4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
November 22, 2017, 10:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Some really poor ones last night ours was bad BUT less than 1k at Morecombe when the visitors were the localish Crewe who surely would have had 200 or so?Just over 1k at Accy which whilst not unusual with Blackburn away at Oxford on the same night must be disappointing for them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
November 22, 2017, 11:05am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Some really poor ones last night ours was bad BUT less than 1k at Morecombe when the visitors were the localish Crewe who surely would have had 200 or so?Just over 1k at Accy which whilst not unusual with Blackburn away at Oxford on the same night must be disappointing for them?

Yeah, I saw that Morecambe attendance. 927!! Must be the lowest gate for any league game for quite a while.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
ginnywings
November 22, 2017, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Wet Tuesday night with Champions League on the telly. Town attendance was about what i was expecting.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Les Brechin
November 22, 2017, 11:09am

Quoted from ginnywings
Wet Tuesday night with Champions League on the telly. Town attendance was about what i was expecting.

I said before the game that I thought we'd just scrape 3000 which wasn't far wrong.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
grimsby pete
November 22, 2017, 11:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Only about 30 odd  more at Bury last night to see the bottom team BEAT the top team in L1.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 11:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Was at Queen of the outh vs Montrose Scottish Cup replay last night. Was expecting it to be less than 1,000 because of the alternative attractions in the Champion's League, but they got just 784, lowest home league gate for donkey's years. Bless Murdoch the high priest of fitba drama.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Abdul19
November 22, 2017, 12:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Does the Champions League have such an impact on attendances these days now it's not on ITV? (Although I know BT (not Sky) put the odd game of interest on free tv)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
ginnywings
November 22, 2017, 12:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19
Does the Champions League have such an impact on attendances these days now it's not on ITV? (Although I know BT (not Sky) put the odd game of interest on free tv)

My nieces fella is a half ar$ed Town fan and he will stay home on CL nights doing his online bets. I think it may knock a few off the gate, but not that many. Tuesday night games are always a little down on the norm anyway. I suspect those that have to travel any distance won't bother on a weekday. Then there is the football, which has been driving people away. The last home game was 300 down on the one before, so the trend is down anyway. Surprisingly, my brother turned up last night after saying he wouldn't be bothering. That's two games in a row now.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
1mickylyons
November 22, 2017, 1:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

My nieces fella is a half ar$ed Town fan and he will stay home on CL nights doing his online bets. I think it may knock a few off the gate, but not that many. Tuesday night games are always a little down on the norm anyway. I suspect those that have to travel any distance won't bother on a weekday. Then there is the football, which has been driving people away. The last home game was 300 down on the one before, so the trend is down anyway. Surprisingly, my brother turned up last night after saying he wouldn't be bothering. That's two games in a row now.

The crowds at Town are and have been low for a long time anything 5k+ is regarded as a good gate and I suppose at League 2 level it probably is a good gate with typically small away followings.I much prefer night games but I don`t really know why and I was saying as we walked to the ground I never ever used to go into BP expecting to see Town lose regardless of the opposition.I don`t think it would take nearly as much persuasion to get home support over 6k on a regular basis as some seem to think but they won`t just blindly turn up even if were winning every week.The Club needs to embrace the support and build on it cos it`s out there .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
grimps
November 22, 2017, 2:15pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The crowds at Town are and have been low for a long time anything 5k+ is regarded as a good gate and I suppose at League 2 level it probably is a good gate with typically small away followings.I much prefer night games but I don`t really know why and I was saying as we walked to the ground I never ever used to go into BP expecting to see Town lose regardless of the opposition.I don`t think it would take nearly as much persuasion to get home support over 6k on a regular basis as some seem to think but they won`t just blindly turn up even if were winning every week.The Club needs to embrace the support and build on it cos it`s out there .

We've not really been any good at home for the last 20 years , you can sort of see why everyone seems to prefer away games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
AndyDarloFC
November 22, 2017, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Shocked at the attendances at both Morecambe and Accrington, pathetic support from absolute gutless clubs.

Teams with fanbases like that should be nowhere near the football league. Ridiculous.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 30
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2017, 3:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Shocked at the attendances at both Morecambe and Accrington, pathetic support from absolute gutless clubs.

