Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How will we do this season? (Poll)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

How will we do this season
Play-Offs
2nd/3rd
Champions
8th-12th
13th-17th
18th-22nd
Relegated
  View Results 150 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

How will we do this season? (Poll)

This thread currently has 4,118 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 23, 2020, 6:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
How will we do this coming season?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 6:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

As long as we stay in business and pay our bills I can't see us getting relegated even if we finish bottom.

I'm expecting at least two other clubs to have financial troubles and get big points deductions.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
jamesgtfc
August 23, 2020, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
8th-12th.

I think we will start slow due to our pre-season schedule or lack of it. A week is a massive difference and we don't have any other friendlies arranged before the season starts in 2 weeks with the cup games.

I think we will finish the season strong but ultimately miss out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 7:30pm

Oh and I voted 18th-22nd purely on where we are now .

Might/should change when I see what other signings Ollie comes up with.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
denni266
August 23, 2020, 7:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I voted for us to be relagated , but only from looking at what players we have now.  I fully expect us to get more players , but will they be what we need . time will tell. A better time for a poll is when we have a squad together so we can judge better, but at the moment we are miles away from a squad and then getting them to gel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 23, 2020, 7:53pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
8-12

Mid table mediocrity this season.

As good as his influence proved to be at GTFC for the 10 weeks he had, because of the COVID situation, that influence will have to start over again. At least last season he had a team to play with immediately whereas this season, unless Ollie has a really busy 2 weeks with new signings, he is only working with 3/4 of the players he needs.

Slow start to the season but picking up pace as the season goes on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
pizzzza
August 23, 2020, 8:29pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from promotion plaice

As long as we stay in business and pay our bills I can't see us getting relegated even if we finish bottom.

That's the spirit!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 8:33pm

Quoted from pizzzza

That's the spirit!

Haha...Cheers  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
ginnywings
August 23, 2020, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
People are already saying it's all about the season after next, pretty much what we've been hearing for the last 20 years. We are constantly rebuilding for some glorious future that never arrives. I'm hoping IH is the one to finally get us up to the higher reaches of the league, but that's all it is at this moment, hope.

Not going to get my hopes up, been there, done that too many times.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Poojah
August 23, 2020, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
For me, I think the truth probably lies somewhere between the outlooks of those who got a little giddy and talked of promotion bets after we made a handful of signings a week and a half ago and the doomsayers who are predicting major problems given the poor preparation ahead of the season.

Let’s be honest, if this were a normal season where we are right now would be hugely concerning. The players have had little by way of proper training, and friendly matches are few and far between.

We have a squad which contains only 13 seasoned, EFL pros, by which I’m defining as having played more than a handful of games at this level (excluding Sam Russell, who is essentially a coach first and foremost). That’s a worryingly small number, and if we do add to it I’d expect it to be by no more than 2 or 3.

The bulk of the players we’ve brought in are relative unknowns at this level, as are the crop of youngsters who will make up the rest of this season’s squad.

As concerning as that is, we are by no means the only League Two club in this predicament. Take a look at the BBC Sport homepage for League 2 - there is very little going on.

We do have the benefit of the division’s most experienced manager, but let’s not get carried away here either. Ollie has some fantastic achievements in his locker, but like most managers he also has failures too. Perhaps more pertinently, as experienced as he is, he has zero experience of managing under these circumstances. Like every other manager in League’s One and Two, he’s learning on the job right now.

There are a handful of clubs who appear to be going about their business and spending with relative normalcy. They’re the usual suspects, and good luck to them - I expect them to be the ones nailed on for promotion. We can’t do that, so we have to make the most of the cards at our disposal.

On balance, I expect a slow start with a gradual improvement that leads us to a point of relatively comfortable safety, but little more than that. A promotion chasing season would be a fantastic tonic for us all, but I think it’s a fanciful idea.

The only thing that matters over the course of the next twelve months for GTFC is survival. Yes, in the EFL of course, but most importantly as a going concern. I’m not trying to be unnecessarily dramatic here, but the last six months have been incredibly difficult for the club and we still do not know what the next six months or so hold.

I think we’ll do ‘ok’, next season, but above all I just hope that we and in fact all 72 EFL clubs are still around in a year’s time. Well, maybe not MK Dons...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
monkeyboy
August 23, 2020, 9:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
It’s impossible to tell really at this point. We certainly won’t be the worst team.
It’s definitely a building process with the young lads that we are getting and they look like they can put the goals away.
Who knows what can happen. Gonna be an exciting ride
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
aldi_01
August 24, 2020, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m struggling to see beyond anything other than finishing just outside the relegation zone.

I suspect other clubs will be in the same predicament as us which means the scrap to steer clear of the bottom may include more clubs than the scrap for promotion.

