Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Just back..

This thread currently has 6,011 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
September 5, 2020, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Well, somebody had to start it!!..
Scannell, get him match fit hell boss this league, Rose and Williams  looks like they'll control midfield but we do need a back up for Hanson, good finish by Green but not an out an out front man.
Think we'll be fine thus season but not expecting too much for the first 6-8 games until the team settle..
Logged Offline
Private Message
ex-merseymariner
September 5, 2020, 6:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Just back.... from where?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
sonofmadeleymariner
September 5, 2020, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Scannell and Pollock for my MoM. All the new guys impressed apart from Gibson, but only because he never really got the chance to. Green scored a good goal so he's half way through last seasons tally already. Scannell looks a class above this league if we can get him fit and then keep him fit I can only see good things at the moment. Special mention to the young lad Khouri thought he looked very composed when he came on

If we'd had a full preseason we'd of beat Morecombe today, it was only when tired legs started to kick in did they come back into the game get this squad fit and i'm very optimistic of our chances going forward.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
GollyGTFC
September 5, 2020, 6:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Scannell and Pollock for my MoM. All the new guys impressed apart from Gibson, but only because he never really got the chance to. Green scored a good goal so he's half way through last seasons tally already. Scannell looks a class above this league if we can get him fit and then keep him fit I can only see good things at the moment. Special mention to the young lad Khouri thought he looked very composed when he came on

If we'd had a full preseason we'd of beat Morecombe today, it was only when tired legs started to kick in did they come back into the game get this squad fit and i'm very optimistic of our chances going forward.

Green scored 4 goals last season in all competitions. And today was only an EFL Cup match so he’s not half way to his league tally of 2 last season anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 29
grimsby pete
September 5, 2020, 6:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
We need a few weeks to get everybody fit and to get to know each other.

I think we will end up nearer the top than the bottom.

Agree we need a striker let's hope one of the new lads can cut the mustard.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 5, 2020, 6:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

The fridge

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Nelly GTFC
September 5, 2020, 6:29pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,761
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Watching on top of the roof? 1930s stylee like my dad used to as a kid?

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
moosey_club
September 5, 2020, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229

We had a very young side out there come the end, squad depth will be a key and we dont have masses of experience beyond the first 15/16 which showed at the death.
Lack of pre season games also showed , on the odd occassion i think Preston forgot he was out on loan as he passed a couple of times straight to red and white     but his take and run for our goal was superb.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
LondonMariner43
September 5, 2020, 6:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
I liked the way we played most of the time once we’d settled after the early goal.  Back 5 looked composed most of the time and we have Hendrie to come back.  Preston, Waterfall, Pollock, Hendrie and McKeown must be a very decent L2 standard.

Midfield played it around nicely and the diagonal balls out wide worked well with Scannell’s quality on the end.  Will be interesting to see who are the first choice three.  Rose, Williams and then one from a few.  

I’d be surprised if Green and Tilley are first choice but Scannell looks a cut above.  His ability to control the ball was immense.

Seeing last season how Ollie can develop a team I feel like we should be looking up rather than down but maybe mid table with a hope of play offs rather than right up there.  

Exciting to see so many young players- is Khouri only 17? He could end the season in the first team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
GTFCH
September 5, 2020, 6:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
Two things...

1) Couldn’t agree more with IH re not being allowed to make 5 subs. Some lads were out on their feet and no where near ready for 90mins. Ridiculous how it’s one rule for the prem and one for FL.

2) Was it just me or was the ref blowing his whistle twice all the time. Particularly noticeable during the pens. Can someone please explain?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Kris2
September 5, 2020, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GTFCH
Two things...

1) Couldn’t agree more with IH re not being allowed to make 5 subs. Some lads were out on their feet and no where near ready for 90mins. Ridiculous how it’s one rule for the prem and one for FL.

2) Was it just me or was the ref blowing his whistle twice all the time. Particularly noticeable during the pens. Can someone please explain?

