2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
March 12, 2020, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
No I'm not selling them just letting anyone who is a collector of Town programmes about two that are in an auction at Lockdales of Ipswich on 28/29 March. Details as follows:

1) Town v Manchester City 4th Sept 1926 Estimate £200-220

2) Cup semi-final v Wolves 25/3/39 at Old Trafford Estimate £200-220

Auction is on line for those who can't attend in person

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
grimsby pete
March 12, 2020, 2:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin
No I'm not selling them just letting anyone who is a collector of Town programmes about two that are in an auction at Lockdales of Ipswich on 28/29 March. Details as follows:

1) Town v Manchester City 4th Sept 1926 Estimate £200-220

2) Cup semi-final v Wolves 25/3/39 at Old Trafford Estimate £200-220

Auction is on line for those who can't attend in person

My dad had the Wolves semi final one and he attended the game,

Sadly when he died I was in the USA and by the time I got back all his football stuff had been chucked out,

He also kept a diary of every home match we played that season and he told me I could have them when he had gone.

To say I was drunk off is a understatement apart from shredding a tear at his funeral.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Chazzer
March 12, 2020, 2:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from grimsby pete

Sadly when he died I was in the USA and by the time I got back all his football stuff had been chucked out,

He also kept a diary of every home match we played that season and he told me I could have them when he had gone.

To say I was drunk off is a understatement apart from shredding a tear at his funeral.

Disaster!

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
jock dock tower
March 12, 2020, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Town pre WW2 programmes always sell well.

The Wolves semi final, if it's in good condition should fetch between £350 and £400.

Town programmes from the 1920s are incredibly rare, and I'd expect that to reach £300 at least.

Some excellent prices for Town stuff at the sportingold auction last week, especially the 1914-15 GTFC handbook which went for £240, despite being in poor condition. It was offered to me, along with a host of other collectable handbooks, a couple of  months ago as the chap selling them knew I collected such material (albeit a number of years ago) As I don't now, I turned down the opportunity, but he had some wonderful stuff, and the handbook from 1914-15 had a guide price of just £25-£30!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
FishOutOfWater
March 12, 2020, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

My dad was at the Old Trafford semi too Pete

Don't know if he had the programme or not

He told me about the wall collapsing there and being crushed under the weight of everyone pressing forward

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 17
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 12, 2020, 10:46pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
I wonder how much Wayne Burnett's shirt that he was wearing when he scored at Wembley is worth?
That must be one of the most recent items of any interest unless you can count when Town won in the play-off to get back into the EFL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
hampshiremariner
March 12, 2020, 11:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
I love this sort of stuff but the prices are beyond my pocket. We should always remember that our club has a very proud heritage. I recently looked back over some past fixtures in 1933. At Christmas in that year we beat Man Utd home and away and were top of the Second Division. Little did people realise the danger that was ahead with Hitler by then German Chancellor and already dismantling the Weimar Republic.
Jackie Bestall was a regular visitor to Spilsby Grammar School to coach the first eleven. My father used to eulogise about Jackie’s ball control. Father, being a good clogging stopper could only watch and marvel at the little genius.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
KingstonMariner
March 13, 2020, 7:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Love the way you slip from us beating Utd, to Adolf Hitler, and then Jackie Bestall in the next breath.

My entry for 1954 reads:
“Town ended the season with a 2:2 draw at Stockport County. The end is nigh for the French in Indo-China after the surrender at Dien Bien Phu. The pre-season tour of Devon is marred by calf injury to Ron Rafferty.”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
hampshiremariner
March 13, 2020, 4:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Nice one! Your remark puts some context into the proceedings. Ron Rafferty, great player for us. I strongly believe that we should have some pride in the club for its rich history.

I read about the Man U victories in an article in the Guardian (online archive site). I just thought what else was going on in the world at the time with Hitler coming to power.I shouldn't think they gave it a second thought in 1933.

Being the 1930s Jackie Bestall came to mind next. Both my grandfather and father would go on about him when I was a kid.

Some of the regulars in my local down here laugh when I say I am a Town fan, so a bit of history shuts them up. In the same season 1933, Southampton were near the bottom of Division 2. The Saints are not such a big club as they like to think. You have to stand your corner when you are exiled. When they're told that big Lawrie Mac learned his managerial skills at BP they look at me as if I am mad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
KingstonMariner
March 13, 2020, 6:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Nice one! Your remark puts some context into the proceedings. Ron Rafferty, great player for us. I strongly believe that we should have some pride in the club for its rich history.

I read about the Man U victories in an article in the Guardian (online archive site). I just thought what else was going on in the world at the time with Hitler coming to power.I shouldn't think they gave it a second thought in 1933.

Being the 1930s Jackie Bestall came to mind next. Both my grandfather and father would go on about him when I was a kid.

Some of the regulars in my local down here laugh when I say I am a Town fan, so a bit of history shuts them up. In the same season 1933, Southampton were near the bottom of Division 2. The Saints are not such a big club as they like to think. You have to stand your corner when you are exiled. When they're told that big Lawrie Mac learned his managerial skills at BP they look at me as if I am mad!

Cheap shot I know. Sorry, wasn’t meant maliciously.

A lot of people probably didn’t give a second thought to Herr Hitler’s appointment as Reichskanzler in 1933. Some, however, like the Daily Mail were happy about it.

I have no idea about the 1954. I don’t even know if RR was playing for us then and when in 54 the battle at Dien Bien Phu occurred.

I’ve lived most my adult life as an exile so I get where you’re coming from. We have a proud history as a club. Sadly it is mostly just that. History.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rare Town programmes for collectors

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.