starting to feel increasingly unlikely.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Heisenberg
December 16, 2020, 5:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
I’m hating this right now. I have to admit I was on here before he was appointed asking why we hadn’t interviewed him as he was desperate to get back in the game. He was my one and only candidate, and when he really was given the job I was both delighted and gobsmacked! And even THEN it appears the club got things wrong, AGAIN! I can’t quite believe it. Clearly our budget is hindering him, as it does with every manager we’ve had since the 90’s ended. But, Ollie is still responsible for flooding the squad with inexperience,  mixed with a smattering of has-beens. A recipe for disaster. I can’t help but think we’re doomed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
ginnywings
December 16, 2020, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Think the black hole of negativity at our club is still doing it's thing. He was full of bounce and vigour when he arrived. Doesn't take long for us to knock that out of managers and players.

Time to roll up the sleeves and get us moving toward safety, before that black hole deposits us back into non-league again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
RichMariner
December 16, 2020, 6:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
The thing is, I don't want to call for another manager to get sacked. Right now, I think Ollie deserves more time, but if I'm honest it only feels like it's going to go one way anyway - and that's downhill.

Slade never turned it around when given more time than other managers, and it felt under Jolley we were slowly declining. We, as Town fans, probably know better than Ollie what a slow death looks like, and this feels like it.

Like I say, not calling for him to be sacked but I've got to the point where I wouldn't argue against it if he did get the heave-ho.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Yoda
December 16, 2020, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Once the dark cloud of Fenty has been exorcised i think the club will be flying high
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Heisenberg
December 16, 2020, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from RichMariner
The thing is, I don't want to call for another manager to get sacked. Right now, I think Ollie deserves more time, but if I'm honest it only feels like it's going to go one way anyway - and that's downhill.

Slade never turned it around when given more time than other managers, and it felt under Jolley we were slowly declining. We, as Town fans, probably know better than Ollie what a slow death looks like, and this feels like it.

Like I say, not calling for him to be sacked but I've got to the point where I wouldn't argue against it if he did get the heave-ho.

I sort of feel the same, but if the board were to have the gall to blame this decline on Ollie alone, well, the hypocrisy would be laughable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
December 16, 2020, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
Think the black hole of negativity at our club is still doing it's thing. He was full of bounce and vigour when he arrived. Doesn't take long for us to knock that out of managers and players.

Time to roll up the sleeves and get us moving toward safety, before that black hole deposits us back into non-league again.

Absolutely this. It is no good feeling sorry for ourselves - get stuck in till the cavalry arrives in the shape of the January window, and what is on everyone's Christmas list - a new dynamic board of directors.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Absolutely this. It is no good feeling sorry for ourselves - get stuck in till the cavalry arrives in the shape of the January window, and what is on everyone's Christmas list - a new dynamic board of directors.

I'd love to know what people think a new board of directors are going to do. They are not going to throw cash at the manager overnight and in time for the January window in fact there's no way we will have a new board by then and in light of his last selections would you give Holloway any cash to spend? Frankly I wouldn't entrust him with the money to go and get the fish and chips

One other thought, will any new owners want to keep Holloway on as manager anyway?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 7:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I think new owners would keep him on once they’d have looked at the hand he’s been dealt. How could the board possibly have the cheek to sack him when its all their fault.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
heppy88
December 16, 2020, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Heisenberg

I sort of feel the same, but if the board were to have the gall to blame this decline on Ollie alone, well, the hypocrisy would be laughable.

Come on the board wont blame it on Holloway, they'll do what they always do, blame it on the fans!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
I think new owners would keep him on once they’d have looked at the hand he’s been dealt. How could the board possibly have the cheek to sack him when its all their fault.....

It won't be their fault it will be their predecessor's fault and of course as he has publically announced ad infinitum Holloway is Fenty's man

They might want a totally fresh clean sheet It will probably be nearer May and the end of the season than January by the time it's all sorted and signed

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 7:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Apologies Swin, yes I meant their predecessors who also can’t sack him as it’s all their fault!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
Apologies Swin, yes I meant their predecessors who also can’t sack him as it’s all their fault!

Also I'm not convinced any new owners will a) want the manager on the board and or b) want the manger to hold many shares, too hard to get rid of him

Still Holloway still hasn't but the promised money in yet so he'd best keep it in his pocket, which of course he may well decide to do anyway if his mate is selling up

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
December 16, 2020, 8:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd love to know what people think a new board of directors are going to do. They are not going to throw cash at the manager overnight and in time for the January window in fact there's no way we will have a new board by then and in light of his last selections would you give Holloway any cash to spend? Frankly I wouldn't entrust him with the money to go and get the fish and chips

One other thought, will any new owners want to keep Holloway on as manager anyway?

