Northbank Mariner
October 6, 2020, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Humbercod
Am I correct in thinking the players are not getting their full salary whilst not playing due to covid? So I think this is a good idea if it means the lads getting paid.

They are now back on their full rate, the 25% reduction was put in place during the furlough period..i believe the current situation will have no effect on their salaries
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
jamesgtfc
October 6, 2020, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
I do think our cautious approach will backfire. Look at Orient, at least half of their squad was infected so as a squad, they are well on the way to herd immunity.

Not saying herd immunity is the solution but if most of a team get it in one go, the chances of having more disruptions is reduced. Let's say the players come back tomorrow, go to Bolton and next week another player gets sent home and tests positive. We have already set the precedent and the players will be working out in the front rooms again.

Now I know immunity isn't proven, at least in the long-term but very few have caught it again so that gets you through the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
diehardmariner
October 7, 2020, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
The problem is that there's not enough known about the virus to suggest a herd immunity would actually work.  It's not that long ago that we were told young people were apparently immune to the virus.

I'm not saying it isn't a viable option, herd immunity that is, personally I can see the growing merits for it.  Long term we have to look at what the impact is of not doing normal stuff.  How many more people are going to die as a result of a depleted economy and/or routine treatments stopping.  

I think at the minute I'm still siding with Town when it came to shutting everything down when one player tested positive.  It's still the risk of spreading the virus further, outside the 'bubble' of the football club itself.  I think the club have that responsibility to the wider community.

Absolute rock and a hard place for anyone making that decision.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
jamesgtfc
October 7, 2020, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
The problem is that there's not enough known about the virus to suggest a herd immunity would actually work.  It's not that long ago that we were told young people were apparently immune to the virus.

I'm not saying it isn't a viable option, herd immunity that is, personally I can see the growing merits for it.  Long term we have to look at what the impact is of not doing normal stuff.  How many more people are going to die as a result of a depleted economy and/or routine treatments stopping.  

I think at the minute I'm still siding with Town when it came to shutting everything down when one player tested positive.  It's still the risk of spreading the virus further, outside the 'bubble' of the football club itself.  I think the club have that responsibility to the wider community.

Absolute rock and a hard place for anyone making that decision.

I understand us taking the decision we took when you consider anything that happens is all on the chairmans head. Nobody knows how long immunity lasts but the rates of reinfection are low, suggesting there is some immunity there. Orient, with their 17 positives are far less likely to go down with it again than we are with our 1 positive.

If the EFL come out and punish teams though, people are going to start lying about it if they aren't already.

The positive case on the Crewe coach only came about because the player, without symptoms, went and sought a test himself without the club knowing for reassurance as there was another positive in the camp and he has a young baby at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
pen penfras
October 7, 2020, 12:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I understand us taking the decision we took when you consider anything that happens is all on the chairmans head. Nobody knows how long immunity lasts but the rates of reinfection are low, suggesting there is some immunity there. Orient, with their 17 positives are far less likely to go down with it again than we are with our 1 positive.

If the EFL come out and punish teams though, people are going to start lying about it if they aren't already.

The positive case on the Crewe coach only came about because the player, without symptoms, went and sought a test himself without the club knowing for reassurance as there was another positive in the camp and he has a young baby at home.

Are there any confirmed cases of people being infected twice? I know a couple of people claim to be, but as far as I know, there are no official cases where somebody has tested positive after recovering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
Posh Harry
October 7, 2020, 1:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from pen penfras

Are there any confirmed cases of people being infected twice? I know a couple of people claim to be, but as far as I know, there are no official cases where somebody has tested positive after recovering.

I think there was a bbc report a few weeks ago saying that a few cases in Asia (Hong Kong had one I think) have caught it a second time. But then again it was the bbc reporting it.........

Unless someone has been ill in hospital and then gets ill and goes to hospital again, I am not sure how they are going to prove it either way as it seems like a lot of the tests come up with false results anyway. Which is helpful!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
monkeyboy
October 8, 2020, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Swedish and players in Belarus all coming back with negative results now. it seems herd immunity is working in those places that never locked down with very few fatalities actually caused by the virus itself.
Lots of our deaths have been marked down as infected with Covid but not actually done in by it.

Im not saying the disease doesn't exist but i am saying its nowhere as dangerous as first thought.
At the beginning they didn't know what they where dealing with so made sense to lockdown but now its become a media farce and governments are too scared to back down with measures taken.

I think i would be happier playing Orient than a team that had no cases .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Maringer
October 8, 2020, 11:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from diehardmariner

The idea of herd immunity was always a really poor one with such a new virus which, quite literally, our bodies just have no experience of dealing with and we have no idea about how it affects the body. Flu has been around donkey's years as have the other main coronaviruses and common diseases which circulate all the time. Extreme adverse effects with them are very uncommon, but they do occur from time to time. It's not a surprise to find that this new virus has extreme adverse effects much more often. Truth be told, I'm surprised that so many scientists are still promoting it through the 'Great Barrington" stuff given what that is known already. Perhaps they are just being bloody-minded about it all and thinking about the survival of the fittest!

In the Yoo-Ess, their College sports (which are enormously well-supported and very lucrative) have been mostly suspended because of early evidence of heart damage caused by the virus to athletes who catch it:

https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....sed-with-myocarditis

Myocarditis - inflammation of the heart - seems to be a very common side-effect in the immediate aftermath of the virus amongst elite athletes. Not known as yet how long it lasts or whether it will clear up at all. In fact, this German study showed that it might be even more commonplace with infections in regular folk (who are obviously older and/or less fit) where 60% of those who had Covid-19 had heart problems afterwards (and only a third of those in the study required hospital treatment so not just those with the most serious infections):

https://cardiovascularnews.com.....d-covid-19-patients/

The myocarditis will quite possibly sort itself out in many cases in the longer term, but this just goes to show that you really, really want to avoid catching this virus if at all possible (which it might not be longer-term). Even with a mild infection, it could have life-limiting after-effects. The big concern is that diagnosis of these heart complications isn't straightforward as the tests are pretty expensive to run at the best of times, so it may be that some of the professional players who catch the virus don't become very ill from it, but might still be greatly at risk afterwards without realising the danger. Remember the shock when Marc Vivien Foe died on a football pitch after a heart attack and Muamba's survival? What if we were seeing one of those every couple of weeks as the season continued? Might be very feasible, especially if you consider the number of players who were infected at Orient without knowing anything about it.

Regarding the risk to the population in general, this article discusses an important scientific paper which has discovered that in many of the fatal cases, an auto-immune response due to Covid-19 is what causes the problems with your own body producing antibodies against interferon, a vital part of your immune system. It seems that a substantial number of people may have this issue and not suffer a great deal from most illnesses, but Covid-19 just happens to makes it go into overdrive, so you produce more interferon, and your body produces more antibodies against it, which produces more interferon and so on. Final result, lungs flooded with fluid and extreme illness, sometimes leading to death:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/09/28/interferon-and-the-coronavirus

The study also found that around 0.3 percent of their healthy control group had antibodies against this type of interferon which would indicate that perhaps 200,000 people in the UK might have the same issue. That's on top of the number of people (mostly over 50 years) who will succumb to the virus for other reasons.

Ultimately, if we can't develop a vaccine which is effective or can't find some good treatments over the next 12 months, then perhaps we'll have to go the herd immunity route. No sensible reason to go that way now. For those who say, "What about the economy?", the response is what might the cost be of treating millions of people with serious heart complaints for decades into the future?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deadline Day 2.....its looming

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.