Teams with fanbases like that should be nowhere near the football league. Ridiculous.

To play Devil's Advocate Andy, if that's the case, why bother with the football? Why not just count the fans?

If it was the case that Morecambe and Accy had rich benefactors like Dale Vince at FGR then I'd have a bit more sympathy.

You'd also be pretty drunk off if Middlesborough fans sad that if Darlo got into the Championship.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Cloudy
November 22, 2017, 3:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Dont agree. Football must be decided upon the respective playing abilities not the size of the crowd.

Accrington have got where they are by astute player recruitment and then forming them in to a team. Take away the opportunity to advance through on the field matters then football is totally finished IMO
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
AndyDarloFC
November 22, 2017, 4:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
I'm not doubting the footballing abilities of the said teams, I'm just saying the there's many a Non-League club who get excess of 3000 per week. Yet these clubs struggle to get 1/2k per week.

Like you say above, Accrington have had a great couple of seasons and I am baffled as to why people from the town aren't backing them in a few more numbers.

It's just utterly ridiculous how sides like those can operate on crowds that low. Mental.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 30
Gaffer58
November 22, 2017, 4:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Can't understand why the league schedule midweek games from November through to February when it's dark, cold, wet etc. Why not play more midweek games early in September and October especially half term etc when the weather is better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Les Brechin
November 22, 2017, 4:38pm

Quoted from 1mickylyons

There were 205 Crewe fans, so only 702 home fans!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
ginnywings
November 22, 2017, 4:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Gaffer58
Can't understand why the league schedule midweek games from November through to February when it's dark, cold, wet etc. Why not play more midweek games early in September and October especially half term etc when the weather is better.

Also, why don't they make them more local? It's a long way from Wiltshire on a week night.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
grimsby pete
November 22, 2017, 7:21pm

Exile
Quoted from Gaffer58

A lot of those weeks are taken up with micky mouse cups

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 10:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Also, why don't they make them more local? It's a long way from Wiltshire on a week night.

I read about this in the Guardian about a fortnight back, and believe it or not it's a deliberate ploy by the Football League as they think the Saturday crowds for nearer to home games will mean better attendances. I just think they're completely barking! It certainly explains some of the more bizarre away games last year for Town. Although the article below is from 2008, complaining about the same thing, it perhaps does give some insight into midweek fixture compliation.

A 660-mile round trip on a Tuesday night is a step too far
The long journeys required by Football League fans this midweek were a joke, but is it a problem that can be resolved?
Doncaster football fans
Weary supporters at Doncaster Rovers' Keepmoat Stadium. Photograph: Asadour Guzelian/Guardian
View more sharing options
Shares
Comments
John Ashdown
@John_Ashdown
Friday 28 November 2008 12.49 GMT First published on Friday 28 November 2008 12.49 GMT
It's a tough time to be a supporter in the Football League. For many, any early-season optimism has been eradicated by the testing times of autumn. Some teams are hunkering down for a winter of relegation dogfights, while the fortunate few look forward to promotion scraps. The time it takes toes on the terraces to go from nought to frozen is little more than 20 minutes, no amount of woolly hats and scarves can prevent the chill from getting into your bones. And travelling fans are bracing themselves for long nights on dark, lonely motorways in cars and club coaches or preparing for the ever-entertaining fun and games of the railway timetables.

It's this last point that has come into stark focus this week. It was pointed out on Monday's blog – and we've received several emails reiterating the same point – that this week's midweek Football League fixtures have been a nightmare for many away fans. One colleague of mine in the office suggested they were "a joke". The average distance for travelling fans to watch their team this week? A 306-mile round trip. It's no wonder that supporters up and down the country have been decidedly irked.

The statistics make quite interesting reading, so forgive me if I come over all Knowledge for a moment. (By the way, for the bulk of these figures I'm greatly indebted to the slightly scarily fanatical Tony Kempster and his utterly brilliant website – it really is a must for any lower league stats junkies out there).

In the Championship the average round trip was 221 miles, in League One 352 miles and in League Two 341 miles. Of the 34 midweek fixtures only eight involved a one-way trip of less than 100 miles, and just three journeys were less than 80 miles. This on a late-November evening with the risk of postponements (though fortunately no journeys were wasted this week, unless you count Morecambe fans' 660-mile round journey for a 0-0 at Bournemouth).