You know more about this new board of directors (who don't exist at present, so it's all in your mind) than anyone else, if you're sure they won't throw cash around.
I would point out that there are countless examples of new boards at football clubs making significant funds available to the club manager.

At the very least, the new board would be hard-pressed to be more penny-pinching and unambitious than the current mob.

Whether IH is the man to take us forward is questionable (performance-wise), but he arrived with ambitions for the club, and decent values.
Both are at odds with what we have come to expect from the JSF shitshow. There's the problem....

Reply: 17 - 26
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2020, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
As we’ve had countless managers whose career path has been wrecked by associating with our club, it would be nice to see him operate under a new regime. However, I’m not sure he’ll stay.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
GrimRob
December 16, 2020, 8:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from oochiad

What a terrible hand he's had. Given the whole salary cap to spend and blown nearly the whole lot on dross.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 26
promotion plaice
December 16, 2020, 8:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from GrimRob

What a terrible hand he's had. Given the whole salary cap to spend and blown nearly the whole lot on dross.

Not forgetting Covid  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Zmariner
December 17, 2020, 10:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GrimRob

I am afraid that is exactly how I see it as well, it is not completely dross Was probably above a relegation budget from this division. I am sure that this COVID clause did not help though, that said there have been some really awful signings. This team/squad is so poor it has relegation written all over it and I am normally completely loyal to the managers but I am not sure that I would procrastinate very long this time. This is a combination of a lack of quality and a lack of fight as well UTm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
GrimRob
December 17, 2020, 10:38am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Zmariner

I am afraid that is exactly how I see it as well, it is not completely dross Was probably above a relegation budget from this division. I am sure that this COVID clause did not help though, that said there have been some really awful signings. This team/squad is so poor it has relegation written all over it and I am normally completely loyal to the managers but I am not sure that I would procrastinate very long this time. This is a combination of a lack of quality and a lack of fight as well UTm

I know am was being unkind to say all the players are dross, just reflects my frustration. A few of them have real potential and with better players around them and more achievable directions, they could be the real deal.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 26
Limerick Mariner
December 17, 2020, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
One of the most damaging impacts of COVID IMHO was the loss of Limbrick...

I think Ollie needs to stay and sort out the current mess, partly of his making. I'd get an experienced assistant manager in now. He's fecked up on the squad building in the summer; I think a couple of the non leaguers might come off eventually and Edwards, Preston and Windsor are good enough to contribute with the right experienced players around them but we are totally lacking in leaders on the pitch and the experienced players Ollie brought in have largely been a failure - not good enough, not fit enough and/or too many sick notes. Ollie may have been relying on a fit Hanson to lead the line but he shouldn't have, we needed at least one other proven front goalscorer in the squad.

Most worrying thing for me about Ollie is his recent decision-making. Dropping James Mck for Russell was never going to be the right thing to do. James Mck has fecked up with his distribution - there is a workaround for that. There is no workaround for a keeper who can't stop shots...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
monkeyboy
December 17, 2020, 1:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Alex Ferguson had a really bad start at Manchester Unted and nearly got the boot.
He was big on bringing youth in wasnt he and look how that turned out.

Think we need a couple of years of patience with our very very good manager.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Sussexmariner
December 17, 2020, 3:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Most worrying thing for me about Ollie is his recent decision-making. Dropping James Mck for Russell was never going to be the right thing to do. James Mck has fecked up with his distribution - there is a workaround for that. There is no workaround for a keeper who can't stop shots...

Is there a workaround for a goalkeeper who kicks the ball into his own net under no pressure? ie Macca against Oldham

Apart from that howler at Southend how many mistakes has Russel made since he’s been keeper? I can’t blame him for any of the goals that we have conceded, never bought into this “Macca is our saviour” way of thinking amongst some Town fans.

When Holloway first came in we couldn’t believe our luck, the players he brought in obviously he had the money to spend to do that, we were all loving it, now  he’s made loads of mistakes (admits it himself) in getting the players he can on a lower budget than he wants, let’s wait until January and see what he does with the so-called extra money that the board will give him if it doesn’t work out, reluctantly, bye-bye Ollie

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
arryarryarry
December 17, 2020, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Is there a workaround for a goalkeeper who kicks the ball into his own net under no pressure? ie Macca against Oldham

Apart from that howler at Southend how many mistakes has Russel made since he’s been keeper? I can’t blame him for any of the goals that we have conceded, never bought into this “Macca is our saviour” way of thinking amongst some Town fans.

When Holloway first came in we couldn’t believe our luck, the players he brought in obviously he had the money to spend to do that, we were all loving it, now  he’s made loads of mistakes (admits it himself) in getting the players he can on a lower budget than he wants, let’s wait until January and see what he does with the so-called extra money that the board will give him if it doesn’t work out, reluctantly, bye-bye Ollie

Erm.....................how many games has Russell played and how many has McKewan played?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly needs to raise his game.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.