Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How will we do this season? (Poll)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

How will we do this season
Play-Offs
2nd/3rd
Champions
8th-12th
13th-17th
18th-22nd
Relegated
  View Results 150 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

How will we do this season? (Poll)

This thread currently has 4,119 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 23, 2020, 6:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
How will we do this coming season?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 6:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

As long as we stay in business and pay our bills I can't see us getting relegated even if we finish bottom.

I'm expecting at least two other clubs to have financial troubles and get big points deductions.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
jamesgtfc
August 23, 2020, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
8th-12th.

I think we will start slow due to our pre-season schedule or lack of it. A week is a massive difference and we don't have any other friendlies arranged before the season starts in 2 weeks with the cup games.

I think we will finish the season strong but ultimately miss out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 7:30pm

Oh and I voted 18th-22nd purely on where we are now .

Might/should change when I see what other signings Ollie comes up with.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
denni266
August 23, 2020, 7:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I voted for us to be relagated , but only from looking at what players we have now.  I fully expect us to get more players , but will they be what we need . time will tell. A better time for a poll is when we have a squad together so we can judge better, but at the moment we are miles away from a squad and then getting them to gel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 23, 2020, 7:53pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
8-12

Mid table mediocrity this season.

As good as his influence proved to be at GTFC for the 10 weeks he had, because of the COVID situation, that influence will have to start over again. At least last season he had a team to play with immediately whereas this season, unless Ollie has a really busy 2 weeks with new signings, he is only working with 3/4 of the players he needs.

Slow start to the season but picking up pace as the season goes on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
pizzzza
August 23, 2020, 8:29pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from promotion plaice

As long as we stay in business and pay our bills I can't see us getting relegated even if we finish bottom.

That's the spirit!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
promotion plaice
August 23, 2020, 8:33pm

Quoted from pizzzza

That's the spirit!

Haha...Cheers  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
ginnywings
August 23, 2020, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
People are already saying it's all about the season after next, pretty much what we've been hearing for the last 20 years. We are constantly rebuilding for some glorious future that never arrives. I'm hoping IH is the one to finally get us up to the higher reaches of the league, but that's all it is at this moment, hope.

Not going to get my hopes up, been there, done that too many times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Poojah
August 23, 2020, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
For me, I think the truth probably lies somewhere between the outlooks of those who got a little giddy and talked of promotion bets after we made a handful of signings a week and a half ago and the doomsayers who are predicting major problems given the poor preparation ahead of the season.

Let’s be honest, if this were a normal season where we are right now would be hugely concerning. The players have had little by way of proper training, and friendly matches are few and far between.

We have a squad which contains only 13 seasoned, EFL pros, by which I’m defining as having played more than a handful of games at this level (excluding Sam Russell, who is essentially a coach first and foremost). That’s a worryingly small number, and if we do add to it I’d expect it to be by no more than 2 or 3.

The bulk of the players we’ve brought in are relative unknowns at this level, as are the crop of youngsters who will make up the rest of this season’s squad.

As concerning as that is, we are by no means the only League Two club in this predicament. Take a look at the BBC Sport homepage for League 2 - there is very little going on.

We do have the benefit of the division’s most experienced manager, but let’s not get carried away here either. Ollie has some fantastic achievements in his locker, but like most managers he also has failures too. Perhaps more pertinently, as experienced as he is, he has zero experience of managing under these circumstances. Like every other manager in League’s One and Two, he’s learning on the job right now.

There are a handful of clubs who appear to be going about their business and spending with relative normalcy. They’re the usual suspects, and good luck to them - I expect them to be the ones nailed on for promotion. We can’t do that, so we have to make the most of the cards at our disposal.

On balance, I expect a slow start with a gradual improvement that leads us to a point of relatively comfortable safety, but little more than that. A promotion chasing season would be a fantastic tonic for us all, but I think it’s a fanciful idea.

The only thing that matters over the course of the next twelve months for GTFC is survival. Yes, in the EFL of course, but most importantly as a going concern. I’m not trying to be unnecessarily dramatic here, but the last six months have been incredibly difficult for the club and we still do not know what the next six months or so hold.

I think we’ll do ‘ok’, next season, but above all I just hope that we and in fact all 72 EFL clubs are still around in a year’s time. Well, maybe not MK Dons...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How will we do this season? (Poll)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.