The five longest journeys this week were:
Morecambe's trip to Bournemouth (330 miles one way and the club's longest away trip of the season)
Carlisle's trip to Millwall (319 miles)
Bristol Rovers' trip to Hartlepool (278 miles)
Rochdale's trip to Gillingham (258 miles, the club's second longest away trip of the season)
Brighton's trip to Stockport (254 miles, the club's longest away trip of the season)

(In addition, the 247 miles from Rotherham to Exeter is the Millers' second longest journey of the season.)

By way of comparison, the five shortest were:
Charlton's trip to QPR (17 miles)
Brentford's visit to Luton (35 miles)
Nottingham Forest's visit to Doncaster (50 miles)
Chesterfield's visit to Bradford (81 miles)
Walsall's visit to Oldham (88 miles)

So it's been a week of half-day holidays and bleary-eyed mornings for supporters up and down the country. Why does it happen? There are plenty of reasons — the sheer number of midweek fixtures played by clubs in Leagues One and Two (Scunthorpe, for example, are already scheduled to play 12 midweek games this season, with the potential for more with cup replays and success in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy), the geographical spread of teams and the fact that some clubs are happy to play their long-distance fixtures in midweek.

David Cookson, fixtures secretary at the Football League pointed out in 2005:

"Supporters need to recognise that some clubs prefer to make long journeys in midweek - it cuts down on their overheads because they don't need to pay for overnight accommodation. The club will travel on the day of the game and head straight home after the match. These requests mean we now have very limited options when we try to minimise travel with supporters in mind. Fans do need to know that we do try and help them as much as we can, but at the end of the day the Football League has to get the fixtures played."

Ian Todd, the supporters' representative on the Football League's fixtures working party, and a 12-year veteran of the fixture-compiling process, feels it is simply not possible to make all midweek fixtures favourable for fans. "I recall not this season but the previous season, which was Morecambe's first season back in the Football League, they had a midweek fixture at Dagenham and Redbridge," he says. "I pointed that out and said 'For heaven's sake, are you expecting Morecambe to go to Dagenham and Redbridge on a Tuesday night?' And they looked at that within the fixture process and by reducing Morecambe's particular travel for that particular week, it increased the travel for everyone else within that their group [as part of the fixture-compiling process clubs are split up into groups within their respective divisions].

"It's very difficult but they are paying a little more attention to it. I do get some time before the final meeting and I do try and identify those that will cause concern. Out of a club's midweek games they try and ensure that no more than two are long-distance fixtures, though those are the ones that you always remember, of course. I recall a few years ago when Swansea were in League Two and their nearest clubs were Orient one year and Swindon the next. The geographical split is a problem for the Carlisles, the Yeovils, the Dagenhams, the Southends ... it's absolutely impossible to guarantee short distances."

The league strive for improvements each season and there is a system in place if clubs have any special requests or issues with the season's fixtures (for example, a growing concern among clubs is the scheduling of games on Champions League nights). And to give the fixture compilers their due, some match-ups this week were eminently sensible. Plymouth were away at Southampton, for example, Swansea played in Coventry (still 167 miles away, but less than the average away trip of 201 miles for Swans fans), and Chester's trip to Darlington could have been worse.

So how to solve this problem? Extending the season to reduce the number of midweek games? It's already stretched to bursting point. A blanket ban on midweek trips over, say, 150 miles? There are already so many factors involved in the process and restrictions in place. The computer would likely explode and Plymouth would only be able to play Bristol City. Regionalisation? That's a whole other basket of fish – and probably a blog in its own right. It would certainly ease the burden – both financial and time-wise – on fans, but would that be enough to offset the other problems it would bring? I'd imagine it's an issue that will raise its head more and more over the coming years. But for now it looks like the fans will have to grin and bear it.