It was probably just the stream with a slight delay on the commentary feed. You hear it on the match video and the commentary stream. Or maybe it's anew rule who knows.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Croxton
September 5, 2020, 9:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
In terms of fitness I thought Scannel was excellent for so little preparation. Hewitt worked hard and was calm under pressure. Rose settled into the Hess slot really well and has a good range of passing. Khouri took over and showed energy, calmness and vision.
Williams linked well with Preston but seems best when he recieves the ball in space and can feed the movement of others.. He isn't a scrapper. Preston was excellent.
Tilley has a good engine but overplayed at times. Edwards was so impressive. Shame all three subs were left a little late.
Our game management suffered due to poor fitness levels. Scannel could have been tried down the middle for 20 min with Edwards on the left allowing Gibson to go on the right. We learned nothing keeping Green on so long. Gibson hasn't the experience of receiving passes with back to goal.
Lastly, I admire Max's fighting spirit but again he risks injury with some tackles.  I'd rest him next game to have him fresh for the league start.
All in all, a useful and encouraging exercise but the pitch is an urgent issue!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
thefish
September 5, 2020, 9:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GTFCH
Two things...

A 2) Was it just me or was the ref blowing his whistle twice all the time. Particularly noticeable during the pens. Can someone please explain?

Simple... the bloke has waited bloody months to officiate again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
jaygy
September 6, 2020, 12:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I noticed the double whistle but put it down to the echo in an empty BP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
arryarryarry
September 6, 2020, 1:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
With the way we approached the penalties I'm sure IH didn't want to win this match.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Mayaman
September 6, 2020, 1:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GTFCH
Two things...

1.  You can't make excuses for lack of fitness.  It is after all a level playing field.  Morecambe obviously prepared better. We complain when we have too many games and we complain when we haven't had enough.  The players had nothing to do since March but stay fit.  Of course, It's not like playing a match but it's what they're paid to do.   A British soldier can't say that he isn't fit because we haven't had a war in ages.

2. Maybe it was echoing of the empty stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
davmariner
September 6, 2020, 1:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mayaman

1.  You can't make excuses for lack of fitness.  It is after all a level playing field.  Morecambe obviously prepared better. We complain when we have too many games and we complain when we haven't had enough.  The players had nothing to do since March but stay fit.  Of course, It's not like playing a match but it's what they're paid to do.   A British soldier can't say that he isn't fit because we haven't had a war in ages.

2. Maybe it was echoing of the empty stands.

I think that’s a fair point about fitness. We looked way behind Morecambe in that respect. I suspect we came back a week or so too late. Maybe to save an extra week of wages from the furlough money? And obviously our slow recruitment hasn’t helped either.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
forza ivano
September 6, 2020, 1:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from davmariner

I think that’s a fair point about fitness. We looked way behind Morecambe in that respect. I suspect we came back a week or so too late. Maybe to save an extra week of wages from the furlough money? And obviously our slow recruitment hasn’t helped either.

Nail on the head Dav. Needs to be remembered that we missed hansen,hendrie, Mohsni,

OHman and clfton, all regular starters, with the first 2 being our 2 best players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Henryscat
September 6, 2020, 2:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
It’s 2am and I can’t sleep so I thought I’d read the Morecambe forum’s match thread. Quite a few on there bemoaning their fitness at 80 minutes compared to ours so just goes to show.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
malkamalka
September 6, 2020, 12:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from GTFCH
Two things...

It's not, they threw out the option to extend it last week.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Son of Cod
September 6, 2020, 12:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Is anyone particularly arsed about going out? Yeah it's always good to win, but could definitely do without extra games once we get going.

Absolute clanger for their goal, better to get them out of our system in these first two games before Walsall though. Could do without a repeat of those opening day errors we saw against FGR a few seasons ago.

The goal was quality. Great ball from Pollock, Preston did superbly and then Green couldn't have hit that better really considering there were so many defenders near him.