The ‘buzz’ that existed from the time Holloway came in has well and truly disappeared, this could be a factor too. I appreciate it is nobody’s fault but that loss of excitement could play a part.

As some have said, if we were in this position in normal circumstances we’d be concerned and rightfully so. Under the current circumstances there can be a little leeway.

I’m hoping we’re all surprised but I guess with the last 5 months it’s hard to really be super optimistic, couple that with the fact we can’t actually go and watch a game which again, for me feels like the season isn’t real or actually happening.

Holloway has had good and bd parts to his career, I hope we see a good part but I guess my current thought process comes from a place of concern rather than overly pessimistic. I suspect this question will need revisiting around November time.

I do think there are wider contributing factors, which again, other clubs will be experiencing but this isn’t really a debate about the club and it’s own lack of ambition: we’re focusing on the playing staff and coaching and how they will fair. I guess some are more optimistic than others.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Garth
August 24, 2020, 7:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
The balls are in the air as they say, anyone can do anything this season, we have an inexperienced crew but a flamboyant captain at the wheel in Ollie.
Let's see if he can navigate us into the blue yonder or fearfully floundering on the rocks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Mallyner
August 24, 2020, 7:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
As I have been for the past 65 years, I am forevever hopeful.

Hoping for an Ollie miracle, I have gone for the play offs.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
August 24, 2020, 9:49am
Guest User
I’ll be glad of a team to support, frankly.
Reply: 14 - 20
GTFCH
August 24, 2020, 10:42am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
I’ll just be happy to get back in the stands to watch the team I love play some footy again. Seems a very long time since Scunny away.

Not going to be easy for any club at our level this season. We’re all in a similar boat so who knows where we can get to.

Convinced we have the best manager in the league who could get a team to thrive in such difficult circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
oochiad
August 24, 2020, 10:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Well the buzz of having IH hasn’t gone for me at all. I think with the Covid situation without him we’d be in deep trouble but I’m still excited at what he’ll get out of our players. You might call me deluded but I’m still very excited at IH being with us. Top half would be a great accomplishment thanks s season under these circumstances. UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Ipswin
August 24, 2020, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
The good thing about all the noise, bravado and bullshit Holloway has shown about what he wants to do for the club means he isn't going to walk away if / when it goes mammaries up (unless there is a big bust up with the board) his pride won't let him admit defeat.

I agree he can 'get them to thrive' but you can't make a silk purse etc If the players aren't good enough (and lets hope that is a minority of them) even Holloway's skills aren't going to carry the day

Just above the relegation zone for me and I think that will be perfectly reasonable

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Grantham_Mariner
August 24, 2020, 12:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Won 4 tickets for Grantham Town a while ago, so I think I might take in a game or two watching them until I can watch Town again. (Unless they clash with iFollow Town games that is!)

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
August 24, 2020, 3:37pm
Guest User
With all the imponderables, the votes are mostly gut-feeling guesses - we all realize that.

I'm a bit surprised at the low expectations tbh. If Hanson and Williams can stay fit (   ) we've a top-notch player up front and in midfield.
Our defence & keeper are decent. If Ollie plans 3 at the back, we need a plausible defensive midfielder. Hendrie could do the job maybe,
or perhaps Mohsni. His disciplinary record is scary, but IH wouldn't have signed him if he felt he wouldn't stay on the pitch long.
(Though every previous manager Mohsni has had in this country probably felt the same way and were wrong.   )

Sisay is presumably Hanson's cover/understudy. And bring him on, to rest Hanson, when we're 2 up or 3 down.

So (3-5-2):

Green/Jackson/Gibson                  Hanson (Sisay)

Clifton/Jackson        Williams                    Hewitt                 Tilley/Wright
                                               Mohsni

Pollock (Idehen)       Waterfall (Ohman)         Hendrie

Macca

...with maybe Mohsni & Hendrie swapped. Not too bad to my ageing eyes. Williams could be super-special imo.

Clearly if we're going to have a good season we need at least one of the young strikers to make the grade fairly quickly (   ).
They've shown they can score given more time and space at a lower-level. They should benefit from playing alongside Hanson,
who occupies many of the opposing defenders thoughts.

Anyway, my head being unable to assess all the possibilities football-wise or  Covid19-wise - I shall vote with my heart: Champions!

(If our first 2 loan signings are Glennon and Benson this won't look quite so stupid. But I do get notoriously optimistic at this time of year.)

UTMM
Reply: 19 - 20
August 24, 2020, 4:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mallyner
As I have been for the past 65 years, I am forevever hopeful.

Hoping for an Ollie miracle, I have gone for the play offs.

Yep ever hopeful 55 years, I've gone for Champions.
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How will we do this season? (Poll)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.