3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
October 8, 2020, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Whilst comments like this from one of the head men of one of (if not the) richest Premier League clubs are a bit alarming, I still maintain that the Premier League overall will not have the appetite for B Teams in the EFL.

The Man City chap (I can't even be bothered to check his name) quite clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, highlighted when he says the EFL isn't sustainable.  Fair enough he can point to the Bury's and Macclesfield's of the world, but that's not about sustainability.  That's about damn poor ownership and chronic mismanagement, if he wants to point that finger I raise him a Portsmouth and before that a Leeds.  

At the minute, football as a whole is completely unsustainable.  Any business can be unsustainable if run badly enough.  It really doesn't matter how much money you create or pump in, if you're overspending it's unsustainable.  Last time I checked the Premier League clubs accounted for far, far more debt than the EFL ones.  

Anyway, back to the original point.  There is absolutely no benefit for Premier League clubs to put B Teams in the EFL.  None at all.  The point about German sides stealing our kids is completely mute.  Do you really think the prospect of playing against Swindon and Forest Green Rovers would have meant Jadon Sancho said no thanks to Dortmund?  

The current loan system works perfectly well and clubs know this.   The benefit of sending lads out on loan is not only good for their physical and technical development, but it's mentally beneficial too.  Keeping the likes of Harry Kane in that little Under 23 bubble would have done him far less good than sending him on loan to Leyton Orient, Millwall et al.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Rick12
October 9, 2020, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner
There is absolutely no benefit for Premier League clubs to put B Teams in the EFL.  None at all.  The point about German sides stealing our kids is completely mute.  Do you really think the prospect of playing against Swindon and Forest Green Rovers would have meant Jadon Sancho said no thanks to Dortmund?  

The current loan system works perfectly well and clubs know this.   The benefit of sending lads out on loan is not only good for their physical and technical development, but it's mentally beneficial too.  Keeping the likes of Harry Kane in that little Under 23 bubble would have done him far less good than sending him on loan to Leyton Orient, Millwall et al.
I can see pros and cons though. I for one am not against having premiership B teams playing in the lower league divisions. Hence happens in other county's. Likewise with the current system players being sent out loan from the premiership in the current system is all well and good but that can bring its all downfalls. Hence takes up existing players positions and can lead to jealously .Hence I know this as players who have played  in the lower leagues have told me. Ultimately the club and the player will do what's best for themselves so the question of loyalty doesn't really come into it. Its money that is the main thing which will win through.

The history of the game leaves also food for thought. Hence the Chinese were the first that played an early form of football .The English as people may know then refined it. Hence I think that as well is why there so many full time professional clubs in England as opposed to Italy and Spain where many are part time eg the third tier of our equivalent .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
pen penfras
October 9, 2020, 10:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Rick12
I can see pros and cons though. I for one am not against having premiership B teams playing in the lower league divisions. Hence happens in others county's. Likewise with the current system players being sent out loan from the premiership in the current system is all well and good but that can bring its all downfalls. Hence takes up existing players positions and can lead to jealously .Hence I know this as players who have played  in the lower leagues have told me. Ultimately the club and the player will do what's best for themselves so the question of loyalty doesn't really come into it. Its money that is the main thing which will win through.

The history of the game leaves also food for thought. Hence the Chinese were the first that played an early form of football .The English as people may know then refined it. Hence I think that as well is why there so many full time professional clubs in England as opposed to Italy and Spain where many are part time eg the third tier of our equivalent .

I don't know what annoys me more, your support for b teams that would possibly be the end of us, or your chronic misuse of the word hence šŸ˜‚
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Rick12
October 9, 2020, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't know what annoys me more,  or your chronic misuse of the word hence šŸ˜‚
I need to sort it  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
It Bites
October 9, 2020, 11:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,215
Gold Stars: 266
My opinion is that if football league clubs can't operate within their means then they don't deserve to survive. If b teams arrive the fault won't lie with the premier League. Fans think they own the club's , they don't .
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
RichMariner
October 9, 2020, 2:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
That Man City owner saying the EFL isn't sustainable... well, neither is Man City. If the owners get bored and leave, I doubt they'll be able to sustain the wages they're paying on gate receipts and PL money alone.

So he can shut up.

Also, he says 17 and 18-year-olds aren't in the right place to develop. What, your club? That's right. Man City is not the right place for them. They should be playing men's football further down the leagues ā€” which is exactly what they'd be doing, had you not hoovered them up at 13 years old.

The system worked perfectly fine before, the PL broke it and now they're trying to blame the EFL and cash-strapped clubs for a problem they've created.

This situation is of their own doing. Let 17 and 18-year-olds develop at the lower levels without hoovering them up. And if they look ace, sign them. It'll still only cost you, what, Ā£1m for a talent at L2 level?

And think about how much money Man City would save by not spending money on developing players from the ages of 13 through to 18. They'd probably save more than they'd spend to buy them when they're developed to their liking.

The whole thing stinks. Rich people telling poor people what to do, yet again. Rich people blaming poor people for rich people's problems.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
The Yard Dog
October 9, 2020, 4:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
You need someone at the top of the EFL and FA to have a big set of balls.

To take control

The Premiership is destroying the whole fabric of English football pyamid.

Devaluing all domestic cup competitions, we are playing too many games. However happy to travel all over Europe playing games.
The Champions League, which is not the Champions league.
No replays, cutting every avenue of revenue for the lower clubs.
Awash with bog standard foreign players, while younger talent does not get a look in.
Foreign managers wanting a winter break at Christmas, tradionally when fans look forward to boxing day, New Year's day matches.
Every manager wanting to play the "Pep way" goalkeepers playing out the back and one forward up top. I am not taken in will all the Pep hype.
Pundits getting carried away with all these match stats, the stats that count are the goals for and against.

Cut the Premiership off and revamp the EFL to 92 teams incorparating the National league as part EFL.

No promotion to the Premiership would devalue the Permiership and exclude them from all domestic competitions. No relegation would make the Premiership far lest interesting, without the relegation dog fight.
EFL to negoigate they own TV rights

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
GrimRob
October 9, 2020, 5:06pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Grimsby Town have in business since 1878, if that's not sustainable what is? We've survived two world wars and Spanish, Asian and Hong Kong Flus. We have been in business longer than Tesco, Royal Dutch Shell, Ford Motors and practically every company listed on any stock exchange anywhere in the world.  Our fellow 72 league clubs are largely of the same vintage.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.Ā Ā 
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 23
pen penfras
October 9, 2020, 5:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob
Grimsby Town have in business since 1878, if that's not sustainable what is? We've survived two world wars and Spanish, Asian and Hong Kong Flus. We have been in business longer than Tesco, Royal Dutch Shell, Ford Motors and practically every company listed on any stock exchange anywhere in the world.  Our fellow 72 league clubs are largely of the same vintage.

His point is probably that without handouts from the Premier League, we're not sustainable. That's not entirely true, because we kept going without them whilst in non league. However, we didn't have anywhere near the same youth setup and things were even more miserly. There are certainly some clubs that wouldn't be able to be full time with their average attendance and are subsidised by handouts from above.

Does anywhere other than Spain and Portugal actually have B teams in the league system? I think Germany do but not in the same way. Nobody watches B teams and I certainly wouldn't start supporting another team if we were ousted by a B team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
headingly_mariner
October 9, 2020, 6:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
They can intercourse off. I would hope that any right minded lower league football fan would be doing all sorts to get this games called off if it ever happened.
The trophy was bad enough. Iā€™d expect to see the fans on the pitch stopping a league game taking place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The beast finally reveals itself

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.