Topics
Championship

Sportblog
League One

League Two

Championship 2008-09

League One 2008-09

League Two 2008-09

blogposts

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
1mickylyons
November 23, 2017, 6:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

We've not really been any good at home for the last 20 years , you can sort of see why everyone seems to prefer away games

Yes I take that point grimps but I like many others of a certain age who started supporting Town late 70s can vividly remember walking to the ground in my case with my Grandad and Uncles telling me how it was a fortress away teams hated playing there etc. My first game Town won 5-1 v Brentford and I think I was taken to 3-4 other games that Season the last one being Sheff Utd when we won the league and Town won every game.The two things I remember most about the home support back then it wasn`t on edge it expected to win and it backed the team unconditionally.I have no idea what the away followings were like at the time I don`t remember seeing much in the way of away supporters at BP but the gates were all 10k+. I think Town have a hardcore of around 4k but a massive floating support of around 15k+ and yet they never do anything to entice them in other than the same old and they compound that by taking the 4k for granted with the same old.It needs to change if they want to progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 11:41am
Special Brew Drinker
You only have to look at Doncaster Rovers to see how missing suppport can come back. After being systematically run down and basically thrown to the wolves the club came back. Attendances at the Keep Moat are still a healthy 7,000ish despite their precarious position in the league - a far cry from the gates of 1,500 odd when they were non league.

I love BP, and will really feel a loss when it does eventually go, but accept that a new ground can have the desired effect in turning finances around and bringing new fans in with the god-awful "matchday experience" Makes me wonder where we go wrong when Scunny can change grounds twice  - both times to new builds - and we still look on forlornly. Why would that be, I wonder?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
barralad
November 23, 2017, 12:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
This may not be a popular view but maybe it is time to look at regionalisation again.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 1:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
We have regionalised football at our grade of non league football in Scotland. The furthest my club has to travel is 53 miles from base, apart from Junior Cup ties which are national, so I have a 94 mile journey to Hill O'Beath Hawthorn this weekend, but that's the exception to the rule.

Regionalised football does give bigger crowds up here, when teams like ours travel away and take 250-300 to most games. Other teams might bring  a mini bus full, so it works for some but not others, but it certainly does help with managing a club's finances over the season with less travel involved.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
grimsby pete
November 23, 2017, 1:31pm

Exile
Quoted from barralad
This may not be a popular view but maybe it is time to look at regionalisation again.

I have thought that for a long time Ian,

Bigger crowds and less travel expense for fans and clubs,

Makes more sense than a under 21 team in the league.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Les Brechin
November 23, 2017, 2:03pm

Quoted from barralad

Not for me really. I enjoy my trips and overnight stays at places like Exeter and Torquay when we were in The Conference.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
LH
November 23, 2017, 2:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
I know there are some extreme cases like Hartlepool and Carlisle being several galaxies away from Torquay and Exeter for example but the average distance between league grounds is probably around a few hours. I don’t see why in the age of motorways, high speed (and high cost) rail and even aeroplane we’d need regionalisation in professional English football.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
GrimRob
November 23, 2017, 3:36pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
If they did regionalisation I think would mean League Two North and League Two South,  as there are more professional teams than in the Division Three North/South days. I can't see League One wanting to lower their standard. So it would mean merging with the National League and trips to places like Guiseley again! Plus only 2 promotion places instead of the 4 we currently enjoy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 30
Les Brechin
November 23, 2017, 3:59pm

Back in the days of Division 3 North and South there was only one promotion place from each division. There was one team (Plymouth I think it was) who finished runners-up for 5 or 6 seasons on the trot. That must have been soul destroying for them and their fans.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
jock dock tower
November 23, 2017, 4:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not for me really. I enjoy my trips and overnight stays at places like Exeter and Torquay when we were in The Conference.

You could always have an overnight in Donny should we cross their paths again soon?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
grimsby pete
November 23, 2017, 4:41pm

Exile
Quoted from jock dock tower

You could always have an overnight in Donny should we cross their paths again soon?

We had a good few nights out in Donny in the 60's.

The girls did not believe us when we said we had come from Grimsby.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2017, 6:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jock dock tower
We have regionalised football at our grade of non league football in Scotland. The furthest my club has to travel is 53 miles from base, apart from Junior Cup ties which are national, so I have a 94 mile journey to Hill O'Beath Hawthorn this weekend, but that's the exception to the rule.

I've seen them but they'll never amount to a hill o'beans.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.