Hopefully Mckeown never takes a pen ever again after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 6, 2020, 1:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Son of Cod
Is anyone particularly arsed about going out? Yeah it's always good to win, but could definitely do without extra games once we get going.

That was my thought straight after losing. At least it frees up the calendar for several midweeks in the not too distant future.

Now that a good wodge of teams are out of the Carabao Cup, I wonder if those who lost will still try to organise a few more sneaky friendlies amongst themselves just to build up fitness?

It does make you wonder if Ollie had the idea all along to use it as a 'friendly', and if they were to lose, it would free up three consecutive Tuesdays in September?????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
September 6, 2020, 1:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from Son of Cod

Absolute clanger for their goal, better to get them out of our system in these first two games before Walsall though. Could do without a repeat of those opening day errors we saw against FGR a few seasons ago.

The goal was quality. Great ball from Pollock, Preston did superbly and then Green couldn't have hit that better really considering there were so many defenders near him.

Hopefully Mckeown never takes a pen ever again after that.

So you don’t fancy playing a big club like Chelsea again?
Reply: 22 - 29
chipsandgravy
September 6, 2020, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,631
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 28195

At the moment.......no!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Tommy
September 6, 2020, 1:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 28195

I get ehat you mean, but if we played them whilst no fans or limited fans are allowed in, it wouldn't exactly be much of a money-spinner anyway. Progressing in the FA Cup where we could realistically stay in it till next year when crowds might be allowed in properly would be a better chance of a lucrative cup run.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Ipswin
September 6, 2020, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
And we didn't need the money?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Son of Cod
September 6, 2020, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from 28195

Of course I would but as mentioned in the other reply to this the monetary value of that is less this season plus the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to take a significant following to any of these types of games in the early rounds of the League cup. Those extra games that we have to play to get that might mean we sacrifice a bit of league form. With the way we've gone about our transfer business so late and cautiously this pre-season, I'd like to think (maybe the eternal optimist in me) that we've factored in the most extreme circumstances, such as the league being cancelled again due to a second COVID wave, and are able to balance the books better than most in our division without needing the speculative prospect of an absolute hammering at Wolves at the expense of league points. I'd be more bothered about going out the FA Cup 1st Round as that might actually be able to give us a decent pay day when the 3rd Round comes around if we can stay in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
arryarryarry
September 6, 2020, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Son of Cod

Of course I would but as mentioned in the other reply to this the monetary value of that is less this season plus the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to take a significant following to any of these types of games in the early rounds of the League cup. Those extra games that we have to play to get that might mean we sacrifice a bit of league form. With the way we've gone about our transfer business so late and cautiously this pre-season, I'd like to think (maybe the eternal optimist in me) that we've factored in the most extreme circumstances, such as the league being cancelled again due to a second COVID wave, and are able to balance the books better than most in our division without needing the speculative prospect of an absolute hammering at Wolves at the expense of league points. I'd be more bothered about going out the FA Cup 1st Round as that might actually be able to give us a decent pay day when the 3rd Round comes around if we can stay in it.

If it was live on TV that would have been a significant amount of money.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Mallyner
September 7, 2020, 9:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I’d be surprised if Green and Tilley are first choice but Scannell looks a cut above.  His ability to control the ball was immense.

I was extremely impressed with Scannell.

I thought Green worked hard and took his goal well and Tilley has potential, but just needs to look up before crossing the ball, which usually ended up at Morecambe defender's feet.

Morecambe had a couple of big black guys who ran powerfully with the ball, turning defence quickly into attack; Pouten, Cockerill types of player we have tried to emulate over many past seasons, without success.

But it's early days yet and perhaps we have one.

UTM  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
sam gy
September 7, 2020, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Shout out to Matt Green, who gets dogs abuse but that was a very good, calm finish to lift it above the defenders and GK like that. Plenty of obstacles in the way!

Looks like the Town faithful have taken to ripping him apart for spelling mistakes on twitter instead, after proving himself on the pitch.

Best supporters in the land? Yawn.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.