Heisenberg
March 12, 2020, 9:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Croxton
I have difficulty making any decisions at my age but we have to be guided by what's best for the most vulnerable. When I drive over from Sheffield on Friday............
Do I still visit 95 year old mum in law in her care home?
Ditto, my elder brother with COPD?
Attend the Exiles event in the Trust Bar?
Avoid congested Row G in the Upper and sit in a more isolated area? (some around me would love that!)
Not bother planning to go to Cheltenham?
Cancel plans to attend to attend the Surrey funeral on Thursday of a friend of 45 years?
etc. etc.

I'm fine with the IFollow thing and the club can keep my STH  money in lieu of a good deal over the next two seasons.

I think visiting your brother who has COPD would be a very wrong decision, mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
golfer
March 12, 2020, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01

Joking aside, this is where it all starts going ducking daft. How can you say football needs stopping because of large amounts of people in one space but keep open boozers...

It can all get a bit daft if people aren’t careful. The fact we’re reminding people to wash their hands says it all...

I often stand in the toilets watching men at B.P. having a wee   (it's only to see how many wash their hands - and it's not many)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
Jarmo.Is.God
March 12, 2020, 10:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I understand that behind close doors should work, and will work for lower league teams.
But look at PSG last night, had thousands stood outside the stadium, so might as well been in there.

The only thing that annoys me, is there is currently thousands of people shoulder to shoulder, watching horses run round a field, and that's not an issue?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
Mariner Timsky
March 12, 2020, 10:43am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Its all over the place currently - Spanish doing the behind closed doors games and then last night thousands travelled to the game from Spain to Anfield  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
jock dock tower
March 12, 2020, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from golfer

I often stand in the toilets watching men at B.P. having a wee   (it's only to see how many wash their hands - and it's not many)

That is just SO wrong.....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
rancido
March 12, 2020, 11:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Are they proposing to close supermarkets and large stores ? I cannot understand the logic if they don't. Using GTFC as an example , we are possibly going to get a gate of about 4,000 - 4,500 for Saturdays game. Now I'm fairly confident that any of the big supermarkets in Grimsby ie ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons etc will get a footfall of much more than towns attendance on Saturday. Admittedly it will be spread out over a greater period of time but there is still the possibility of a cashier early in their shift passing the virus on to many customers plus the likelihood of passing it on to a co-worker who in turn passes it onto to customers. Bearing in mind these supermarkets are open every day and there is only a football match once a week then there is a greater threat from supermarkets than football matches in any specific area.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
diehardmariner
March 12, 2020, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I've previously held quite a laid back approach to this pandemic (as it is now).  Until as recently as the weekend I took the stance that the flu is a killer every year and this is no different.

But I'm definitely at the tipping point when it comes to concerns over this.  Not so much because of the virus itself, which I admit is getting scarier with every outbreak and the worrying growth of the mortality rate.  It's the pressures this will place on already stretched system that concerns me.

Our health and social system isn't set up for 2020 and any pandemic like this has the real potential to the straw to break the back.  Added to that the panic that is being whipped up.  It all feels a bit like the domino effect in waiting here.  As soon as the first school shuts down we're in for a real stormy ride.  

School shuts down - parents have to stay at home to look after kids - essential services struggle to cope as the staff are at home - Supplies aren't getting to shops because staff are at home, never mind staff in the shops to sell the goods.  If it goes on long enough we'll also have a production problem because no-one is at work to produce it.

There's also mixed messages around when people should self isolate.  It's the change of season, people generally have a sniffle and a cold at this time.  If everyone with anything resembles a cold locks themselves in a room for 14 days, this country is going to come to an absolute standstill overnight.  

Medically I don't know enough what the benefit is or isn't from having sports or any mass spectated events closed to the public.  From a common sense perspective any limits that can be placed on further strain placed on the system is sensible.  But I'm conflicted as to when it becomes a case of sensible tipping into have a detrimental impact on the economy and the knock on effect of that to everyone.

As disappointed as I'll be to miss games and whilst thinking that I'd rather see the season go into the summer months rather than have games behind closed doors, a game of football taking place is well down my list of concerns at the minute.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Croxton
March 12, 2020, 11:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Good points but it's not really only about footfall as crowd density and personal distance. For big PL games, fans are more likely to transmit the virus on crowded public transport, in pubs and motorway fast food outlets. Transport of all kinds is one of the biggest factors in making a pandemic and stopping movement is more powerful than the actual match seating plan.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
grimps
March 12, 2020, 12:00pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
I’d hope that if this was implemented then maybe the FA and football league could use some of their coffers to cover some of the costs .
Another way of thinking is that many other sections of society are likely to be effected by this pandemic , we might all have to take a knock on our wages and face disruption , maybe players having temporary pay cuts as many of the general public might face would help .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
Les Brechin
March 12, 2020, 12:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Maybe they should just scrap this season entirely.

Now that really would upset a few Scousers!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GAMES BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.