Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly needs to raise his game.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Olly needs to raise his game.

This thread currently has 4,343 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Yoda
December 16, 2020, 5:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Olly arrived with great fanfare and all the fans welcomed him with open arms, but i’m afraid to say he has been disappointing to say the least.
I would give him another 6 games to try to turn things around if not i fear he has to go.
I know it’s not all his fault with fenty doing his best to relegate us but he has to shoulder some blame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
December 16, 2020, 5:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
The transfer window will decide what happens.

Mess it up and he will walk.

Get it right and up the table we will go.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
geir
December 16, 2020, 5:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
We were all very pleased when he arrived, and he was on to something very good until last season were cancelled. Then he lost a lot of players due to the Covid-clause and he may as well have had other restrictions that made it difficult for him. No football managers can work wonders out of nothing. I would have liked to see some of those Premiership managers managing on a tight League Two budget. I guess it wouldn`t go all too well.
Give him the window on the promise from Day that he will be allowed more room to handle his business, and then, as Grimsby Pete says: "Mess it up and he will walk. Get it right and up the table we go".

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
moosey_club
December 16, 2020, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Its interesting to see him admitting he has made some horrendous mistakes ...possibly ...

not running over that black cat
coming in the first place,
investing
saying we are the best run club,
buying cheap and plenty
rotating too much

guess we will find out in his next book  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Poojah
December 16, 2020, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
I said before Colchester that we had had a particularly difficult start to the season, with two tricky games coming up against the U's and Newport, followed by six consecutive games against five sides then in the bottom 6 plus Morecambe. I felt at the time we should withhold judgement until then.

Colchester and Newport may have been free hits, but we took nothing from those games and have subsequently gone on to take 1 point from 6 from Mansfield and Colchester. Scunny on Saturday now looks a tricky fixture, Bradford will have a new manager and Morecambe are in form.

By heading into this run of games in such abysmal form, we really haven't made life easy for ourselves. From the current vantage point, it's difficult to see us picking up another win this year. If we don't, it's difficult to see Ollie making his first anniversary.

I've always wanted him to be a success here, but given everything going on it's starting to feel increasingly unlikely.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Heisenberg
December 16, 2020, 5:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
I’m hating this right now. I have to admit I was on here before he was appointed asking why we hadn’t interviewed him as he was desperate to get back in the game. He was my one and only candidate, and when he really was given the job I was both delighted and gobsmacked! And even THEN it appears the club got things wrong, AGAIN! I can’t quite believe it. Clearly our budget is hindering him, as it does with every manager we’ve had since the 90’s ended. But, Ollie is still responsible for flooding the squad with inexperience,  mixed with a smattering of has-beens. A recipe for disaster. I can’t help but think we’re doomed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
ginnywings
December 16, 2020, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Think the black hole of negativity at our club is still doing it's thing. He was full of bounce and vigour when he arrived. Doesn't take long for us to knock that out of managers and players.

Time to roll up the sleeves and get us moving toward safety, before that black hole deposits us back into non-league again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
RichMariner
December 16, 2020, 6:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
The thing is, I don't want to call for another manager to get sacked. Right now, I think Ollie deserves more time, but if I'm honest it only feels like it's going to go one way anyway - and that's downhill.

Slade never turned it around when given more time than other managers, and it felt under Jolley we were slowly declining. We, as Town fans, probably know better than Ollie what a slow death looks like, and this feels like it.

Like I say, not calling for him to be sacked but I've got to the point where I wouldn't argue against it if he did get the heave-ho.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Yoda
December 16, 2020, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Once the dark cloud of Fenty has been exorcised i think the club will be flying high
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Heisenberg
December 16, 2020, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from RichMariner
The thing is, I don't want to call for another manager to get sacked. Right now, I think Ollie deserves more time, but if I'm honest it only feels like it's going to go one way anyway - and that's downhill.

Slade never turned it around when given more time than other managers, and it felt under Jolley we were slowly declining. We, as Town fans, probably know better than Ollie what a slow death looks like, and this feels like it.

Like I say, not calling for him to be sacked but I've got to the point where I wouldn't argue against it if he did get the heave-ho.

I sort of feel the same, but if the board were to have the gall to blame this decline on Ollie alone, well, the hypocrisy would be laughable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly needs to raise his game.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.