Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 257 Guests

Best performance from opposition player at BP

This thread currently has 5,976 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Withnail
August 31, 2020, 6:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Gaffer58
Mick McCarthy for Barnsley, you could see he was destined for higher up, Man City later. Also the Icelandic lad whilst playing for a Bolton, went to Chelsea and then Barcelona, and my old brain cannot remember his name, apart from finishing in “son”.

Gudjohnsen. What a player. Great shout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
Youngy
August 31, 2020, 6:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Muzzy Izzet for Leicester is a shout. Absolute workhorse whilst having top flight ability and of course, that goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
TwoLeftFeet
August 31, 2020, 8:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
Ray Houghton for Fulham ran us ragged. Robert Prosinecki, just oozed class. Craig Johnston and Paul Walsh for Liverpool reserves, when reserve games were high quality. David Cross and a few others for West Ham when they took apart the excellent team we had at the time. Two young keepers on the up, Joe Hart and David James. Recently, the young Exeter striker whose name escapes me. Scored a cracker and soon moved on from them.

Loads over the years, too many to mention.

Remember David James making one of the best saves I've ever seen saving a Tony Ford shot at Osmond end playing for Watford early 90's.. also that Liverpool reserve team John Walk was class that night too.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
cmackenzie4
August 31, 2020, 8:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Youngy
Muzzy Izzet for Leicester is a shout. Absolute workhorse whilst having top flight ability and of course, that goal

That goal is the best I’ve ever witnessed at Blundell Park

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
promotion plaice
August 31, 2020, 8:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Defender John Stone when he played for Darlington in their 7-2 defeat at BP.

We signed him not long after  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
Les Brechin
August 31, 2020, 8:20pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Charlie Nicholas for Arsenal for me but special mention to defender Mark Fish of Bolton who's performance had the Bolton fans singing "One Fish In Grimsby, There's Only One Fish In Grimsby"

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
ginnywings
August 31, 2020, 8:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Remember David James making one of the best saves I've ever seen saving a Tony Ford shot at Osmond end playing for Watford early 90's.. also that Liverpool reserve team John Walk was class that night too.

Aye! Still don't know how he saved it.

Think Jan Molby may also have been in that Liverpool team, and possibly Barry Venison. The gulf between them and us was massive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
livosnose
August 31, 2020, 9:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,186
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Withnail
So while our squad is reassuringly starting to take shape I wondered which oppositon player, over the years, do you think had the most accomplished performance against the Mariners at Blundell Park?

Stevie Bull smashing a hat trick against us, first game of the 96/97 season, is up there for me, along with Lee Clarke for Newcastle when they went up to the Prem under Keegan. I also remember Paul McGrath being class for Villa in 94 and Eric Thorstvedt in sticks for Spurs looking unbeatable.

I was at BP when Kerry Dixon's Chelsea clinched the title but was too young to remember individual performances, likewise Charlie Nicholas's for Arsenal. Gullit while composed on the ball for Chelsea at BP in 05 didn't have a stand out game iirc.

I'm sure there are loads of other great performances I missed or forgot to mention. Who's your stand out opposition player at the park?

The Kerry Dixon game was in 1984 and it was my first ever game.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
Poojah
August 31, 2020, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye! Still don't know how he saved it.

Think Jan Molby may also have been in that Liverpool team, and possibly Barry Venison. The gulf between them and us was massive.

This save from Richard Wright from Stacy Coldicott (who remembers him having hair!?) on our return to the second tier was pretty special - go to 9:20:

[youtube]WifhwyyX9eg[/youtube]

Wright went on to play for England, but never really fulfilled the potential he seemed to have after signing for Arsenal.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
MuddyWaters
August 31, 2020, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Ray Houghton for Fulham ran us ragged. Robert Prosinecki, just oozed class. Craig Johnston and Paul Walsh for Liverpool reserves, when reserve games were high quality. David Cross and a few others for West Ham when they took apart the excellent team we had at the time. Two young keepers on the up, Joe Hart and David James. Recently, the young Exeter striker whose name escapes me. Scored a cracker and soon moved on from them.

Loads over the years, too many to mention.

Ollie Watkins.

I remember a very young Jermaine Jenas having a great game for Forest against us and Joe Hart in goal for Shrewsbury.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.