This thread currently has 5,281 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 11:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
You only have to look at Doncaster Rovers to see how missing suppport can come back. After being systematically run down and basically thrown to the wolves the club came back. Attendances at the Keep Moat are still a healthy 7,000ish despite their precarious position in the league - a far cry from the gates of 1,500 odd when they were non league.

I love BP, and will really feel a loss when it does eventually go, but accept that a new ground can have the desired effect in turning finances around and bringing new fans in with the god-awful "matchday experience" Makes me wonder where we go wrong when Scunny can change grounds twice  - both times to new builds - and we still look on forlornly. Why would that be, I wonder?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
barralad
November 23, 2017, 12:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
This may not be a popular view but maybe it is time to look at regionalisation again.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 1:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
We have regionalised football at our grade of non league football in Scotland. The furthest my club has to travel is 53 miles from base, apart from Junior Cup ties which are national, so I have a 94 mile journey to Hill O'Beath Hawthorn this weekend, but that's the exception to the rule.

Regionalised football does give bigger crowds up here, when teams like ours travel away and take 250-300 to most games. Other teams might bring  a mini bus full, so it works for some but not others, but it certainly does help with managing a club's finances over the season with less travel involved.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
grimsby pete
November 23, 2017, 1:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad
This may not be a popular view but maybe it is time to look at regionalisation again.

I have thought that for a long time Ian,

Bigger crowds and less travel expense for fans and clubs,

Makes more sense than a under 21 team in the league.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Les Brechin
November 23, 2017, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from barralad

Not for me really. I enjoy my trips and overnight stays at places like Exeter and Torquay when we were in The Conference.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
LH
November 23, 2017, 2:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
I know there are some extreme cases like Hartlepool and Carlisle being several galaxies away from Torquay and Exeter for example but the average distance between league grounds is probably around a few hours. I don’t see why in the age of motorways, high speed (and high cost) rail and even aeroplane we’d need regionalisation in professional English football.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
GrimRob
November 23, 2017, 3:36pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
If they did regionalisation I think would mean League Two North and League Two South,  as there are more professional teams than in the Division Three North/South days. I can't see League One wanting to lower their standard. So it would mean merging with the National League and trips to places like Guiseley again! Plus only 2 promotion places instead of the 4 we currently enjoy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 30
Les Brechin
November 23, 2017, 3:59pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Back in the days of Division 3 North and South there was only one promotion place from each division. There was one team (Plymouth I think it was) who finished runners-up for 5 or 6 seasons on the trot. That must have been soul destroying for them and their fans.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 4:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not for me really. I enjoy my trips and overnight stays at places like Exeter and Torquay when we were in The Conference.

You could always have an overnight in Donny should we cross their paths again soon?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
grimsby pete
November 23, 2017, 4:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jock dock tower

You could always have an overnight in Donny should we cross their paths again soon?

We had a good few nights out in Donny in the 60's.

The girls did not believe us when we said we had come from Grimsby.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.